Thread: Hub choice

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Hub choice

Have an alloy Trigger 1. Want to change out rear hub hub to get faster engagement. Hub that came with wheels is pretty sloppy.

Looking at White Industries and Chris King. Kings have 72 contact points. White Industries have 24.

Price is not an issue the issue for choice. Quality and faster engagement is. Comments most welcome.

THX

dog
    sit! stay!
    i have a set of CK hubs on both my bikes. one set is like 5-7 years old, I think... The rims have been replaced multiple times. the axles were upgradable, too... which is one reason a i still have the originals. they are pretty easy to keep greased. so, for durability i have to give them a pretty high grade.
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

TXTony
    Another vote for the CK...great hubs...have a set I9s on a bike and they are great as well..nice engagement on both sets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not sure if my last reply made it ... so

CK's have 72 contact points vs the 36 my present hub has. They are definitely in the running. Want to check out two other bransds - Hope ahd Hadley. Anyone know anything about those?

TXTony
    My buddy has a set on his bike....seem like nice hubs to me..he seems to really like them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Hub choice

If price is not an issue most people will say its a simple choice. Chris king.

Hadley's and Hopes are excellent too. Can't go wrong with either.

usually cranky
    ^+1. ck probably has the best track record for hubs ever. people do love their hadley's though. but i think not to at least consider dt 240's would be a mistake though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Chris Kings are the best, plain and simple - there is a reason they are vastly more popular than any other hub for trials (at least when the freewheel was still most commonly on the wheel), they simply don't grenade when others do and their engagement can't be beat.

If engagement isn't a big deal I go with Hopes, if it is it's got to be Kings.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I9. I've personally had, white industries, Chris King, DT Swiss, and I9. I say get I9 and never look back.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Like the guy above said. I think that I9 are probably just about the best thing going right now if you are looking for pure performance.

That being said I am currently running Hadley's and they are bullet proof, probably stronger than any other hub out there. They run larger bearings and all the DH style hubs (that is their normal hub) run everything on sub axles which makes for a play free setup that can occur in other through axle hubs. That and they have probably the best seals going, but this does come at a bit of a weight penalty of about 50 or so grams.

As for kings. I think they are over rated. If you want light hubs their are light and just as strong (DT swiss 240, hope pro2's, i9's.....) if you are looking for strong you have to put the HD axle and the stainless freehub body on the king which kill all weight advantage they have over strong hubs (eg. Hadleys) and the kings end up being heavier and no stronger.
    999.6 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    king actually have 72 point engagement when you crank on the pedals because of the ring drive. most of the other brands except dt swiss use pawls. no matter what the engagement on those hubs, the most contact points you'll have under power is around six pawls in contact. king trumps that by far with all 72 points of their ring drive engaging under power.

saying that, hadley is the best bang for your buck out there imho because they use a ti hubshell which lasts and saves weight. they have 72 poe although just pawls not a ring drive. hopes are quality, but only 24 poe. dt swiss uses the star ratchet which provides better contact than just pawls and they are light. if you are breaking pawls because of torque, go king. if you want decent engagement, quality build and great customer service at a better price than king, go hadley
    Last edited by qbert2000; 07-06-2013 at 11:05 PM.

usually cranky
    ^not disagreeing, just curious to why that is?

Prime
    I've had excellent results from DTSwiss 240s on several different bikes, with the 36 tooth star ratchet upgrade. I'm also currently really liking the e*thirteen LG1+ rear that I'm running. They make an XC, AM, and DH version of the same hub, or very similar anyway. Another advantage to the e*thirteen is the larger diameter flanges, results in shorter spokes, stronger wheel build, and the slight weight increase is negated by the carbon fiber hub shell. I like them enough to buy them again.