mtbr member

New question here. I want to know: Is the Lyrik solo air DH better than a Fox Float 36 rc2?

Can someone enlighten me? Is the RockShox Lyrik Solo Air DH really better than the Fox Float 36 rc2?

Im on a Float 36 rc2 right now, and would like to know if I should go for the Lyrik DH. I ride what I would call aggressive AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i ride a lyrik, my friend, who does 10 foot drops, rides a lyrik, my other friend rides a lyrik, we all like them a lot, more than the fox.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Plus rockshox customer service is 1,000,000 better!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not tried the Float 36's but not got on with other Fox forks. My Lyriks have been faultless and simple to dial in like all my other RS's

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Coming off my 180mm '11 Van RC2 and riding a 160mm '12 Lyrik R Solo air on the same bike (Scott Voltage FR), I will say the Lyrik really surprised me. Just completed a trail ride on this setup and really liked how the Lyrik reacted. Did a few drops and jumps with it a few weeks ago and it took them really well. I know air vs coil are different and my Lyrik is rebound only but i love this fork. I plan on putting in the DH compression and rebound damper in it and I am sure it will really blow me away. I though Fox was the only way but really impressed by the Lyrik.
    I got my Lyrik R as a new take off for under $400 and buy the DH comp and rebound dampers and be around $570 for a $1k fork. Very happy camper.

mtbr member
    Im thinkin of switching to a Lyrik as well! I do know people were happier with the RC2 over the RLC on the Fox! Might be cheaper for you to shitch the carteidge to RC2? It has high/low speed comp. and no lockout!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Im thinkin of switching to a Lyrik as well! I do know people were happier with the RC2 over the RLC on the Fox! Might be cheaper for you to shitch the carteidge to RC2? It has high/low speed comp. and no lockout!
    +1 on the RC2 over the RLC. I hate the RLC. To switch the damper is around $350 when I called Fox a few weeks. Definitely not cheap.

If you want to switch from air to coil it's another $120.

If I could have found a Lyrik DH with coil, I would have picked one up if I couldn't find the Van.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    +2 on the RC2. The RLC is SUCH a pile! I have it on my '11 32 Float...POS! My '07 36 Float is friggin' amazing in comparison!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

RideDirt
    I got a 160mm lyrik on my bike w only rebound adjust, rides very good for what it is, I have the DH rebound and compression dampers coming in this week Should be a lot more fun blasting thru rock gardens and taking some drops.

wuss
    With either fork giving it some loving will improve it's performance a lot. Both my Lyrik and Van RC2 where dry from the factory, checking the bath oil level and greasing the seals made both feel like a different fork. With the Lyrik I later had someone also take the damping cartridges apart during a full service and it just became unbelievably smooth (never tried that on the Van RC2.

It's a pity really, how bad shape these forks are shipped in comparing to what their potential seems to be. I can honestly say the Lyrik after both operations is a nicer fork then the Van, but I don't know how much the Fox would have improved if it would have gotten the same service as the Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    With either fork giving it some loving will improve it's performance a lot. Both my Lyrik and Van RC2 where dry from the factory, checking the bath oil level and greasing the seals made both feel like a different fork. With the Lyrik I later had someone also take the damping cartridges apart during a full service and it just became unbelievably smooth (never tried that on the Van RC2.

It's a pity really, how bad shape these forks are shipped in comparing to what their potential seems to be. I can honestly say the Lyrik after both operations is a nicer fork then the Van, but I don't know how much the Fox would have improved if it would have gotten the same service as the Lyrik.
    My Van was dry from factory as well and i did not know it. I had it serviced and got new SKF seals and it is way better. Reason i went with the Lyrik was the deal i got.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Had a 36 float RC2 and enjoyed the weight savings but it never felt right for me. It deflected way too much for me and could never get even a decent small bump compliance setting. Picked up a lyrik, granted its a coil and added weight but was hands down much better than my float. I would like to try the lyrik air and then make a better comparison.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

wuss
    The air lyrik is less sensitive, and less supportive mid stroke, otherwise similar.

mtbr member
    Sold my rlc for the lyric- couldn't be happier- my fox felt like a noodle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar187 View Post
    plus rockshox customer service is 1,000,000 better!
    fact!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    With the Lyrik I later had someone also take the damping cartridges apart during a full service and it just became unbelievably smooth (never tried that on the Van RC2.
    I went thru and replaced the FIT cart boot and had a chance to look at the RC2's shim stack arrangement. I think I can tear into it and re-stack the shims. And after looking at the stack in my Avy 888 cartridge, I'd totally give it a go...maybe the next time I have it apart
    I also went thru and replaced the Float Fluid w/ assembly lube. My 36 Float feels sooo much smoother after. Next fluid I'll try is straight motor oil...20/50 wt from my VW.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Pin it
    The motor oil changes viscosity with temperature. Given your fork shouldn't approach the operating temperature of an engine, I could imagine you might feel the fork firming up towards the end of a long demanding downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantR View Post
    The motor oil changes viscosity with temperature. Given your fork shouldn't approach the operating temperature of an engine, I could imagine you might feel the fork firming up towards the end of a long demanding downhill.

I think you're referring to my post.
    No, not to use motor oil in the FIT cartridge, but as lube oil.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went from a Lyrik to RC2. I feel the RC2 blows the Lyrik away in consistent non-stiction travel. I tried and tried with the Lyrik, and after spending an additional $300 on it to make it work, it still isn't as good as the RC2 out of the box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    my specialiozed epic came with a rock shox fork and it's pretty amazing , i ride xc on that bike but it has been 6 ft off the ground and with a solid dh landing,knock on wood , no problems. its about a year old soon it may be time to swap out the oil. my friend seems to have problems with leaky fox forks.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I think you're referring to my post.
    No, not to use motor oil in the FIT cartridge, but as lube oil.
    That works fine, just make sure there are no additives that corrode the seals. I think I used the oil for my VW last time.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead451 View Post
    I went from a Lyrik to RC2. I feel the RC2 blows the Lyrik away in consistent non-stiction travel.
    Still when I talk to suspension experts (ones servicing and selling both RS and Fox) they will generally say the FIT cartridge adds stiction you can't get rid of, and say you will have a really hard time getting one to feel as good as either something with the basic R cartridge or a Lyrik.

I've been tempted to get one of the 180mm foxes, I would probably just get the R model and have my suspension tuner shim it to work fine for me, I don't really end up changing the compression settings after getting them right, and from what I've understood you can tune the basic open bath model internally to work just as well (but without the stiction).