Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hubs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Hubs

I am looking to possibly upgrade my Hubs and am looking for input regarding the best brands out there. I see that HOPE and Chris King are very popular. Can someone send me a list of the TOP hubs? Also, I am currently using Velocity Hubs and they make a loud ratcheting sound while coasting. I would prefer a rear hub that is silent.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    King, Hope, I9, DT Swiss, Hadley are what most people turn to for quality hubs.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Your probably not going to have much luck finding a silent rear hub. Many of the nicer more pricey rears are actually louder than the cheaper counter parts. Hadleys are known as being very loud, I used to have a set that would scare small children! Might want to check out American Classic, I don't have personal experience with them but have read they are good quality and a little quieter, plus cheaper than the big four. I personally like a louder rear, my current Ringle buzzing away in the woods lets hikers and bears know I'm coming.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    my xt hubs are pretty quiet.

mtbr member
    If you search you might be able to find audio clips of each rear hub, or you can probably youtube them and find something. XT are definitely really quiet though, but not on the same level as the others mentioned in the first post. It really depends where you ride, what things are important to you, and most of all how much you want to spend. If needing minimal maintenance in wet environments is important, I'd go hope. If having the most engagement points is important, then I9 I think is winning that race. Could you get more specific what you are looking for/ price range?

mtbr member
    if you want a good value quality hubset don't be afraid to mix and match. i run king or hadley rear with hope proII up front. hadley are one of the best bargain quality hubs out there in a rear hub. hope meanwhile make an excellent front hub that's easily convertible to qr, qr15 or 20mm. best bang for the buck by far.

there are lighter options out there. i like jbend spokes so i stay away from i9. i realize they make a jbend hub as well but for the money i'd go with hadley. easy to work on. great customer service decent price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    hadley rear with hope proII up front.
    i have the same setup...hadley's are easy to maintain (allen keys and a spanner tool) and pretty quick engagement. no I9s but better than Hope by far.

EDR
    I would prefer a rear hub that is silent.
    Stay away from Hope Pro2's then, not sure about the Pro3's yet. Sounds like I'm firing a Gatling gun at people. Great hub though.

For quiet hubs, XT fits the bill, although hardly what I'd consider a "top" hub. Way to fragile if you are a heavier rider who ratchets or mashes a lot.

bike rider
    I use American Classics and can vouch that they are pretty quiet. They're also lighter than anything besides the questionable weight weenie hubs like Tune and cheaper than most high end hubs.
    Keep the Country country.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    To me stealth hubs are the ultimate, instant engagement and completely silent. They're really expensive though, I think like $500 for a hub.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    I was surprised to find that XT hubs are not sealed cartridges.

mtbr member
    DT Swiss would be second choice after Chris King hubs.

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by illini
    DT Swiss would be second choice after Chris King hubs.
    I just went to youtube to listen to what a king sounds like, it's like a prison siren! I don't remember them being that loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zexH...7F910&index=50

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by missoularider
    I just went to youtube to listen to what a king sounds like, it's like a prison siren! I don't remember them being that loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zexH...7F910&index=50

Dunno what model of hub that is but mine is not nearly that loud.

mtbr member
    Hubs dont make noise bearing do. If they have Ceramic bearings that would be the screaming you hear. Stainless or Hybird SIC bearings are quieter.

Perpetual Hack
    I have Hopes and DT's. Riding buddy has Hadley.
    The Loudest are the Hopes (24pt) the next is the Hadley (72pt) and the quietest by far are the DT Swiss. (18 or 36 pt) With the DT's you can hear them in the parking-lot but on the trail with the wind and tire noise, you have to listen.

michael

mtbr member
    What about the Pure XCR hubs from BWW? How are those in comparison to the above mentioned?

-Brett

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man
    Dunno what model of hub that is but mine is not nearly that loud.
    You may need to service them. They get quieter when they get dirty on the inside. I just serviced mine after about 8 months of riding and I had forgotten how loud they were when they were new.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    I was surprised to find that XT hubs are not sealed cartridges.
    They are still sealed though, as good or better than many hubs out there. The cup-and-cone design is also more adjustable than most hubs with cartridge bearings and the bearing design can handle side loading better than most cartridge bearings. The downsides to that design are that they have to be adjusted properly in the first place, rebuilding the bearings takes more steps than replacing a cartridge bearing (although it only requires basic hand tools, not a bearing puller and bearing press), and that the inner race is built in to the hub so if you don't treat them well and damage that race the hub needs to be replaced. Besides differences in maintenance there is no reason to hold this again the Shimano hubs

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day
    You may need to service them. They get quieter when they get dirty on the inside. I just serviced mine after about 8 months of riding and I had forgotten how loud they were when they were new.

My kings are brand new, so I had better not have to service them. I guess the term "loud" is a relative term. My rear hub has a nice buzz but not like as loud as that other hub in the youtube.

Also, to the other poster who said it is the bearings making that sound, in a rear hub, it is not your bearings making the sound unless your bearings are shot. The buzzing/clicking/whirring sound is the pawls clicking.

My old Hadleys had a much more pronounced clicking. I kinda like having the sound. Makes me feel like i am riding a precision machine and makes up for my lack of skill. ha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    White Industry hub has "some" sound, but not nearly chris king or hope volume.
    http://whiteind.com/home.html
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Hubs dont make noise bearing do. If they have Ceramic bearings that would be the screaming you hear. Stainless or Hybird SIC bearings are quieter.
    Bearings are silent unless they are rooted. Doesn't matter if they are ceramic, ceramic hybrid or steel.
    The noise these guys are talking about is the freewheel ratchet in the rear hub.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lets not forget Shimano XTR hubs.
    Best, John

Living the Dream

Don't Coast!

JK. I love my Hadley Hubs. Going on 7 years and only 1 rebuild.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member

you're joking, right?
    The freehub is what's making noise. Bearings have nothing to do with it (front hubs have bearings, ever heard a loud one of those?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast