Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am On-TWO now

mtbr member

I am On-TWO now

I bought the blue 456 a year and half ago. It was built with most of the parts that are on the yellow bike now. Loved the bike, but, at times, I wished I had a dual ring on it. Recently I had an itching to try a summer season, and go down one size. I made the decision to buy a 16" SS lemon meringue, and say bye-bye to my dual suspension frame. I stripped my 6x6 bike down, moved those parts onto the blue 456, and then built the SS with the blue 456 original build.
    Hey, dual suspension is great, and has its advantages, but, I like hardtails.

16" On One 456 Summer Season Lemon Meringue
    Marzocchi AM1 SL 120-160mm 20mmTA
    Bontrager Rythem Comp Wheelset
    Hayes HFX9 brakes 8"F and 6"R
    XO rear der
    X7 Shifter
    Sunline V-One 29.5"
    Truvativ Husselfelt 40mm stem
    Chris King headset
    Sette seatpost
    Selle San Marco Ponza saddle
    Bontrager King Earl cranks with 170mm arms & 34t ring
    Twenty-6 Components pedals
    E13 LG-1plus
    12-36t cassette
    Maxxis ADvantage 2.4 folding with XC tube
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 2ply DH casing with middleweight tube

32pound 64degree HA

I did ride this up and down on its maiden voyage. Suprised me going uphill, better than I anticipated. I kept the 12-36t cassette for this reason. I cannot believe how much more comfortable this frame is at going DH compared to a standard 456. I was quite happy with the regular 456 too.

18" On One 456 Blue
    Manitou Nixon Super Platinum Air 145mm 20mmTA
    Easton Havoc Wheelset
    Avid Juicy 5 brakes 6" F & R
    X9 mid-cage rear der
    Shimano Deore front der
    X9 shifters
    Easton Havoc 28" bar
    Truvativ Husselfelt 60mm stem
    Crank Brothers Iodine headset
    Sette Seatpost
    Selle San Marco Ponza saddle
    Bontrager Race-lite carbon cranks 175mm arms with 36/24T
    Crank Brothers 50/50XX pedals
    11/34 Sram 980 cassette
    E13 DRS
    Kenda Blue Groove 2.35 in front with XC tube
    Kenda Excavator 2.35 in rear with XC tube

31 pounds and 67.5 degree HA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am On-TWO now-3.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-14.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-5.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-6.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-7.jpg  

mtbr member
    more pics

Now that the blue bike is built this way, it feels way stiffer, and I mean that in cornering, climbing kind of way, and overall, it just feels much more solid, than the dual suspension frame it replaced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am On-TWO now-8.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-9.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-10.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-11.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Loving the meringue 456 SS.

How much different is the ride comparing these two?

mtbr member
    Thanks, theyre a lot different, although similiar in lineage. The reg feels like a bulletproof trailbike that will take to any challege on the trail, whether it means climbing a technical climb to pushing it down the same technical climb. The SS with 160 on the front feels much more DH, with an ability to get up the same climbs but with more focus and body english used. When going DH, the slacker front end coupled with another 15mm of travel the bike begged for more leash, went through similiar lines taken by the blue 456 but with much more ease and less body english. From what I can feel so far, I am elated I have two. At this point, I could argue owning one or the other if owning only one was an issue.

You know what? This is the bike I raced in the Gravity East Finals and was off of the podium by less than 3 seconds in Cat 2 on. I was the ONLY guy on a hardtail too. And I can tell you, that the 456 SS will SMOKE this bike on the same trail! The 456 is 2.5 degrees slack, and has a 2 inch longer wheelbase. I measured it, because when I sat on the SS initially, I thought, wow, this thing is long! That aluminum bike has a 180mm fork on it too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am On-TWO now-dscn2649_1024x768.jpg  

Last edited by bunnyhopbikes; 12-18-2010 at 03:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice bikes! Get some short cage mechs though! I have one on my new hardtail and the crispness of the shifting is unreal.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Nice builds. Keep us updated on how they work for you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E
    Nice bikes! Get some short cage mechs though! I have one on my new hardtail and the crispness of the shifting is unreal.
    A short cage wont work with the spread on blue, thats why there is a mid. And the long cage on the SS has been with me for years, on many applications, although, initially it was on a triple, hence the long cage. It works great My first real upgrage though will be a fork to replace the Marzocchi, just not into it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Where do you find middle weight tubes? Or is that a normal tube & an XC tube is thinner?

Great bikes! I ride an Evil Sovereign with 140mm fork & I love it. Would like to check out a slacker hardtail one of these days.

mtbr member
    That's the nicest looking Summer Season I've seen ever.

That 456 ain't too shabby either!

Nice stable!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks
    Where do you find middle weight tubes? Or is that a normal tube & an XC tube is thinner?

Great bikes! I ride an Evil Sovereign with 140mm fork & I love it. Would like to check out a slacker hardtail one of these days.
    Here is a link to Maxxis offerings for an idea of tube options; http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Tubes.aspx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    That's the nicest looking Summer Season I've seen ever.

That 456 ain't too shabby either!

Nice stable!

WOW! Thanks MMcG

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The SS rocks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am On-TWO now-pc180004-large-.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-pc180003-large-.jpg  

I am On-TWO now-pc180005-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Props again on the lemon meringue! Very good looking bike!

I almost bought a blue 456, but waited till the new colors were in stock.

I know you built the two for different purposes, but I'm curious how you prefer to split your time between the two. Do you normally grab for the SS or the 456?

I have a brown 456, and pick it for it's versatility. I've been really happy with it so far, and feel like I will keep it for a long time. I run Fox Vanilla FIT 140rlc's, and set up 1x9 and find it great all-around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb2thebeat
    Props again on the lemon meringue! Very good looking bike!

I almost bought a blue 456, but waited till the new colors were in stock.

I know you built the two for different purposes, but I'm curious how you prefer to split your time between the two. Do you normally grab for the SS or the 456?

I have a brown 456, and pick it for it's versatility. I've been really happy with it so far, and feel like I will keep it for a long time. I run Fox Vanilla FIT 140rlc's, and set up 1x9 and find it great all-around.
    I can't really answer this from experience yet. I only have one ride on each bike now. I had the blue bike for a year and a half built with the ss components. However, here's how I am going to forecast it; if where I am going is unfamiliar and going to be for a long distance, reg 456. If I am looking to knock-around or get my gravity on, ss. Howevere, the regular 456 is pretty good at knocking around. Basically, whatever my mood is that day. As long as I am riding A bike, it's better than wondering if I made the "right" bike choice of the day.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What brand is the bike with 180mm fork? I don't think I've seen too many hardtails with 180 on'em. What's the HA on it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks
    What brand is the bike with 180mm fork? I don't think I've seen too many hardtails with 180 on'em. What's the HA on it?
    It is an iron horse yakuza hardtail. They were made to accept 200mm dual crown forks. The HA is 66.5 and the WB is 43. The ss is 64 degrees and has a 45 inch WB.

mtbr member
    Seeing the Lemon and the Lime 456SS makes my decision pretty much set on a 20" 456SS. I know they have some new colors planned as well in January/February.

Btw, how tall are you OP?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Seeing the Lemon and the Lime 456SS makes my decision pretty much set on a 20" 456SS. I know they have some new colors planned as well in January/February.

Btw, how tall are you OP?
    6' with 32" inseam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esku
    The SS rocks

Is this lime green or glow in the dark green?

Please say glow in the dark, reminds me of the Porsche GT3RS green, and mated with a black fork, looks sick. Definitely thinking of going this route with color.
    Last edited by eurospek; 12-20-2010 at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Just placed my ordered for a 20" On-One 456 Summer Season in glow in the dark green (the orange and lime green are too fluorescent and yellow's gone). I've been looking at all of the steel AM hardtail frames but nothing comes close to this in terms of price and value.

After seeing these two built up, it just reaffirmed my decision. Thanks guys!!! Can't wait to start the build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Is this lime green or glow in the dark green?

Please say glow in the dark, reminds me of the Porsche GT3RS green, and mated with a black fork, looks sick. Definitely thinking of going this route with color.
    Its Glow in the dark green, and its really glows in the dark
    Last edited by esku; 01-06-2011 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    ^ Your pics sold me on the color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Got an orange one just put a Sektor RL coil on it also received a green glow and the dark SS gona build up soon for someone else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am On-TWO now-20101231_009.jpg  

mtbr member
    You should post a pic of the GITD SS frame when you get a chance. I ordered one in the same color before Christmas and it shipped today from On-One. Pretty anxious to start building it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Those glow-in-the-dark SS are sooo tempting, but I already have a lime green one. Please post some night shots...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast