Blue Pig
    Sigh, was hoping for a lesson on baking a cake for a GF. Damn you, Gary Fisher, damn you...
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I want to build up my GF Cake II, is it worth it and recommendations.

EDIT Oops, don't see where I can edit the title, it's a Cake III Deluxe

So, I've had a lot of problems with stock drive train on this bike. I didn't get any feedback from the mtbr forum post, but after reading the mtbr reviews and consulting with a few folks, I'm dead certain the bike needs an overhaul to get rid of the problems.

I'd appreciate some feedback on components that should be upgraded and/or if it's worth upgrading the bike…seems most view the the core of the bike as solid enough. So a drive train upgrade would be the most economical for a weekend warrior.

Current:
    • RD: Shimano Deore LX
    • Cassette: SRAM PG-850
    • FD: Shimano Deore LX
    • Crankset: Bontrager 7050

I figure the crank set has got to go. The cassette is so dirt cheap (~20 bucks), I figure why not upgrade that while I'm at it. The FD and RD seem decent enough, but I'm open to suggestions.

For the cassette + crank, I'm looking at the Shimano XT or SLX with bash guard lines. But again, open to suggestions.

Course, when I start looking at these I see reviews like this:

This frame sucks chain bad enough that I almost got Fisher to warranty it. The LBS tried upgrading my crank to an XT to stiffen the chainrings, to no avail. Seriously this bike got chainsuck the first time I rode it and the last time I rode it and every time in between. I have ruined 2 chains this way (they get twisted if they get pulled in or out crooked. It is seriously frustrating.
    Which is pretty much my experience shy of upgrading…which I'm getting ready to do. Makes me hesitant.
    Gary Fisher Cake 3 DLX 2003

Blue Pig
    Never got a post in before the OP before.

What is your budget for your current fix?

Btw, do not completely believe half of the reviews online. A lot of people exaggerate or cause the problem and blame it on something so stupid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Never got a post in before the OP before.

Btw, do not completely believe half of the reviews online. A lot of people exaggerate or cause the problem and blame it on something so stupid.
    That's what I'm hoping. Before I bought the bike I was a newb, but I did do some research and at the time most of the reviews were positive with minor critiques and the price (for 2006) was right.

What is your budget for your current fix?
    I'm also in the process of converting my my roadie to a Ultegra compact double, so it's an expensive month for bikes already.

I'm willing to pay what it costs to meet that sweet spot for quality and durability without crossing over into paying an arm and a leg for the latest and greatest or shaving a few grams here and there. From what I see, that'd be about 300'sh.

For example, performancebike.com has the XT M770's for 229 right now and the SLX M660's for 190. With the cassettes' in the 50-80'sh range.

I can hit those price points, but I'm not opposed to saving a dime here or there if equivalent functionality can be had for less (say with a last years model or something).

Blue Pig
    10 speed a must have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm a former cake dlx owner and to be honest I am very happy I no longer have it. However, not because of the chain suck. This can be fixed with a couple of strong zip ties
    from the Gary Fisher website
    Inadvertent chain slap; this is where the lower horizontal section of chain will bounce up and down hitting the chain stay. If the chain slides off the chain stay to the outside it can be caught up by the chain rings and get sucked up between the chain stay and the chain rings. The best solution I've found for this type of chain suck is a simple zip tie. Place the zip tie on the chain stay just behind the middle and large chain rings. The zip tie knuckle should be positioned under and to the out side of the chain stay. The zip tie acts as an anti-chain suck device keeping the chain out of the space between the chain rings and chain stay.

My issue with the bike was the terrible handling. The bottom bracket is sooo high and no matter what I did I could not get good traction from the front wheel - it just constantly wanted to understeer. I was very glad to see the end of it!

Blue Pig
    Krunk is just going to have to build it up and ride it. If he likes it, he keeps it. If he dislike it, sell it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not necessarily, the PG-850 is a 9 speed and I don't feel like I'm lacking in gear ratios. The granny gear is more than sufficient for any grade I've encountered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sigh, was hoping for a lesson on baking a cake for a GF. Damn you, Gary Fisher, damn you...
    Actually, I bake too. But mostly cookies and pies. Been wanting to learn a few tart recipes…and any red blooded women loves a man that bakes.

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by krunk7
    Actually, I bake too. But mostly cookies and pies. Been wanting to learn a few tart recipes…and any red blooded women loves a man that bakes.
    Hahaha,

I would get the slx cranks at permbikes, $180, not so expensive and not cheap but gets the job done.

T.W.O
    Yeah I'd recommend getting SLX, it's like deore used to be, great quality, durable and fairly inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hahaha,

I would get the slx cranks at permbikes, $180, not so expensive and not cheap but gets the job done.
    So this guy right here? Foregoing the bash guard. The bash guard can be had over at pricepoint for about 10 bucks more. I don't want to get it just to get it, but read somewhere it can help with rigidity and thus with chain suck.

Finally, how bout that back cassette? It's 45 bucks after the 10% discount performance has going on.

Blue Pig
    I would get the 3 ring from permbike and a BBG (104 bcd) light, strong, looks good, and not so expensive. That cassette will work, yes.

The reason why it's best to get the 3 ring crankset is because you might not know if you want to use the two rings in the future.

Errrr, you have front derailleur listed in your first post. Are you thinking of a 3x9? 2x9? or 1x9 set up?

Blue Pig
    Make sure you have a working chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would get the 3 ring from permbike and a BBG (104 bcd) light, strong, looks good, and not so expensive. That cassette will work, yes.

The reason why it's best to get the 3 ring crankset is because you might not know if you want to use the two rings in the future.

Errrr, you have front derailleur listed in your first post. Are you thinking of a 3x9? 2x9? or 1x9 set up?
    Currently running a 3x9 and I actually use all 3 rings. So, 3x9 is solid by me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Make sure you have a working chain.
    Chain is practically brand new, might not need to switch it out since the ring sizes are the same. But I know how to tune a shifters/derailleurs so I'll know if I need to pick another up.

Blue Pig
    Just don't forget to get a front derailleur if you don't want to use the one you currently have.

Then you're set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just don't forget to get a front derailleur if you don't want to use the one you currently have.

Then you're set.
    Excellent, I think the Deore LX FD ought to be alright.

Thanks for all the tips and feedback!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, thanks everyone for the feedback. I did have to get a new SLX front derailleur. In addition I upgraded to an SLX crankset and an SLX cassette.

Basically all new drivetrain sans the RD.

It's like having a new bike! I'm serious. Took her out for a 3 hour ride in Malibu this morning. Lots of hills, climbing, some sweet single tracks. So a really good run, lots of torque.

Not a single chain suck, not one single time did the chain slip. Gears clicked into place with ease and never missed.

I figured there'd be an improvement, but this nothing this significant. . . now to upgrade those bontrager seat and handlebars.

Maybe when my wallet thickens back up a bit.