mtbr member
    Oct 2004

How much stem/bar difference from your XC rig to your AM rig?

Hi folks, hoping I can see what others do and determine whats reasonable for me-- looking for feedback. I have years of experience on XC racing rigs and wondering whether I have my AM bike setup accordingly, or if my AM setup is limiting my abilities on the gnarly steep stuff.

At 5'11", I have long, long legs (35" inseam) and short arms/torso.

My superfly hardtail (24.4" top tube) is set up with 90mm stem and 26" bars, as was my top fuel and giant anthem previously. Any longer stems on these bikes and I am too stretched out, too much weight over front wheel, can't flick the bike around, etc.

Last year I rode my trek Remedy (24" top tube) with 720mm wide bars and a 80mm stem all over the place, including winter parks black runs. Also took it on some 40mi epics with plenty of climbing.

I could get behind the seat but barely-- the seat was rubbing my navel on the steepest stuff. I'm considering trying a 50mm stem for more aggressive descending. Is that crazy?

I'm racing enduros this year on the Remedy, at both crested butte and keystone, and i'm anticipating some steep gnar.

So, for those of you with both XC rigs and AM rigs, how different is your bar/stem setup? For stems on AM bikes, how short is too short?

the fitness XC guy in me has always set up my bikes to have almost equivalent positions... wondering how different I should go on this AM thing. Thanks for input/sharing your experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm not a downhill rider, and grew into the sport of mountain biking as an XC rider. Generally a shorter stem is a must on AM/DH riding. If you have an extra stems, or you know the mechanics at the local bike shop, see if you can get a spare stem or two. Try 70mm, I think it will allow you to get behind the saddle properly without too much compromis on your overall bike fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also, see if you can get a body geometry fit from someone at the shop who has experience with DH/AM riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 5'9", 32" insteam, so I'm sort of "average" but slightly longer legs than normal.

I've got a 17.5" 2011 Superfly 100 with a 23.50" (597mm) top tube as my race bike and a 19.5" 2011 Remedy 9.9 with a 24.0" (612mm) top tube.

I run 660mm, 5 degree sweep bars with a 100mm stem on the SF100, giving me 697mm effective reach (tt + stem) and an 810mm distance from my sit bones to the end of the handlebar grip (weird measurement I guess, but it allows me to standardize against my 4 different bikes) I have about a 25mm drop from my sit bones to the handlebar grips.

I run 710mm, 9 degree sweep riser bars with a 60mm stem on the Remedy, giving me a 672mm effective reach (tt + stem) and an 760mm distance from my sit bones to the end of the handle bar grip. I also have the handle bar drop set at 0, so that the seat is even with my bars.

This puts me in a more "sitting upright comfortable all mountain" sort of position on the Remedy, as I have essentially 2" less distance for my upper body. The SuperFly has a WobbleNaught fit on it and is optimized for Endurance (6 hour/100 mile) racing, while the Remedy is used for all day fun rides. Sitting on the Remedy after spending a few weeks on the SF100 feels like I'm on a cruiser bike, but damn does it haul going downhill.

edit: I'm a little biased as I have an AWESOME WobbleNaught methodology fitter (55nine.com) here in town but I really like that fit for maximizing your power and minimizing injury as it relates to Endurance MTB racing. The only part of the fit that I use on my Remedy is the seat height and seat setback to make sure that my legs/knees/hips etc are all aligned correctly. The whole handlebar height/cockpit length/etc on the Remedy is optimized for "AM" style riding (wide bars, short stem, even height) while on the SF100 it's optimized via the WN methodology for aerodynamics/spine alignment/lower back comfort for 6-12 hour days in the saddle.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When compared to your XC setup, your "bigger" bike setup sounds close enoughto how I'd ride it if I were in your shoes. Try adding a dropper post as it sounded like that was your only real complaint. Don't worry about the extra ~300g. They are worth the weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    IMHO you should have a 50-60mm stem on something that you are doing to huck downhill at winter park. You also NEED a dropper. It will transform that bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I did/do have a dropper, kindshock supernatural remote 150mm drop. It was dropped all the way at winter park. but I need so much seatpost exposed for climbing, that even when full "dropped" I still have an effective 3-4" of seatpost sticking out of the seat tube. I have long legs, i guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I will probably try 50 or 60mm stem soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sounds like you bought too small of a Remedy IMO. That's why I upped to a Large huck bike vs a Medium XC bike. So I can run a super short stem and not be too short.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A larger/longer remedy and shorter stem doesn't give me a NET increased ability to get behind the seat. Also, at 5'11", an XL Remedy would be awfully big. I bought Large.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: How much stem/bar difference from your XC rig to your AM rig?

Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I will probably try 50 or 60mm stem soon.
    That should work out. I run a 100mm stem on my 24.6 TT xc bike, and a 70mm on my 23.8 TT AM bike. If I'm hitting lift-served terrain I put a 50mm on the AM and swap my dropper post for a rigid post dropped all the way so I don't have to worry about breaking the dropper if I have to bail. Sometimes I wish I had sized down on the AM bike even with the 50mm because it feels like I'd be able to throw it around easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    800mm w/ a 45mm stem. Love it.