mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I want a bigger bike - 150/160mm

Perhaps you folks could help me narrow down my choices for a bike with a bit more suspension. I'm currently on an '09 Motolite, which is an awesome bike, but starting to show its miles. I'm almost at the point where I need to start replacing lots of parts, or move on to a new bike.
    I am interested in a 150 or 160mm bike that doesn't suck to ride uphill too much. Every season I'm getting further and further from my XC beginnings, but still don't want anything in the 35 lb. range. I know that weight isn't everything, but...
    As a shop employee, I can get pretty good deals from Marin, Cannondale, GT, Ellsworth, and Scott. Which leaves me looking at:
    Marin Attack Trail 6.9
    Cannondale Jekyll or Claymore
    GT Force or Sanction
    Ellsworth Moment
    Scott Genius

Thanks for the feedback

T.W.O.
    I'd go with Jekyll, but if you want to skip buying for a season then Claymore is tempting

Ramp Local
    It doesn't look like a brand your shop carries, but I'd take a serious look at the 2012 Trek Remedy or Trek Slash. As I've said a few times on this forum, I'm saving for a Slash. Both those models look sick for 2012. But out of those options I'd agree on the Jekyll, but the Ellsworth also looks pretty sick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I say give the Marin a shot. I hear good things about them. If I didn't get such a good deal on my Enduro I probably would be on a Marin.
    People make me mad...

Swedetarded
    If you can get a deal on an Ellsworth...........

T.W.O.
    You work at the shop, which one fit you best? I have a Moment I can tell you that out of your line up Ells would be the heaviest frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    nsmb.com currently has a good review of the Marin. I have been running one for a year. Definitely a good choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for all the good input. The shop I work at is a dealer for the brands, but we don't have ANY of the models I listed in stock. So, even though I can get a deal, I don't have an opportunity to check them out. That being said, there is a shop about 25 miles from here that has an Attack Trail demo that I may take out this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Find a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 26'er not 29'er, it will have 6 inches of travel in the front and weigh around 27lbs. I have one and it tears up trails, easy to pedal up and easy to bomb down.

usually cranky
    i demoed a gt force, awesome bike, i drive is very good.

Undercaffienated
    Another vote for Marin. I am on an 09 Mount Vision now and my next bike will be a Quad (Attack?) Trail. Very versatile bikes.

I love the looks of the Jekyll but not a fan of the proprietary shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's hard to go wrong with any of those bikes. I'd lean toward the Jekyll or Moment, especially if you get either one at a good discount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Spent some time reading about the Jekyll this evening, and it's sounding very temping. The Jekyll 2 Carbon is a smidge over 27 lbs (according to Bike Radar) and can double as a good climber, with it's "elevate" and "flow" modes. Since this bike would basically be my go-to ride, the light weight and climbing ability is something to consider.
    I think the Marin looks like a great bike, but when I consider pedaling an over-30 lb bike uphill with a 66 degree head angle and a non-adjustable 160mm fork... well, it makes the Jekyll look like more fun.
    The Moment is tempting because it's just gorgeous. It would be the most expensive, and the frame with shock is around 8 lbs. Kinda heavy. But beautiful.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Throw might 2 cents in, moved from a Canny Rush which I rode till it's wheels fell off. Recently picked up and Rocky Mountain Slayer 30. Whips up the hills very fast and is a blast downhill. Pick a few bikes and test, I wanted a Trek Ex8 or a Yeti 575 till I rode the Slayer.

Go with what works best for you, the smooth link and straight up geometry works wonders with the slayer

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Jekyll and Claymore is nice, depending on how you live with bike parts (experimenting, upgrading, abusing) I would avoid propietary component. Like Scott Genius, pull shock is not my appetite.
    Marin with virtual pivot type suspension is good for climbing (I thought it's quite heavy), Ells Moment is great performer on descending -but as everyone say it's heavy going up, and I am not a fan of Tony Ellsworth.

Outside your list -if your shop can have an access as well- there are lot of nice rigs with great overall trail competency with tweaked suspension response.
    But damn, they are so pricey today with current economy.
    Last edited by softailteamrider; 08-18-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

Huckin' trails
    The 2012 GT Force and Sensor should be seriously consider here... And the i-Drive is amazing.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jekyll - best bike ever!

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fureak View Post
    Find a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 26'er not 29'er, it will have 6 inches of travel in the front and weigh around 27lbs. I have one and it tears up trails, easy to pedal up and easy to bomb down.
    Same boat as this guy! Except I have a 2010 Stumpy Pro(essentially same bike) 140mm F/R travel. It pedals with the best of the XC bikes but leaves them in the dust on the DH!

mtbr member
    As an employee of a shop who'd have access to these bikes, you asking about them on here would scare me a bit if I was to buy a bike from you!
    Can't you just pull one off the floor and ride it around and see about fit and function?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    As an employee of a shop who'd have access to these bikes, you asking about them on here would scare me a bit if I was to buy a bike from you!
    Can't you just pull one off the floor and ride it around and see about fit and function?
    He already stated this above.
    "Thanks for all the good input. The shop I work at is a dealer for the brands, but we don't have ANY of the models I listed in stock. So, even though I can get a deal, I don't have an opportunity to check them out. That being said, there is a shop about 25 miles from here that has an Attack Trail demo that I may take out this weekend. "

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I got what you need. 2010 transition covert .

mtbr member
    Jekyll seems like a good choice and a good parts spec depending on which one you get. Even though its not on your list, check out the Mk II Nomads. Ive been on mine for a little over a year now and it is hands down the fastest AM bike I've been on. Have it set up with an RP23 out back and a '11 36 up front. 1x9 etc.. and it comes in at just 30lbs with 2.5 tires and heavy tubes. Considering how much fun it is going down, it pedals great all around and ascends like a champ too. Definitely worth a look, maybe a used one? Definitely worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hello again,
    I appreciate all the great information and suggestions. I am pretty settled on the Jekyll after doing some more research based on your advice. I hadn't even really considered Cannondale (not such a big fan of proprietary engineering) but I think I can live with a funky shock, given the bike's capabilities. The Attack Trail was really tempting, but it would clearly not climb like the Jekyll in "elevate" mode. And the reality is that as much as I like shuttle runs and lift service, I'm going to be earning my descents the old-fashioned way probably 95% of the time.
    When I first posted, I was all excited to sell off my Motolite and get something fresh, but now I'm reconciled to wait until spring. By then, I may be able to get a close-out deal on an '11 model and I can sell my Moto at the beginning of next season, presumably when more folks are looking for a good used bike.
    Thanks again!