mtbr member
    Jul 2014

How is this used bike?

Im looking for a new bike and wondering how this bike is? Is it a good bike? i see a lot of mixed reviews. Should i negotiate a lower price? Also im about 5'7" 5"8 at best. The guy listed this good for people around 6'0". I should be able to sit and touch both my feet right?

2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite frame 19"

mtbr member
    This is a listing for the frame only, with a pic of the bike included, which I always find misleading. Do you want a complete bike or do you want to build?
    IMO, the frame is too big for you if you are 5'8" on a good day, I have a 18.5 and I'm 5'10"-11". Having said that, top tube length may be a more important factor to consider rather than stand over height. As far as your final question, if you are standing, then yes both feet should be flat on the ground. Sitting in the saddle, your feet need not touch the ground, in fact that would be a sign the saddle is too low or the bike is too small. There are exceptions like a BMX or possibly a dirt jumper, but this frame is neither. If you want a bike that is designed for a full leg extension and that allows your feet to touch the ground when in the saddle, get a Townie or a bike of the aforementioned styles.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Oh thats lame, I would prefer a complete bike. I been searching around and i cant tel which bike is a good deal. Any suggestions or tips on bikes i should look out for? Hows this Diamondback Recoil 18-Inch/ Medium Full Suspension Mountain Bike For S

Kona "Stuff" 18" Shocks Downhill Mountain Bike OBO
    Last edited by misterious827; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    seems like your all over the place with bikes.. the first bike you posted is a cross country (xc) bike, the last two are Downhill (DH) bikes.. worlds apart... you seem pretty new, chances are you are looking for a xc, or a trail bike.. so some research on those..

Figure what type of riding you are doing, and then read to find a bike you like...then go ride the bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah im looking for a downhill/trail bike. Theres so much to read up on :/ and all i see is parts arent quality gear and etc.

mtbr member
    Step 1: Find out what type of trails are available to you. It's foolish to purchase, say, a DH bike, only to find all of your local trails have long climbs and flowy descents. You can easily waste a lot of money on a great bike for a miserable riding experience.

Step 2: Determine what type of bikes best suits those trails. Any one given trail can be a pleasurable experince across two adjacent bike types. For example, an CX bikes can go many places XC bikes can go, XC bikes can go some places AM bikes can go, etc.

Step 3: Determine which of the two types of bikes that best suits the riding style you hope to enjoy best suits your needs. You're factoring in cost differences at this point.

Step 4: Ride a few from different manufactures to get a feel for the frame geometry you desire.

There are tons of "What bike do I need?" articles, blogs, and threads. Read.

Or, you can let us guide you blindly.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterious827 View Post
    Im looking for a new bike and wondering how this bike is? Is it a good bike? i see a lot of mixed reviews. Should i negotiate a lower price? Also im about 5'7" 5"8 at best. The guy listed this good for people around 6'0". I should be able to sit and touch both my feet right?

2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite frame 19"
    I've got this bike, and I'm 6'2" and I have it in a 19" with a 100mm stem and the seatpost at max extension it fits me. In hindsight i'd have gone a size up, but if you want to shorten your stem and the seatpost has heaps of range to it, I can't see you having trouble making it fit you.

Also be aware, this frame is SUPER stiff. It has no give in it in any direction and tyre clearance on the chainstays make it hard to fit anything bigger than a 2.2 into the rear. Just be forewarned, it's a XC race machine and it's not taken how comfortable the ride should be into account into its build equation, it's ALL raw power transfer. Given the money I'd have much preferred the Stache.

That said, it is a great frame, you could make it fit you, but you'd be on the lower side of a 19" limits, but the bike has a pretty decent range to it.
    Yeti SB66a - 2013
    Trek Fuel EX 9 - 2012
    Trek Superfly Elite AL - 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Specialized XC
    what about this one? the guy said he would do 450 but im hesitant since its a 04 bike

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by misterious827 View Post
    Specialized XC
    what about this one? the guy said he would do 450 but im hesitant since its a 04 bike
    Uh, and it's the wrong size. Since you're looking at bikes around White Salmon OR, then I'm guessing you live in Portland/Vancouver or perhaps Hood River....So where you going to ride this bike? List us some trails. That will help.

What is your budget? If you only want to spend 500 bucks then you better set your expectations accordingly.

Next figure out the correct size. I'm guessing you're gonna want a 17 inch or perhaps smaller. That could be a small or a medium. Big variance in bike geometry and hence fit. Bike fit is more important than ANYTHING else.

Additionally, as has already been suggested, do some reading and try to educate yourself before you start really looking at bikes. Bike technology has driven the industry into nearly 10 different disciplines. As a result you need to be very clear about your use and your intent. For example you mentioned you want a downhill/trail bike. For starters, a downhill bike is not a bike to go "down" hills, and a trail bike can be a cross country bike, or it could be what is considered an all mountain bike, which is different than a cross country bike.

I guess the best suggestion I might say is it's kinda like buying a car. Be clear on how you want to use it and the purpose. From that, lots of folks on this forum can help guide you. Randomly stabbing in the dark by selecting bikes you find on Craigslist isn't going to net you a particularly good result without some homework first. Good Luck.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: How is this used bike?

Just clarifying:

Neither the diamond back or the kona in the links are actual downhill bikes. And, I'm gonna assume you don't actually want a true downhill bike (38#, 8 inch suspension, won't climb). From there, agree with others, there's a broad spectrum from xc to all mountain, and you may not even know where you fall on that spectrum yet.

The kona is a dirt jumper hard tail falsely advertised as a downhill bike. It could be a decent starter bike but it'll be heavy, especially with a Manitou stance on the front. Note that the stock fork is 100 mm, and the owner replaced that with a Manitou stance dual crown which is I believe 170mm or 180 mm. First, that fork is rather infamously cheap and bad, see here :

Stance Kingpin: Weakest weaksauce! Worst fork evar! Gore pics inside!

Secondly if you put a 180mm fork in a frame meant for 100mm you are asking to lose some teeth and facial bones, even for a sturdy DJ frame. So I'd stay away from that one.

The diamond back is also not a downhill bike, it's a standard high pivot with 4inch suspension, it'll be a decent starter bike, but it has very entry level parts and will probably need some work. if it fits you and you can talk him down to $250 it might not be a bad buy unless the fork is shot or something.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am also pretty new to the sport and I know it can be a bit confusing at first. As mentioned above first you must have decent idea of what type of riding you want to do, if you are not sure go to a local bike shop rent a bike and head to the trails you wish to try or if you are luck ask a friend to lend you his/her spare bike. Most decent bike shop will guide you in the right direction.

When looking at bikes on craigslist many listing can be very vague, and sometimes the poster will purposely not list certain components (weaker/cheaper parts). Use bikepedia as a reference to see what components the bike came with from factory. This is also helpful if the bike has upgrades. I think the most important things to look for are a decent frame and fork. You will notice the cheaper complete bikes will have a coil fork instead of an air fork. Sizing is also very important , too big or to small and you wasted your money. At 5'8 (I am the same height) I am guessing you will be looking at frames between 16" and 18" (roughly) depending on the frame geometry. If you aren't sure which size to look at most factory websites have a sizing recommendation chart based on height and inseam length.

Correct me if I made any newbie suggestion