mtbr member
    Feb 2011

How wide and how low?

I recently purchased a 2008 Ibis Mojo SL size medium from a buddy at a great price so I couldn't say no even though the bike is a little too big for me. I currently have an easton monkeylite XC that is 685mm and an easton EA90 stem that is 80mm x 10 deg which I am fairly comfortable on but still do not feel like I have enough control of the front end. My question is two part: One I am thinking of switching to the easton haven carbon bars which are 711mm and the haven stem at 50mm x 0 deg and would that still be comfortable and help with my perceived control issues? And two, I live and ride in Florida where the single tracks are relatively tight and I do clip my bars when I start to get lazy so should I just man up, go wide and low and just pay more attention? Thanks for the help.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bward220
    I recently purchased a 2008 Ibis Mojo SL size medium from a buddy at a great price so I couldn't say no even though the bike is a little too big for me. I currently have an easton monkeylite XC that is 685mm and an easton EA90 stem that is 80mm x 10 deg which I am fairly comfortable on but still do not feel like I have enough control of the front end. My question is two part: One I am thinking of switching to the easton haven carbon bars which are 711mm and the haven stem at 50mm x 0 deg and would that still be comfortable and help with my perceived control issues? And two, I live and ride in Florida where the single tracks are relatively tight and I do clip my bars when I start to get lazy so should I just man up, go wide and low and just pay more attention? Thanks for the help.
    Poor fit is never a bargain.

Can not tell what you mean by not having control. Could be any number of issues from not being able to turn to being too twitchy to not being able to loft the front end.

A bar/stem change may help. Or it may not because of the too big frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I can turn on a dime and handle the hills up and down fine it just feels like I can't loft quite as easily as I would like. And ill fitting is a stretch the only issue is standover height which is somewhat of an issue on the Mojo even with a perfect fit.

May contain nuts
    Similar to my situation. Put a 35mm stem on a large frame (I'm between frame sizes) and the handling is great, but my 700mm/40mm bars are a bit close so I'm going for a wider bar with a little less rise and more importantly less sweep. 720mm, 25mm, 7 back/4 up should do it.
    Figuring it out with small changes works, but can be expensive.

T.W.O.
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    5' 6" with a 30" inseam and wider shoulders but pretty average build. I ride aggressive but far from true all-mountain in florida. Don't get me wrong I do almost everything that my trails have to offer but we don't have the types of trails that the rest of the US have.

T.W.O.
    It should be fine. I have both small and med both fit me good. I'm 5'7" 30" inseam. The med is more XC the small is more fun and agile. I run 70mm on both bikes. The med is almost similar to most others small.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That is what I figured. I measured my previous bike (Orbea Occam Small) before I purchased and all but a few measurements were dead on and the ones that weren't could be adjusted via saddle and stem. I just wanted an excuse for new parts and this recent trend towards wide and low bars sounds like a good excuse to me.