Thread: i need a fork

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

i need a fork

hi
    I have a '00 Cannondale M500. it is a ridged frame and very light, but i think i need front suspension.
    http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/00/ce/model-0MR5.html

i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what fork to buy. What should i consider when buying a fork and what measurement are involved.

thanks

Is dang happy!
    Try a bigger soft tire first, then if that is not enough come back with a budget as new forks go from $100 on up depending on what you need.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by SenoirClown
    hi
    I have a '00 Cannondale M500. it is a rigid frame and very light, but i think i need front suspension.
    http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/00/ce/model-0MR5.html

i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what fork to buy. What should i consider when buying a fork and what measurement are involved.

thanks
    Measurements involved:

According to the specs in the link you posted, you'll need a fork with a 1-1/8" steerer tube. That's good, since it's the most common size.

Find the axle-crown height of your current fork. That will tell you whether your frame geometry is suspension-corrected and give you a good idea what travel range you should be looking for so that you don't alter the handling too much. You'll most likely be looking at 80mm travel, possibly 100mm.

If you buy a used fork, you'll need to make sure the steerer tube is long enough to fit your bike. You need to take into consideration the headtube length and the stack height of your headset, stem, and any spacers you intend to use.

If you haven't already, maybe check out the Cannondale forum and see if anyone has suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    im cheap so maybe as low as i can go for prices