mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I need help- Nomad vs Preston FR

I went to the local shop today thinking that I was going to get a Nomad after long consideration. When I got there the owner showed me a Transition Preston FR that he had. I took it for a spin and liked it, although not as much as the Nomad. The problem is the Preston is about $1000 less. Anyone have any input on the Transition? I am not too familiar with the bikes. I have read some good reviews on this site. I like saving money but I don't want to regret not getting the right bike and in a way wasting $2600 when I could have spent the extra money and be happier.

PS I am a New England trail rider. I would not out ride either one on the downhills or on stunts. I guess I am more concerned with having an all around good for just about everything bike.

Thanks,
    Chuck

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Nomad is more geared toward all mountain or lite freeride whereas the preston is a little burlier/heavier, def. more of a freeride bike. Both are good choices, just depends on your preference, riding style.

Infidel
    Does the shop have a Transition Covert for you to check out? I took one for a parking lot spin recently and was very impressed. It seems to be a bike very suited for the type of riding you've described. However, I own a 2009 Nomad and absolutely love it. I was looking for a bike that would inspire me to go bigger and it does exactly that. If you plan on keeping both wheels on the ground check out the Covert or perhaps the Blur LT. I don't think you would have any regrets with any of these bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I second that, the Covert is a super sweet ride. And the newer model is spec'd with a hammerschmidt crank setup which is just awesome. Only reason I didn't recommend it in the first place wasn't sure of the price range you were lookin for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    They did not have a Covert. I did see that on the Transition site when I was looking for more info on the Preston. They can get the Covert but it would be around the same price as the Nomad at which Point I would get the SC. It is on sale for $3699 and it is a $4300 build. I think I will probably go with the Nomad, I hope it will do the same and inspire me to go a little bigger

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    as long as you like the granny gear pedaling of the nomad get that, preston is fine, but not as nice. I just got a new covert and it is nice too.

mtbr member
    yes, don't ever get something you don't really want just to save a buck. Always get the bike that makes you happy. Even if you have to save a little more. I think you're making the right choice. Best o luck and post up that nomad when you get 'er.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks to everyone for all the input. Waiting for my next day off to put a deposit on the Nomad. I am going to be taking overtime for a month straight to get it but I think it will be worth it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I know nothing at all about the Preston, but I bought an 09 Nomad 2 months ago, and the bike is amazing. It pedals very well, it climbs remarkably well for it's size/travel, and I've taken it on full on downhill runs.

mtbr member
    Get the Nomad. A Preston is a good bike but in the end it's still a single pivot design. OK but it's not gonna be as good as VPP2 for all 'round riding.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks again for all the help. Here is the new ride! Sadly it is still is the shop but it has my name on it. Hoping to get it before heading to Highland Bike Park in New Hampshire.

think
    Jul 2008
    Who had a Preston on the shelf? There's only a few dealers in the north east.

Do the Nomads get all creaky like the Blurs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Congrats on the Nomad!
    I have an 06 model and still love it. The only time I had issues with the bearings were after two and a half years of riding. Mine has held up well. It really can handle alot. I like your color to. Where do you like to ride?
    Take care,
    Mctigre

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I woulda taken the brand new Covert w/ Hammerschmidt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Not sure about the creaks on the new frames with the grease ports. I have read a couple posts that have remedies for the creaks either way.

I got the bike at The Cutting Edge in Berlin, CT. They had a few Transitions there. They did not have a Covert, however. I didn't want to order one without riding it. It does look like a great bike though.

MCtigre, I live near Hurd Park in E. Hampton, so I do a lot of short solo rides there. My friends and I try to get up to Nepaug in Canton every Sat. or so. I used to ride Millers Pond in Durham a lot. I have heard they have done a lot of trail building there but I have not been there in a while.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2
    Not sure about the creaks on the new frames with the grease ports. I have read a couple posts that have remedies for the creaks either way.

I got the bike at The Cutting Edge in Berlin, CT. They had a few Transitions there. They did not have a Covert, however. I didn't want to order one without riding it. It does look like a great bike though.

MCtigre, I live near Hurd Park in E. Hampton, so I do a lot of short solo rides there. My friends and I try to get up to Nepaug in Canton every Sat. or so. I used to ride Millers Pond in Durham a lot. I have heard they have done a lot of trail building there but I have not been there in a while.

Yes. Go.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I will go for sure. The sad thing is I grew up right down the road from Millers and my parents are still there. That is where I fell in love with mountain biking to begin with, way before anyone touched the trails there (I am getting old). I will have to go have my kids visit the grandparents while I sneak out for a ride in the old stomping grounds.

g3h6o3
    Well I guess I'm too late to chime in but I'm just offering another perspective. With the 100$ that the Preston saved you, you could have swapped some parts to make it more AM friendly and possibly a better bike.

And yet, maybe not! Cool Nomad BTW
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You are right about the savings. I thought about that a lot. Not to mention that money could have paid for more than a couple trips to the lift accessed playgrounds. In the long run I think that the Nomad will be better for my style of riding. I read more than a few reports of frames failing on the Transitions. I understand that they were on the older frames and they have since changed things (shock mounts) but it still places a seed of doubt in my mind. Plus, I had already decided on the Nomad before I got to the shop. I am stubborn, I will admit it, itís tough to change my mind. Plus, if I made a mistake, I get to buy a new bike sooner than later. It is always fun buying new bikes, it just means I have to work a few more OT shifts and road jobs.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice. You got the bike you wanted. I'm sure the Preston would have been a great bike, but every time you'd see a Nomad you'd always think "what if...".

I dunno. I think that as long as you can afford it go for what you really want. You'll probably end up with it down the road anyways.... might as well do it now instead of spending extra money later.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

Its got what plants crave
    I think you mad the correct decision. I have seen Nomads take some pretty big hits. You can kit them out with a 180mm front fork and a coilover rear shock and slay some fairly big stuff without issues. Plus it's got the VPP *and* should have the greasable pivots which IMO is awesome from a maintenance and longevity standpoint. Mind if I ask what you paid?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It does have the grease ports, which is great. I paid $3655 for it, the sticker was $4300 and they were having a 20% off, "cash for clunkers" type sale. They are taking any old working bike for the most part and donating them to a local youth home. Pretty cool.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Looks like a fun bike! I'd be willing to wager thats a Transition build kit on there and it looks heavy (but durable). At $3600 it's an semi-square deal, but there is no way that bike would have sold for $4300. Maybe the bike shop could at least route the front brake hose correctly for you....

Don't want to rain on your parade though, enjoy your bike!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    I saw your Nomad at TCE last Saturday - nice choice! Craig (owner) is a great guy. They'll treat you right after the sale too. Well done and enjoy your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Don't worry, no rain. Good observation, it is a Transition build kit. I am happy with it though, it is primarily X9, similar to the $4300 package from SC plus it has the Fox 36 up front which I like more than the Rock Shox that would normaly be on it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have paid the full price for it the way it is. I was going to take care of the brake line myself, but maybe I'll ask them to do it.

Thanks