Hooligan

Upset Ibis Mojo linkage bolt problem

My mojo's suspension started making an awful crunching sound at the end of my last ride. I had a chance to look at it tonight and found to my horror that one of the linkage bolts backed out and started to eat the seat tube. I am left with a few questions, the first I which brig how the hell am I supposed to tighten this bolt? It is hiding behind the seat tube where I can't get an Allen wrench at it. Second: what can I do about the carbon? Is it still safe to ride even though the seat stay is compromised? And third, why the hell would they design the link like this?

Hooligan
    having a very hard time uploading a picture. this one is sideways but still gets the point across.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Mojo linkage bolt problem-photo-3.jpg  

Dropshot Champ!
    use a 6mm allen to remove your shock from the rear linkage. You can leave it on the front linkage. This will free up your swingarm. Move the swingarm to make that bolt visable.

I'd remove bolt *(or all bolts if you've never once gone through your suspension!)* and check the bearing. Look up how to remove the bearing covers on a sealed bearing and flush/repack with grease.

Re-install all bolts with blue loctite.

It should take about 10minutes to do the whole bike. I'd count on some downtime as you'll probably need to install new bearings if you've never gone through the bearings and that color indicates that ibis mojo is definitely older. New bearings is something you might want the LBS to tackle if you're not comfortable with it.

here is a link to the ibis forum, which can better answer any more questions you have:

Ibis

best of luck!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Also, carbon usually has a "cosmetic" layer that has no structural use. It just makes it smooth and pretty.

If you just scratched the paint and this first layer a bit, you are probably fine. Ibis will probably tell you to replace the frame to cover their butts. They are good about not charging an arm and leg for parts. There are many carbon repair places that do good work if you want to go that route.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Hooligan
    I just bought this bike about a month ago. its a 2010 and spent all winter being serviced at the dealership. the previous owner got a 29er and i took the mojo off his hands. in the past month i think i put more miles on it than he did in the 3 years he owned it.

Hooligan
    thanks for the link. i managed to get the bolt back in by removing the shock. what a pain the the ass

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    I just bought this bike about a month ago. its a 2010 and spent all winter being serviced at the dealership. the previous owner got a 29er and i took the mojo off his hands. in the past month i think i put more miles on it than he did in the 3 years he owned it.
    when you are in the market for a 29er, call that guy again. He may have moved onto the next trend by then. It will probably be 29/26 combo or something.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Hooligan
    Haha! yeah i probably will. he was meticulous about maintenance and put every piece of bling possible on the mojo, then proceeded to not ride it and eventually sell it to me. he got the niner when he found it made him faster. personally i dont see myself running the big hoops any time soon, ive ridden them and dont see the day and night difference that the marketing department talks about. sure, they roll a little better, but to me its just not a big difference. i have short legs and fit perfectly on a medium 26" frame. i also like to follow the technology curve by about 5 years - its much cheaper that way and all the bugs get worked out for me.

Hooligan
    I actually still ride with the guy fairly often. he says that he likes to watch me ride the mojo the way it was meant to be ridden, but i feel bad about constantly thrashing the thing and scratching it up in front of him, but unlike him i certainty didn't buy it to look at it...

Hooligan
    the moral is that you can't buy talent - regardless of what new fads are coming out. they can help make you faster and braver, but the newest bike will never replace actual riding skills.
    sorry, end rant.

Hooligan
    and besides, the world needs people like him so that they can enable people like me
    after all, it takes all types.