mtbr member

i have 1400 to 1800 dollars to spend...

ok so my friend wants to get into mountian biking and he wants a do every thing bike, but mostly for aggresive trail riding. he wants a 30ish lb bike with 5 or 6 inches full travel and he said he is willing to spend 1400 to 1800$. he was looking at a gt force 3.0, and a couple iron horses, mklll and 6 point. and my dad just got a nice used diamond back mission 2 for 1300 so if we find a good deal a used bike might work too. a custom build might work also. its the end of the year so i know all 08's are on sale so let me know of some other bikes that might be in his range. gimmi some idea's guys!!!

mtbr member
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_dsIX.htm

If you can wrench a bit, this value is very hard to beat. More of a trail bike.

Or you can build up Sette AM frame from pricepoint -
    ~$400
    Rock shox Pike on Ebay - ~$500
    And some some smart shopping will get you a burly trail bike. Above 30lb.
    Parts on Ebay are hard to beat...

Though when just getting into biking, ultimate value is not the most important consideration. XTR bits are not critical.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I'd look for a complete used bike for that price, or custom parts on ebay could get you there too, look for mostly new bike take offs and lightly used bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    1800 might get you a new reign.. lbs's might be more willing to deal now that its getting cold and nasty.

1400-1800 is a good chunk of money. go for the good brands with good suspension systems.. like a dw link bike, or maestro, or vpp, even gt's i-drive kicks a lot of ass. might have to get last years bike, or a close out or something, but theres deals to be had on the good stuff. the frame, fork and suspension is what counts!

REALLY?
    ebay is your friend...i see unreal bikes in the 1800 range i would kill your mother to own.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sikkfreerider
    ok so my friend wants to get into mountian biking and he wants a do every thing bike, but mostly for aggresive trail riding. he wants a 30ish lb bike with 5 or 6 inches full travel and he said he is willing to spend 1400 to 1800$. he was looking at a gt force 3.0, and a couple iron horses, mklll and 6 point. and my dad just got a nice used diamond back mission 2 for 1300 so if we find a good deal a used bike might work too. a custom build might work also. its the end of the year so i know all 08's are on sale so let me know of some other bikes that might be in his range. gimmi some idea's guys!!!
    I think some of the IH MKIII deals are pretty good in that price range.

Capricious youth...
    I'd go for a 6point if you can swing it.

Otherwise, opt for the MkIII. I did a 10' gap with a 3' tall launch yesterday on my MkIII with the stock Radium shock and a Pike 454 Air U-turn. That bike just eats it all up.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go to RScycle and get a 6 point. That bike climbs and pedels great. I think you can get a new 6.4 for $1699.99 plus 10% off? I went with the 6.6 and love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    2008 Trance X2 found in LBS for $1500.

T

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    mkIII would be an awesome choice, if it doesn't work out I'd make the rounds at your local lbs's and see what's clearanced. There are a ton of great bikes out there now, I think it would be best if your friend can try them out and see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Meanwhile, this is the kind of thing you'll find on ebay:

clicky

clicky

clicky

*Contents Under Pressure
    wow for 1400 the parts alone would be hard to find.. xtr and a reba.
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sounds like an '08 (or newer) reign would fit what you are looking for. I got my Reign 2 near the beginning of the summer (before the '09's came out) for $1550 (a real steal at the time). If a Reign 1 is within your price range, that would be even better. Mine weighs 31.5 lb. (medium size, only slightly modified). It has 6 inches of travel, maestro suspension, and is definately good for agressive trail riding.

It's not the only option, just suggesting it because I love my Reign.

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by V2PRODUCTS
    Go to RScycle and get a 6 point. That bike climbs and pedels great. I think you can get a new 6.4 for $1699.99 plus 10% off? I went with the 6.6 and love it.
    They certainly are good value, but a 6point4 weighs in at about 37 lbs so it's a bit of a pig for aggressive trail riding no matter how good it climbs.
    I also think it's a good idea to search for stuff on eBay.Unless he finds a killer deal for a new one.Warranty is a good thing to have even if you pay a couple hundred $ more to get it.
    Btw, Kona Dawg is a really capable & tough good value bike, even tough it doesn't come with a fancy suspension system.

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography