Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a AC Chub Hub and the free hub is slipping. I work on bikes a lot how do you open the rear hub. I talked to AC ( adventure components ) and they don't make MTB components anymore and could not help me??? any ideas....

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphoto View Post
    I have a AC Chub Hub and the free hub is slipping. I work on bikes a lot how do you open the rear hub. I talked to AC ( adventure components ) and they don't make MTB components anymore and could not help me??? any ideas....
    A lot of time if you can get the axle out of the hub you just need to put in a large allen wrench, something in the 10-12mm size. It will then thread out. If you are lucky they used a shimano freehub which you can just buy a new one that will thread in. If not and it was a proprietary freehub, there isn't much you can do, as must freehubs are not rebuildable and even if you could you probably couldn't get the correct pawls or springs.

Anyway try to remove it like I said, then go from there.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member

www.derbyrims.com

Atomlab Pimplite

Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I have one wheelset with an atomlab pimplite singlespeed hub, nice super quick engagement, and considerably less expensive than kings or I9s. The website says 60 poi and 6 pawls, I can't find what the degree of engagement is, but it is night and day compared to a shimano or house brand hub. I think there might be a point of diminishing returns, where much more than that is just bragging rights (and $$$) and may not make much difference on the trail. I can tell you it is pretty fast, ratcheting through and up tough low speed techy stuff is real nice especially on a SS, timing wheeliedrops is easier and instantaneous.
    Thanks for your review. I have searched and found few reviews of the Pimplite hubs.

The 60 clicks of engagement per revolution is quick. And the price is low compared to the near competition having 72 clicks. They are light in weight too.

Shimano's XT is 36 or 10%
    Atomlab Pimplite is 60 or 6%
    Hadley and King are 72 or 5%
    Hope Pro2 is 24 or 15% (and effectively slower, acts like an 18 tooth, because of their rip-saw shape of engagement teeth)
    Cane Creek 18 click or 20%
    Cane Creek Plus 36 ior 10%

mtbr member

Trail Prospector
    ^^^ Tough to tell from the video, yet I heard more like 80 clicks, not 204.

If anyone reading this has Elite hub: Please, mark a tooth and count the # of clicks made in one turn. - thanks.
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 05-01-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: re-phrased for clarity
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

FUNHOG!
    the profile mtb hubs have 68 teeth in the ratchet ring, so if the pawls are offset in pairs, that would be 204 engagement points. count the teeth in this picture if you like, i got 68.

http://www.profileracing.com/estore/...?productId=297

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    Look at the teeth on the I-9 compared to the teeth/pawls on the profile hub.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...b06ind9hub.jpg

Now look at the profile hubs. Take note of the size difference of the pawls and the difference in design on the springs.

Profile Racing - How To - Home

Seems like profile is embellishing quiet a bit. Also considering the only hub with over 200 engagement points is 999$ makes me think this is also BS.

Kappius Hubs 240 Points of Engagement | Mountain Bike Review
    Thanks for pointing out our Kappius Components hubs. We are currently the fastest engaging hubs on the market to our knowledge with 240 points. Feel free to ask me any questions about them and check out our website, Kappius Components

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hubs: Korean-Bar; engagement quick - "me likey green-card... you buy me drinkee???"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb View Post
    Thanks for pointing out our Kappius Components hubs. We are currently the fastest engaging hubs on the market to our knowledge with 240 points. Feel free to ask me any questions about them and check out our website, Kappius Components
    But from the above posts, true precision hubs are faster than your fastest hubs? No?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhanney View Post
    But from the above posts, true precision hubs are faster than your fastest hubs? No?
    That is true. We have the fastest pawl or drive ring (King/DT Swiss Star Ratchet style) driven engaging hubs. All roller clutches have some backlash but quantifying it is a bit harder because each design is different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb View Post
    That is true. We have the fastest pawl or drive ring (King/DT Swiss Star Ratchet style) driven engaging hubs. All roller clutches have some backlash but quantifying it is a bit harder because each design is different.
    thanks bikerb. just wondering how is the drag of the star ratchet style or fastest pawl driven style compared to a roller clutch? I have seen low engagement and low drag (white industries/hopes/nuke proof) high engagement and high drag (E13/Kings/DT) and lastly high engagement and low drag (True precision). I have not seen hadley's performance yet nor Kappius'

I am still on Hopes and wanting to spend some money on a higher engagement 142x12 hub.

few considerations on my mind:
    1.engagement (fairly high say 60 above?)
    2.weight (hmmm should there be a compromise?)
    3.drag (low)
    4.servicability (home mechanic)

what would y'all recommend?

mtbr member
    +1 for Hadley's
    Serviceability
    Reliable
    Aesthetically look good
    4yrs of pleased customer here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3