Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How should one prepare for this jump

Some friends recently constructed a jump crossing a road on a local trail on a hill in town. What would your suggestions be on taking this jump as it will be sending the rider into the "unknown" (you need to spot the landing once your in the air). Not sure whether it is 3 - 5 foot high, got a nice transition so it doesn't really matter.

These pics were taken from a video they made to give you more detail of how it looks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How should one prepare for this jump-jump-1.jpg  

How should one prepare for this jump-jump-2.jpg  

How should one prepare for this jump-jump-3.jpg  

How should one prepare for this jump-jump-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    man up!

Stand on the lip, spot the landing, head to the top of the jump, drink a forty, don't think about it and pedal down the runway, pull up at the lip and land that sucker.

If you fall, get up and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    , pull up at the lip .
    Wrong. Sure way to dead sailor. Load your suspension at the base of the jump and let the rebound launch you off the lip.

Oh yeah, suspension, I always forget about things like that. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Oh, So Interesting!
    clearing jumps is a combination of speed and "pop". If you go fast enough, you don't need to pop, and may in fact need to soak up the lip (opposite of pop). Only experience will tell you how fast to go and how much to pop or soak. It looks like some of your friends are clearing the jump, so watch them and see what they're doing. You could also follow one of them into the jump... but since you are asking this question, maybe you should start with smaller jumps? From the pics, it doesn't look like a good jump for someone just learning.

mtbr member
    Fun looking jump! Stay LOOSE, pump the face, suck the bike up under you when airborne, place the bike for landing (push down on the bars at apex so you land front tire first). You can see the rider just clearing the road and just touching down the front tire, rear will follow in exact same spot when done properly. Set your rebound a click or two slower which will also help with compression. If you suck the bike up under you you'll have a lot more room for error than the rider in the pic (#3) who's too extended. Extend for landing, not at the apex.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Preload the suspension in the face of the jump stay on top of your bike spot your landing stick it and ride away

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    All these suggestions are great, but one that I think is INCREDIBLY important is to follow someone into it. I don't mean you and your buddy hike 50 yards up the trail and hit it cold. I mean start 1/4 or 1/2 mile back to get your mojo going and hit it. Optimal scenario is to follow someone you're used to following so you know how they ride. Seems like a lot of times I'll see my buddy do something and I will act accordingly without thinking....even if it's on something new, big, and scary.

mtbr member
    dont look at it first.....
    haul a$$........
    decide what to do once airborn.....
    prepare your anus.

only wau to go

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    All these suggestions are great, but one that I think is INCREDIBLY important is to follow someone into it. I don't mean you and your buddy hike 50 yards up the trail and hit it cold. I mean start 1/4 or 1/2 mile back to get your mojo going and hit it. Optimal scenario is to follow someone you're used to following so you know how they ride. Seems like a lot of times I'll see my buddy do something and I will act accordingly without thinking....even if it's on something new, big, and scary.
    if the situation enables it I completely agree.

For me, having an audience was always a killer because I'm afraid to fail in front of others. I would go alone and do the same jump with no issues.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you dont know how to jump, do you think this is the best one to start on?? I don't mean to be rude, just a reality check

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Once I get to the top I have to drop in immediately before my heart stops pumping and my head starts thinking of distraction. Follow through with the trajectory and commitment on the landing. Seems like a fast jump you might want to wear neck protection.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by simpterfex View Post
    Once I get to the top I have to drop in immediately before my heart stops pumping and my head starts thinking of distraction. Follow through with the trajectory and commitment on the landing. Seems like a fast jump you might want to wear neck protection.
    Yeah, you should start around with smaller jumps, learn how to bunnyhop if you don't know it already and wear neck protection and even spine armor. But never abort at the last moment, you will hurt yourself. And get as much speed as you can, since fear will give you the impression of excessive speed while you are not really fast. And lower your saddle, slow down the rebound on your suspension and be sure to have enouh preload not to blow the shocks off. Keep your feet on the pedals and your eyes open.

Then just do it when you are really ready. And don't tape it, it's the worst thing to do for a first time. You will get extra stress.

Have fun !

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Stay loose and hit it in a neutral position. It looks like the landing has a nice transition. Even if you come up short besides the thunk it looks like there would be little consequence.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    If you dont know how to jump, do you think this is the best one to start on?? I don't mean to be rude, just a reality check
    +1
    and on top of that I don't think its the best jump to do on AM bike while You're learning (might end up bad for both of you )

mtbr member
    Thanks to all the advice and warning.

Taking all comments into consideration and mentally preparing myself to a point where i felt confident enough, I took the jump yesterday afternoon and I cleared it, sketchy, but cleared it. I have to admit the first attempt felt as if I "forced" the bike and the whole effort. The second time round I was more relaxed and natural taking off, spotting the landing and putting the dragon down. I did the trail for a 3rd time and left due to a lack of light. Will go back this weekend. The experience is difficult to put in words, let me just say I feel even more in love with my bike (6" travel) and more confident in my riding than ever.

I am not new to jumping/taking drops, only new to jumps of this nature. I have never taken a jump that has this "step down" effect in the middel and that is what caused me to doubt the "way" to take it. In my mind I imagined it to be different to say a groomed Table Top in the bike park. I'm one of those riders always riding the trail in my head before actually riding it, increases my overall feel and experience.

Therefor the post to hear how you more experienced "jumpers" will take this jump. Will surely be more specific with my words next time round as I have not been too clear about my need for the info...

Happy riding All over the Mountain!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sick!

mtbr member
    Go fast; pull up...?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    My biggest hickup is when I do get some good air, I think I tend to freak out, and I also think I am not doing a good job of pulling the bike up under me, keeping my cg way to hi.

the last two times I did a large jump, I ended up with a concussion. I think that part of it is my constant battle with not looking far enough down the trail, which also means I dont fully look for my landing before I clear the top.
    I have to work on this, any tricks to get me to focus farther down the trail instead of watching my front tire???

Thanks,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    yep. match their speed and if they clear it, your next
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have learned lately that if you put yourself in the air it is always better than if you let the jump do it. I don't do anything fancy just preload the suspension right before it and try to pay attention to what your bike is doing in the air. If you have friends who can do the jump consistently and you can follow them...do that. It will be the fastest, easiest, and safest (at least for me) way of learning the jump.

innovator8 I know exactly what you are talking about. That feeling of "I have been in the air too long wtf do I do!?" It sounds like you are trying to do jumps outside your skill level. I only really started learning to jump this year.

Start with jumps where you can see the landing and focus on guessing your speed (ie - for this jump I think I am going fast enough to make the landing.) Once you start guessing correctly. Up the size of your jumps. You should slowly work your way up if possible. You should always be confident about your ability to make the jump.

The easiest way to learn to handle air time and bike control is at a table top jump line in a bike park. Each run just slowly increase your speed. Unfortunately depending on where you live that might not be possible.

Start small, increase your confidence, slowly work your way up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I saw a video where bearclaw stands on the lip of a challeging jump and he ,underhand, throws a small rock at the landing, hhmmm,become the rock. If you pay attention to how fast your hand has to to go and how much forward speed you need to give the rock,you can sort of put the same amount of momentum on yourself. "Become the rock"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips Cassieno, I have been riding for a few years now, I can handle smaller non gap jumps no problem, and some gaps I have cleared when I just hit them, I usually crash when doing it again. Its all in my head. I just need to go work on it at duthie, and learn to look father down the trail, that is my biggest problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bradknob View Post
    dont look at it first.....
    haul a$$........
    decide what to do once airborn.....
    prepare your anus.

only wau to go
    Best answer yet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast