mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Ibis Mojo SL - too good to be true?

I'm in the early stages of thinking about, researching, and drooling over going to FS for my next build after only riding 26" HTs. I'm in South Florida, so I'm riding rocks and roots, man-made bridges and other obstacles, short techy climbs, and switchbacks. I'm not a big jumper or dropper.

Came across the Mojo SL while researching the SC Blur LT/TR, Yeti 575, and Transition Bandit, and my jaw hit the floor. 140mm of travel, carbon frame, nice kashima-coated shock, and a 5.2 pound frame weight for $2,150?

Is there anything not to like about this bike? Has anyone had experience with it versus any of the other bikes on my list and can share their thoughts?

Thanks!

Wait for me!
    I can't comment on the other bikes on your list, but I personally own a Mojo HD and I'm very happy with it. The SL is essentially the slimmed down version of my bike with slightly less aggressive geometry. If you are planning on keeping the wheels on the ground, the SL is probably more than enough bike. The DW link is a great platform, I have my HD built up around 30 lbs and it still pedals and climbs really well. I would also throw the Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon on your list, another 140mm DW link carbon bike that's been getting really good reviews.

usually cranky
    no. for your purposes it sounds perfect. the low price is due to the new sl r. basically the same frame with a few upgrades.

mtbr member
    Why haven't you bought it yet?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Great bike for sure.

This should sweeten the pot for you:
    Google ibis mojo special blend. You can get the bike built ( with X-fusion suspension) for under 3k.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Great bike for sure.

Google ibis mojo special blend. You can get the bike built ( with X-fusion suspension) for under 3k.
    It certainly is a time-proven bike w a popular FS link platform. With many new standards and revamped designs , the SL plainly shows its effectiveness. The Special Blend package is especially attractive The X-Fusion rear shock -better than the Fox for this DW-Link bike I think, is particularly suited. Whatever valving/set-up for this app, it does it really well. The price is nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's an excellent bike. I owned an SL (stolen) and replaced it with an HD. For XC/Trail/light AM use, it's a wonderful, light, playful, efficient bike that can be built to suit a lot of purposes.

The frame is (relatively) cheap because it's an older product than the current SL-R and the investment in design and tooling has been recouped. What you lose out on are some stiffness improvements (in the frame itself, tapered headtube, rear thru-axle) and perhaps 50g of weight reduction.

The only word of caution I would have is that the geometry is a little steep by today's AM standards (69deg HTA with a 140mm fork) and it coupled with a short wheelbase makes it nimble, but one rider's "nimble" is another's "twitchy". As far as I know there are no options for angle-adjusting headsets.

Demo one if you can. If you can't, there's still probably a 90% chance you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post

The only word of caution I would have is that the geometry is a little steep by today's AM standards (69deg HTA with a 140mm fork) and it coupled with a short wheelbase makes it nimble, but one rider's "nimble" is another's "twitchy". As far as I know there are no options for angle-adjusting headsets.

Demo one if you can. If you can't, there's still probably a 90% chance you won't be disappointed.
    Yes there is an angleset for Ibis Mojo SL. Mine use 1.5 deg angleset, so now the HTA is 67.5 degree, good enough for me, DH is a lot more fun.
    I didnt have a chance to demo one, for me, if it looks good, with good review, and price is within my budget, then thats the one I want. Love it.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the replies so far!

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Why haven't you bought it yet?!
    Basically, because the Pivot Mach 5.7 exists. lol I'm really torn between these two. At the $2,200 price point for the frame, I'd probably get the 5.7 alloy, which is only about a 1/4 pound heavier than the Mojo SL. I'll have to make up my mind on the slacker geo of the 5.7 versus the more XC-like geo of the Mojo SL.

Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Great bike for sure.

The special blend is a great deal, but I'm looking at just the frame because I'll be swapping most of the parts (including wheelset, BB7 brakes, and 1x10 XT drivetrain) from my current ride. With the part swapping, I can get the frame, a new fork, and build the cockpit to my liking and end up with a XT build at about the special blend price.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    That's a great point, and one I'm struggling with compared to the 5.7. I'll be switching over from a '09 Fisher Marlin, so either bike will be a huge upgrade. The Marlin's geo is definitely closer to the Mojo's than the 5.7's, especially re: HTA and wheelbase, but I don't know if I'd be better served in the long-haul by going a little slacker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was stuck between the mojo slr (the upgrade for the sl) and the pivot 5.7
    I chose the 5.7, it just felt right to me. It climbs extremely well, handles like a rally car and is more bike than I will ever need. The slr felt twitchy to me and it did climb extremely well but downhill was a little more disconcerting.

mtbr member
    The pivot is built to thrash. Drops fast chunky decents. The mojo's wheelhouse is techy climbs and slower tech. It has such good balance. I would say stay away from the mojo if you plan on doing drops to flat and other stupid things...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just in case you haven't seen it yet...look at the HD special blend - really decent spec for 3700. Gives you more flexibility than either the 5.7 or the SL. You can run it as is, convert it to 140, or run it as a 650b with some easy mods. Gives you better pedal-ability than the SL (is heavier) and much better downhill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    To throw another wrench into this, how about the Blur LTa versus the other two (5.7 and Mojo-SL)? Any thoughts on the DW-link vs VPP suspension, or just general ride observations from you all with experience on 'em? Those are probably my three finalists . . .

EDR
    Get that SL frame and pick up an angleset to go with it. Sounds perfect for your described riding...you may not even find you need the angleset. I've never ridden in S. Florida but I gotta imagine a nearly 6'' travel bike is complete overkill.....especially if keeping the wheels primarily on the ground (Pivot 5.7). But, in the end get whatever floats your boat the most. You'll love either bike. Get the one that sticks in your mind late at night while trying to go to sleep. That's my advice You want to "love" your bike of choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Get that SL frame and pick up an angleset to go with it. Sounds perfect for your described riding...you may not even find you need the angleset. I've never ridden in S. Florida but I gotta imagine a nearly 6'' travel bike is complete overkill.....especially if keeping the wheels primarily on the ground (Pivot 5.7). But, in the end get whatever floats your boat the most. You'll love either bike. Get the one that sticks in your mind late at night while trying to go to sleep. That's my advice You want to "love" your bike of choice.
    Whichever frame I'd go with of these three, I'd probably put a 140mm fork on it, which is more like 5.5" of travel - would that still be complete overkill iyo? Not being combative, but just an honest question. I'd rather have a little more travel than I need than not enough, and I can tell you one thing for sure, my 100mm coil Recon that's on my 26" HT right now isn't really cutting the mustard. lol

Of the three, the one that sticks in my mind late a night is more often than not . . . the 5.7.

mtbr member
    140mm sounds on par for the SL. I would wait on an angleset, and ride the bike's stock HA first. Being in Florida specifically, you may enjoy the bike(s) as is, quicker steering to plugging into the downhill slop metric.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarbot View Post
    Whichever frame I'd go with of these three, I'd probably put a 140mm fork on it, which is more like 5.5" of travel - would that still be complete overkill iyo? Not being combative, but just an honest question. I'd rather have a little more travel than I need than not enough, and I can tell you one thing for sure, my 100mm coil Recon that's on my 26" HT right now isn't really cutting the mustard. lol

Of the three, the one that sticks in my mind late a night is more often than not . . . the 5.7.
    If there is one thing I've learned while mtb'ing 10 years now is 'overkill' is all a matter of perspective. People ride hardtails and singlespeeds on the chunkiest of PHX trails out here while other guys ride 5-6'' AM bikes and others ride 40lb rigs. Anything can be ridden anywhere with the proper skill. Just go with what your gut tells you...get that bike that is calling your name and you will be happy.

If you have no specific need...like a superlight XC bike for racing or a full on D/H bike for d/h racing then it's all a matter of what you want. Any of the bikes you listed will pedal great in addition to being capable of so much more. I have one ride, a Yeti 575, and I ride that bike with no complaints on trails ranging from relatively smooth xc singletrack to the occasional ski shuttle runs and all the chunk I can find in between the two. The bikes you list will be similar. Although a 69 degree H/A bike is a little steep for some of the stuff I like it might be perfect for your terrain. If not there is the angleset option...or a slightly slacker frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    If there is one thing I've learned while mtb'ing 10 years now is 'overkill' is all a matter of perspective. People ride hardtails and singlespeeds on the chunkiest of PHX trails out here while other guys ride 5-6'' AM bikes and others ride 40lb rigs. Anything can be ridden anywhere with the proper skill. Just go with what your gut tells you...get that bike that is calling your name and you will be happy.

If you have no specific need...like a superlight XC bike for racing or a full on D/H bike for d/h racing then it's all a matter of what you want. Any of the bikes you listed will pedal great in addition to being capable of so much more. I have one ride, a Yeti 575, and I ride that bike with no complaints on trails ranging from relatively smooth xc singletrack to the occasional ski shuttle runs and all the chunk I can find in between the two. The bikes you list will be similar. Although a 69 degree H/A bike is a little steep for some of the stuff I like it might be perfect for your terrain. If not there is the angleset option...or a slightly slacker frame.
    Fair point, and I really do appreciate your input. It's making me think long and hard about what would really serve me best.

How long have you had your 575? I've thought about the ASR-5c as well, which seems like a great frame for $2,400, but I'm a little unsure about the single pivot suspension. Have you had any gripes about it?

EDR

Re: Ibis Mojo SL - too good to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by ccarbot View Post
    Fair point, and I really do appreciate your input. It's making me think long and hard about what would really serve me best.

How long have you had your 575? I've thought about the ASR-5c as well, which seems like a great frame for $2,400, but I'm a little unsure about the single pivot suspension. Have you had any gripes about it?
    I've had every version of the 575. Starting in 2005, then I bought a 2008, and I now have a 2012 frame. Obviously I love the bike. Probably not the person to give you a fair judgement. This bike was calling my name since 2004. That's why I keep saying just get the bike that is calling for you.

I have little doubt the asr5 would be a fantastic bike for your area. A little lighter than the 575, and a little firmer. Would be perfect. However buy the bike that is calling you. There are so many great bikes out there it's overwhelming.

The 575 Is a little plusher.... Kind of couch like in comparison. Although I admit I have never ridden the 5.

My 575 with a heavy adjustable seatpost, and a relatively heavy 160 millimeter coil fork, comes in at over 30 pounds if I had to guess. I have no problems with that. But for your described riding, there would certainly be nothing wrong with you riding a five or six inch bike at 27 or 28 pounds.