mtbr member

I think I found my bike

Thanks to everyone who helped out in this thread: Good all-mountain bike for beginner?

Found an absolute STEAL of a bike. I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Scott Nitrous line, but the Nitrous SL 11 was the top of the line last year. Originally retailed for $3927.00. So I found a brand new 2005 for $1500. I wasn't going to spend that much, but I figure I will save in the long run not having to constantly upgrade components. The '05 Giant Reign 3 is a great bike indeed, but would've been close to $1200 with tax and shipping, and that fork would have to go. That's $1500 right there.

The weight of the bike is close to 30 pounds (31.2, I believe), it's solid and has 6" of travel, climbs well, and has great components. So basically everything I was looking for in an all moutain rig. A bike that does everything. The last thing I wanted was a bike that I constantly was either reinforcing for the downhills or lightening for the uphills, it seems to be a perfect compromise.

These reviews sold me on it:
    http://www.scottusa.com/news/article.php?UID=139
    http://bicycling.com/article/0,6610,...93-1-P,00.html

I will post pics when it arrives.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Looks interesting... certainly a good deal, but I have reservations.

Single low pivot = suspension may not be very active when braking/pedaling. The longer travel of this bike might make this work out pretty good, though.

'05 Manitou Nixons have a horrible reputation. Sell the fork before you use the bike so you can sell it "as new". Check the reviews on this site...

You do get a good parts spec for the price, nice wheels, xt components, 1.5 headtube (so you can buy a 1.5 RS Totem or Domain to replace the Nixon...

I have not heard too much about Scott frames, but I had a set of their ski poles, they are indestructable. I'd bet the frame is top notch...

I'd rather have the Reign's rear suspension, but the Scott is overall a great deal, congrats on finding it

mtbr member
    Well, keep in mind it's the Nixon Super, which has a limited number of reviews on this site. It was an $800 fork, might as well get use of it. I doubt I could get much on eBay for it?

EDR
    congrats. I must say I never saw a Scott bike on the trail. Looks like you got a good deal at $1500. $3900??? that may be a huge stretch on value. Maybe not, I have no idea what that frame goes for.

anyhow the super nixon has a 'buy it now price' of $479 to $499 on ebay.

enjoy the unique ride

Motion activated
    Wow nice work on the price. I talked to a guy who was riding one down Porcupine in Moab. FWIW he said it pedaled pretty well for a single pivot.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    congrats. I must say I never saw a Scott bike on the trail. Looks like you got a good deal at $1500. $3900??? that may be a huge stretch on value. Maybe not, I have no idea what that frame goes for.

anyhow the super nixon has a 'buy it now price' of $479 to $499 on ebay.

enjoy the unique ride
    I couldn't find what the SL 11 frame went for, but the 10 frame (I believe the 10 retailed for $3118 vs the SL 11 at $3927) was $1,574.99. I believe it's the exact same frame, except the SL 11 has a better air shock vs. the coil in the 10.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think, REI used to sell them (or still does) in that price range; 1500-1600. A friend of mine bought one for, I think $1300 (floor model) with an AM3 fork on it. The frame looks pretty burly in person, optically it's not really my cup o' tea.
    I'd prefer the Reign to that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteblues
    I think, REI used to sell them (or still does) in that price range; 1500-1600. A friend of mine bought one for, I think $1300 (floor model) with an AM3 fork on it. The frame looks pretty burly in person, optically it's not really my cup o' tea.
    I'd prefer the Reign to that bike.
    REI had the Nitrous SL 22 for around that price if that's what you're talking about? They have the AM3 fork stock. Quite a lot cheaper bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with their configurations. How is the SL22 different from the SL 11?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteblues
    I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with their configurations. How is the SL22 different from the SL 11?
    Just better components all around. The frame is identical, the rear shock on the 11 is a Swinger Air SPV 4-way vs. 3-way. Retail on the 22 was $2700, so your friend still got a good deal.