mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I need advice!!!!

I have $1500 to spend on a new bike.

I could piece one together, which is more than I would like to deal with at present or I can get a complete bike! That's where I need advice!

What complete bike would you buy for $1500 if you could buy one today?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

ride hard take risks
    I'll 2nd the Ibex Sweet single pivot 5in travel that can rip. Have been riding the Atlas for four months on a varity of trails from XC-DH & it is amazing. My other bike is a Versus Blitz II that is like sitting on the couch when riding so the Atlas has it's work cut out to try & compair. So far the Ibex Atlas will do anything the Versus Blitz II can do just not as smooth or fast. The Atlas is a great fun bike that accells in any condition, i love playing on this bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by jukedaddy
    I have $1500 to spend on a new bike.

I could piece one together, which is more than I would like to deal with at present or I can get a complete bike! That's where I need advice!

What complete bike would you buy for $1500 if you could buy one today?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
    Depends on your age:

Up to 65.
    65 or older.

s62
    mtbr member
    I've been repeating this lately, just b/c I did it and am really happy with my purchase:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Bike+05.aspx

Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0, 2005 closeout... You won't find a bike this good for this price anywhere else. Jamis makes awesome bikes, just ask in your local shop or on the net, and this thing is decked out to ride AM. 5" of Manitou travel, juicy 7's, xt components, etc. It's a 2300$ bike, but you're getting it for 1486$. Just in your price range, but you're getting a bike several tiers up. As me for pics if you like. I just got mine a week ago.

Last edited by s62; 07-15-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    I've been repeating this lately, just b/c I did it and am really happy with my purchase:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Bike+05.aspx

Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0, 2005 closeout... You won't find a bike this good for this price anywhere else. Jamis makes awesome bikes, just ask in your local shop or on the net, and this thing is decked out to ride AM. 5" of Manitou travel, juicy 7's, xt components, etc. It's a 2300$ bike, but you're getting it for 1486$. Just in your price range, but you're getting a bike several tiers up. As me for pics if you like. I just got mine a week ago.

XD
    http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-EXP-Details.html

El Pollo Diablo
    if you aren't totally stuck on buying something new, you can make your money go a lot further by buying used....
    CL, online classifieds on sites like this one, ebay even, lots of places, and you can save a grip o' cash if you shop smart.

s62
    mtbr member
    just be careful with used. If you can't see it first hand, and maybe take it to a shop to get checked out, you can't really gauge the wear on the components, and worse, the frame.
    w/ E150 and Command Post

s62
    mtbr member
    That's pretty comparable, component wise, although I prefer the Dakar suspension, pedals, etc. However, I'm not convinced the frames are comparable. The Dakar is triple-butted, Kinesium and 7000-series aluminum, and gussets like you wouldn't believe. The Atlas is still a good bike, no argument, but the Jamis wins out, imo.
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Jamis, Ibex, Motobecane, or even a clearance Giant or Iron Horse.
    Last edited by Student Driver; 07-15-2007 at 07:18 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    Jamis, Ibex, Motobecane, or even a clearance Giant of Iron Horse.
    ARRGGGGGG to many choices
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmm, '06 Giant Trance/Reign or Iron Horse Mkiii on clearance
    Very good suspension, and they have pretty nice component spec.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Kona Dawg

www.KONAWORLD.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Right now I am looking at the same two bikes, the Dakar XLT 2.o and the Atlas. Both bikes have great specs and are probably much more bike than I need. My primary concearn is climbing. Which bike would be the better climber? My gut says the Atlas becuase of the single pivot suspension.

It is going to be a very tough choice

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr

Dogonfr

I just read through those threads, thanks for the links! SWEET bike.

I thought my mind was all made up to get that Dakar XLT 2.0, but then I keep going back to look at that IBEX Atlas and I am having a really hard time making my mind up.

To be perfectly honest the dakar XLT 2.0 is way more bike than I need for my style of riding at this point and time. The only reason I was going to get it was the super deal my LBS was offering (2005 model for $1500 marked down from $2300). But now I am really looking at the Atlas sport & the expert.

The Sport is probably perfect for me, and at $1000 you cant beat the price. But on the other hand I was going to spend $1500 on the Jamis, so why not spend the same and get the Expert. It is a very tough call for me. I am perfectly content with the components package that comes with the sport compared to the expert. But the expert has a better suspension and might be worth the extra money.

By the way, what size frame is your bike and how big are you?

fuggansonofahowa
    The Atlas is an awesome climber. My ride time is 80% climbing, 15% downhill, 5% puking in the bushes. The Jamis is also an excellent deal and a nice bike....I'm just a single-pivot man with a single-pivot brain. The "dig-in" feel of single-pivots when climbing is tough to beat. Of course, you sacrifice a little extra bob action when mashing...but wtf, I'm AM, not XC racer. I've continually beat the snot outta my Atlas Spert and it still ticks like a clock.....my dropout has been taking a beating, but that's why I bought 2 extra (strongly suggested to all AM'ers - much cheaper than an AM floor pump or AM shoe laces ).

I have to do something about those clean spots....

I need to get some action shots....but I'm worried that I'll smash my camera when I barrel-roll over it.

ride hard take risks
    I'm 5'7" & like a 17" or Med size frame so i went with the 16.5 Atlas. As you could see the guys in the DH/FR section liked the setup of a fun bike. When your hucking around a 40 pound couch all the time looking for something that wont let you down as a play bike that can do all, the Atlas is a blast to ride.
    Formotion Products

Flying Goat
    The Atlas was way fun... borrowed dogonfr's bike for a while when my bike was out of commision. Did a some fast steep slippery DH and gnarly rocky loose sh1t DH with it. You can definitely see the difference coming from a 40lbs bike but this bike was just nimble. I wrote a review on it somewhere too about riding my usual DH stuff. As expected, it's easier to get knocked off course due to less travel and weight but you can easily save any mistakes you make as well... Insanely fun bike... It can also easily be set to ride pump tracks... pic of me on July 4th in dogonfr's pumptrack... XD

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for all of the replies! It is very helpful to get input from others about where to spend my money

The IBEX bikes look very interesting. My biggest problem is not being able to test ride one.

I have been on a number of bikes that were referred to me as good buys and when I got on one and rode them I was not impressed when the bike was perfect for them.

I think that if I was buying a 2nd bike I would get an IBEX. I am going to test ride Jamis Dakar XLT, Kona Dawg and Kikapu Deluxe and if I come across others I will test them as well

J

ride hard take risks
    Take a drive up to Marin & you can test ride the Atlas at Dominican, sweet place that has a mix of everything in 1 ride.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Really! I may have to do that!!!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by jukedaddy
    Really! I may have to do that!!!
    Let me know when you want too. In 2 weeks might be going to Napa to ride the Oat Hill which is like a baby Downieville when decending but you have to climb up first. This Sun i will be hitting Dominican.

If you dont know Oat Hill this is a good link.

http://ogrehut.com/trails.php/Bay-North/OatHill
    Formotion Products