mtbr member
    Jan 2012

hows the trail king 2.4 in loose cover hardpack.

had my lbs order one for the front. wanted to try the large casing for plowing ruff sections. but most of my trails is so cal hardpack loose desert conditions. the tk had a lot of loyal users so I figured I couldn't loose. anyone impressed with it for my conditions. my thought is to run it with an ardent 2.25 on the rear. thanks so much any responders.

mtbr member
    Thats what their for... it will work great

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm in Utah. And I've had TK 2.2 UST on the rear paired with a Hans Dampf up front. Was a really good pairing, maybe lacking slightly in rear braking traction (compared to say a High Roller).
    Currently on TK 2.4 Protections front and rear. Braking traction is improved, but it is definitely heavier and slower than the previous setup. Better for downhill stuff, not quite so much fun for going uphill.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Rolls faster and grips a little better than my Nevegal (set up on the rear). Tire compound seems soft, reminds of the old Vert Pros as far as wear is concerned (okay, they don't wear THAT bad, but...).
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anybody know where to get the new 2.4 protection models mentioned earlier?

Not interested in UST or the Apex sidewalls.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Anybody know where to get the new 2.4 protection models mentioned earlier?

Not interested in UST or the Apex sidewalls.
    2.4's aren't shipping yet from what I've read. Although, Universal has the 2.2 TK Protections right now. BTW, the Protection versions have the Apex sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    sweet looking forward to trying it.

heres a review of what I have tried for any curious:

so far for the front I have tryed the older weirwolf up front which has been solid. probably got the most miles on as a front.
    also ran the newer wolf and not sure why I liked the older better. I think it gets into the side knob better making if feel less slippery.
    like the newer in the rear of many I tried though.
    also have the 2.35 and 2.5 minion, the 2.5 is a solid beast for the front. the 2.35 was good too but I think I got used to how the wolf lays over. and like the size of the 2.5 dhf better.
    the prowler on my xc bike seemed consistant up front also. supple and tacky and consistant.

currently im coming off the cedric ac 2.35 which im not sure about. looking down at its tread inspires confidence but its has a release point im just not used to. I might need to learn it as I did the wolves.
    also tried the ardent 2.25 up front which felt pretty consistant which surprised me. I thought it would be slightly looser with a bigger transitional gap from what I read from some.
    but all in all I am really looking forward to the massive tk casing and black chili compound. eventually I will probably try a damf to try all the front favorites.

I am also in search of and arsenal for the rear. I do like the wolf back there with any of the above fronts. It climbs brakes release and corners realy well. the cedric xc is fast but looser. I have a high roller but don't have enough saddle time too give a real feel review. im looking forward to maybe trying a wolverine or geax aka. I think either would be fast and sold for a rear combined with any of the above high performing fronts.

I am still in search of an arsenal for the rear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    had my lbs order one for the front. wanted to try the large casing for plowing ruff sections. but most of my trails is so cal hardpack loose desert conditions. the tk had a lot of loyal users so I figured I couldn't loose. anyone impressed with it for my conditions. my thought is to run it with an ardent 2.25 on the rear. thanks so much any responders.
    Did something similar.

I found a 29er trail king 2.4 for $35.00 shipped so i pulled the trigger. It replaced a 2.2 MKII BC protection on the front while the other MKII BC remained on the rear. I was riding soft over hard on the typical southwest trails found in NM.

Good:It rolls surprisingly well considering the weight and size, and has huge braking grip. As a bonus the large case volume just bashes over everything. I'm running them on WTB 23mm tubeless wheels and have yet to burp or lose a bead. It also used less stans than my MK to seal properly.

Bad. It has a bit of vagueness like the ardent when cornering. You have to learn to lean it a bit more to get the most out of the tire. I did find that lower tire pressures helped this quite a bit, but makes it roll slower.

It probably would be perfect if it were a BC compound.

SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I found a 29er trail king 2.4 for $35.00 shipped so i pulled the trigger...

It probably would be perfect if it were a BC compound.
    Heads up on those 29 TK 2.4 folding... there's not a sufficient amount of rubber to seal the casing threads around the bead. I had two of these tires puke stans goo out the casing just above the bead after 6 months of them being mounted...stranding me out in the middle of BFE once. The sidewall didn't rip, just stans all over the place.

BTW, has anyone seen the UST version of this tire available anywhere yet? I'd like to pair this tire w/ a 2.5 Minion DHF...DHR/TK, frt/rr. The DHR2 is a good match to the DHF, but I want more meat to hit chunder w/ more speed.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Heads up on those 29 TK 2.4 folding... there's not a sufficient amount of rubber to seal the casing threads around the bead. I had two of these tires puke stans goo out the casing just above the bead after 6 months of them being mounted...stranding me out in the middle of BFE once. The sidewall didn't rip, just stans all over the place.

BTW, has anyone seen the UST version of this tire available anywhere yet? I'd like to pair this tire w/ a 2.5 Minion DHF...DHR/TK, frt/rr. The DHR2 is a good match to the DHF, but I want more meat to hit chunder w/ more speed.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on it. So far it has been more reliable than my protection MKIIs by far. I wish I would have picked up a rubber queen while they were still available in larger sizes.

Funny you mentioned the minion. I've been thinking of moving the TK to the rear and getting a 2.5 DHF minion. I ran a 2.5 DHF super tacky compound on my 26" AM rig and the traction was god-like. Then again so was the weight
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

I'm with stupid
    Mine work quite well. Im a big time tire whore and this tire keeps getting put back on the AM bike.