In exile

I guess my Reign is technically an AM bike???

All of this stupid arguing about what AM is made me realize that what I called a trail bike could be an AM bike. Any way - do people ride big wheels to go with their big forks and 6" frames?

I am asking that since part of what got me to get a bigger bike was wheel flex on the XC bike. The Reign with a Z1 Light and Performance Loco wheels had allowed a great deal more confidence in really rocky stuff.

What aspect of the mid travel trail bikes was most enticing?

I can't decide if it's the wheels or the fork. I really dig the 20mm axle, but I also think the Alex Supra D rims help a ton too.

conjoinicorned
    i think the problem with this forum is that AM is a style/headspace, not a type of bike.

it's the people who "feel" XC is too racy, and FR is too hardcore, but still like to rip it up. i like the AM category because it encompasses all the aspects of biking: whatever you might encounter on a trail both up and down. but there are plenty of XC, FR, DH, SS, 29'er guys who also ride all these things, and don't get hung up on how they do it.

any bike you want to be can be an AM bike. there are people here who ride 18 lb. HT, and people who ride 36 lb. bullits and both claim the AM title, fairly i might add.

btw the reign is a pretty sweet bike.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Any way - do people ride big wheels to go with their big forks and 6" frames?

I am asking that since part of what got me to get a bigger bike was wheel flex on the XC bike. The Reign with a Z1 Light and Performance Loco wheels had allowed a great deal more confidence in really rocky stuff.
    Good post! I think wide, strong and stiff wheels in combination with wide stiff sidewall tires (at low PSI) are a must for hard riding in rocky Colorado terrain. Weight be damned as long as the rolling resistance is good.

I'm currently running at Nokian Gazzalodi 2.6 DH tire in the front with an Atom Lab rim (700 grams). The rear is a DT swiss 5.1 with a Specialized Enduro 2bliss (UST) 2.4.

Very little flex and I can feel exactly what the tires are doing, so it is easy to coax them into a little drift. What could be more fun than going into a corner hot and letting the tires slide then hookup into the (natural) berm on your weekday afternoon XC ride?

[edit] BTW the Reign will fit the 2.6 Nokian in the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Loco, some of what you describe, especially about wheelsets, is sort of what this AM thing has revolved around. As ferday pointed out, though many people ride a wide variety of equipment, things "in the middle" have gotten better. You noticed flex with your lighter wheelset... and ultimately I think you could expect less durability...and the same could be said for some of the other components on our bikes. This "middle ground" of bikes, suspensions, and components, at least in my opinion and observation, has grown dramatically and given us some frames and travel at a weight we can enjoy and live with for riding anywhere. Yeah, we can ride any bike just about anywhere, but I'll bet you're enjoying your Reign in more challenging terrain than some other bikes you may have had. Like you've noticed, there are some really good wheelsets available now that don't weigh a ton but still give you strength and duability. The Z1 Light is a good fork. The idea of a hybrid coil/air is a great idea IMO. I converted a couple of '04 Z150SL models into something similar to what you have...except mine has no ETA...coil and air give you a ton of tuning flexibility.

In exile
    I don't think I got the light wheels, as mine weigh in around 2350 grams, but they are stiff. I do like the adjustability of the fork. I had planned to convert a Z150 SL from reading your posts, but the Z1 Light came up for $450 with just a few rides, so I opted for it. I am glad I did.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, Loco, you (and others here) are quite right...AM is realistically just good ol' fashioned mountain biking....nothing specialized like some of the XC ,DH and FR stuff has become, but a lot of their gear can be used for "AM" stuff.

Myself, I looked at the Reign (sweet ride, BTW), but wasn't prepared to drop the extra $700 CDN for the Reign 2 over my Cake 2DLX. Besides, for where I live, what I ride and the multi-tasking associated with a one bike stable, I thought the Cake was a better fit for me.

I too must agree that having the better components over my previous HT has been a benefit for my riding and confidence....things feel better in the dirt, so I ride more and more agressively. That's part of the fun and how we progress at things
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

silly person
    Dec 2005
    I'd say the Reign was the epitomy of an AM bike. It's too heavy for XC, but not built up enough for FR. In my opinion, AM and trail are pretty well the same thing and I agree with what those before me have said.

squish is good
    Hey steve, how do those fatty tires handle on the climbs? I've got Kenda Nevagal/Blue Groove 2.1's on my Reign and I've been debating on going to a 1.9 on the rear or completely new tires all-together to improve climbing performance. Maybe I'm just out of shape but I get my butt kicked on rolling resistance (no bobbing when in the saddle) on most of the climbs I do. Mostly gradual but fairly steep, 2000ft in 4 miles kind of stuff. Let me know, thanx.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Hey steve, how do those fatty tires handle on the climbs? I've got Kenda Nevagal/Blue Groove 2.1's on my Reign and I've been debating on going to a 1.9 on the rear or completely new tires all-together to improve climbing performance. Maybe I'm just out of shape but I get my butt kicked on rolling resistance (no bobbing when in the saddle) on most of the climbs I do. Mostly gradual but fairly steep, 2000ft in 4 miles kind of stuff. Let me know, thanx.
    These are pretty heavy tires at 1200g front and 1000 grams rear. They do roll well and offer excellent traction up and down, but unless you fell like you need the performance of such a large hunk of rubber, I'd look else where if you want to improve your climbing speed.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Wow...1200/1000. Yeah, I think I'd save those for lift and shuttle runs. They are meaty looking tires. I tried using a 2.8 Mich.DH32 on the front on my big hit trail bike. It weighed 1280g, and it was a painful experience unless the trail was running straight down.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Wow...1200/1000. Yeah, I think I'd save those for lift and shuttle runs. They are meaty looking tires. I tried using a 2.8 Mich.DH32 on the front on my big hit trail bike. It weighed 1280g, and it was a painful experience unless the trail was running straight down.
    I put that front tire/wheel on my bike because it was the only wheel I had with a 20mm hub. I expected it to be impractical for XC so I was just intending to use it as a stopgap while I built something else. At 6 and 150lb I'm not exactly Mr. Beef, but surprisingly it's just not that big of a deal to pedal up 2000ft. I just built up a DT 5.1 rim with the Enduro 2bliss tire (for my wife’s bike), so I might slap that on there and see how she goes.
    Last edited by Steve71; 07-05-2006 at 07:58 AM.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I tried 2.35 BG/Nev stick-e... rolling resistance was horrible. It felt like the bike was rolling thru mud. They do have good traction, but I switched to Mutano 2.4s, and they are a much better trail tire. The difference in energy required to peddle is huge.

After the Nev started loosing its side lugs, I bought a 2.35 Minion dhr w/60a rubber, and it rolls a lot better, not as god as the Mutanos, but I like the Minion/BG combo a lot better than the Nev/BG combo... the Nev dtc might be ok though, but I'm done with those tires.

I'd bet the 2.4 Mutanos will roll better than the 2.1 Kendas... and give you a higher volume tire.

squish is good
    well, for $25 a piece I'm gonna give the Mutano's a shot. Did you run Mutano's front and rear or only with the BG on the front?

Oh, So Interesting!
    well, for $25 a piece I'm gonna give the Mutano's a shot. Did you run Mutano's front and rear or only with the BG on the front?
    I'm using them f and r, if you read the reviews, everyone has a different opinion on that. Tire pressure is a big deal on Mutanos, too hard and they bounce off stuff, too soft and you can pinch flat, but there is a happy medium where you get good grip, no flats, and good rolling resistance. I would flat them every once in a while with lightweight tubes, but with Kenda 1.2mm 2.35-2.7 hd tubes, never an issue. Theyre 350g or so, 2x the weight of a couple different light tubes I had sitting around. It makes for a 900g tire/tube combo.