Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,374

    How much would you pay for this bike?



    Bike is a 2000 Kona Kula. Guy I know paid $400 off Craigslist. I was all like . I don't think he made out that great. I wouldn't pay that much for a basic 11 year old Kona frameset and be content with my purchase.

    Am I right or am I right?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ktse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    395
    You're definitely right, but what exactly are you trying to prove? He already bought it...

  3. #3
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,973
    correct. where were you with your advice earlier? but, if he's happy with the price, so be it. i may overpay for some parts but if i'm happy with the price, then who loses?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    You're definitely right, but what exactly are you trying to prove? He already bought it...
    I'm wondering fair market value. That's all.

  5. #5
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,973
    fair market value is $200~. not that i would pay that, but someone will. apparently they'd pay $400 as well.

  6. #6
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,903
    Actually you all are going by how old it is, which is kind of unfair, if the bike hardly was ridden and the parts are in good condition I don't see that $400 is that bad. Sometimes you can have bikes bought, ridden a few times and put down in almost new condition, if this is the case then to me good deal, if however the parts are worn out and he has to replace anything on there besides grips, pedals or saddle due to personal preference not good.

  7. #7
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,020
    a) it has a sweet fender. b) it has a front disc and a rear v. easily worth $400.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Actually you all are going by how old it is, which is kind of unfair, if the bike hardly was ridden and the parts are in good condition I don't see that $400 is that bad. Sometimes you can have bikes bought, ridden a few times and put down in almost new condition, if this is the case then to me good deal, if however the parts are worn out and he has to replace anything on there besides grips, pedals or saddle due to personal preference not good.
    You be the judge.









  9. #9
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,020
    actually it does have a pretty nice spec, king, xtr, thompson, easton (though im not so sure about a used carbon bar that old).

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,117
    Yeah I'd say it's worth between 3-400. If it had rear disk-dropouts I'd say 400 easy.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    828
    If the wheels are straight and smooth, the fork is solid, and the drivetrain ok, it is a fair price, if it is the bike you want. Probably end up being $450-500 after new tubes and tires, maybe rimstrips. New cables and housing.

    ...It "looks" like the cranks are in decent shape. Those old marzocchi forks are pretty decent, so long as they haven't been totally abused and neglected.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    438
    hell id pay 400 just to get my hands on that sweet fender... amirite?

  13. #13
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,973
    i still wouldn't pay that much, but that's just me.

  14. #14
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whodaphuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,798
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i still wouldn't pay that much, but that's just me.
    No, it's not just you.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Aswell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    354
    And how/why are you getting lots of detailed pics of your "friends" bike at moment's notice just to prove on mtbr that you think he might have overpaid for it?

    Not trying to be a smart arse, just seems odd. I'm calling shenanigans...

  16. #16
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whodaphuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    And how/why are you getting lots of detailed pics of your "friends" bike at moment's notice just to prove on mtbr that you think he might have overpaid for it?

    Not trying to be a smart arse, just seems odd. I'm calling shenanigans...
    Yeah, it's a big conspiracy (shhhh...they're trying to poison you with chemtrails too)!
    What could the OP possibly gain by misrepresenting who's bike it is?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Aswell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Yeah, it's a big conspiracy (shhhh...they're trying to poison you with chemtrails too)!
    What could the OP possibly gain by misrepresenting who's bike it is?
    My conspiracy theory about what he would "gain" is that it's easier to ask did my friend overpay for this as opposed to did I overpay for this. It's definitely possible that it is his friend's bike, I wouldn't rule that out...I just wouldn't take a series of detailed pics of my friends bike to argue over whether it was worth $200, $300 or $400...but hey, to each their own.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    And how/why are you getting lots of detailed pics of your "friends" bike at moment's notice just to prove on mtbr that you think he might have overpaid for it?

    Not trying to be a smart arse, just seems odd. I'm calling shenanigans...
    Great detective work.

    The purpose of me posting this thread was me thinking maybe I was wrong saying he overpaid, maybe not. I wanted others' opinions on this. Simple as that.

    I got the pics because he posted them today on the car board we both are members of. When he first posted that Craigslist link I stated my opinion that I wouldn't pay $400 for it, poked fun at the front fender and no rear disc brake.

    And if you really think that I bought this bike and trying to see if I got a good price, put on your detective hat again and check the TransAM in my signature, then you'll know my style.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SwampDonkeyDisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    284
    Pretty sure the bike belongs to the poster. Go out and ride it instead of taking pictures of it and sharing them with these neanderthals.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    My conspiracy theory about what he would "gain" is that it's easier to ask did my friend overpay for this as opposed to did I overpay for this. It's definitely possible that it is his friend's bike, I wouldn't rule that out...I just wouldn't take a series of detailed pics of my friends bike to argue over whether it was worth $200, $300 or $400...but hey, to each their own.
    Don't take off that detective hat yet, but when did I ever say in this thread that I paid for this bike?

    From post#1:
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek
    Guy I know paid $400 off Craigslist. I was all like .

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    And how/why are you getting lots of detailed pics of your "friends" bike at moment's notice just to prove on mtbr that you think he might have overpaid for it?

    Not trying to be a smart arse, just seems odd. I'm calling shenanigans...
    op recently built up a very sexy trans am... I cannot imagine why hed buy a pos kona hardtail...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    34
    i think this post is great. Cause I was selling my NRS3 with mods and if this dude got 4 I can get 5 for mine.. So I am stoked.

    I would have paid 300-350 tops. Fork is just way to old.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    828


    My friend paid >$2000 for this hardtail. Do you guys think that is a fair price? I am just asking, because I have never spent that much on a bicycle (that's about as much as I spent on my car!), but I also have never had such a nice shiny one with all new parts.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SwampDonkeyDisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    284
    YOU paid too much...buhahahahahahahaah!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,374
    Quote Originally Posted by fotu

    My friend paid >$2000 for this hardtail. Do you guys think that is a fair price? I am just asking, because I have never spent that much on a bicycle (that's about as much as I spent on my car!), but I also have never had such a nice shiny one with all new parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •