mtbr member
    Feb 2009

How much punishment do you give your bikes?

I'm completing a study on the actual punishment these newer bikes can take. My target types of frames are 4-5" rear suspension scandium/carbon/light weight material/ect. Please post your make, model, and year of your bike, type of riding you do, and a short story on crashes or jumps you may have been involved in. Try to be specific like the speed you were going when you crashed, or how high the jumps were, and if there were any damage to the frame or suspension.

What better forum but the all mountain section to post the crazy sh1t you've done on your bikes. And just to make it interesting, let us know how many bones you have broken and how many stitches you have.

wait...what?
    lets see...6 stitches? who knows, I panic at the sight of blood...

2008 giant trance 2...(not sure if this is what you're looking for?)

I occasionaly jump and drop, but I stick to rock gardens and lighter AM, though I just bought a RS pike, so i'll be riding harder....

lets see...Sharp rock gardens and forearms don't mix...Little scuff on the frame...no serious damage...what do you need? Oh, and I dinged my crank, but that is easily solved...

I RIDE MY B**** hard!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ride my "99" Spesh. FSR pretty hard, but I also take really good care of it. Hope this helps.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am looking for specific crashes and how fast you were going. Also, how high the jumps landing on what kind of terrain, so I can calculate the impact.

Example: I was going downhill on a sandy patch with a sharp left turn about 15mph. Missed the turn and went head on into a patch of thorns then directly into a tree. No damage to the frame or fork. bent the rim and the seat. 2" thorns in the arms and a 6" gash on the forearm that should have needed stitches, I decided not to go to the emergency room, so it left a very nasty scar. That was my first serious crash many years ago.

re member
    I have an '07 StumpJumper. M5 Aluminum. I live in Northern Alabama, and ride mostly at Monte Sano and Redstone Arsenal.

The terrain here is rocks, rocks and more rocks. I rarely do drops more than 2 feet. But I love to bomb down rock gardens. My frame has taken lots of hits from rocks, either from wrecking and bouncing off rocks, or from rocks flying up and hitting the frame. Lots of dings and scratches., but so far no catastrophic frame failure. My cranks and pedals are literally covered with scratches and gouges. (XT crank, by the way), but they are still fine functionally. I have replaced the BB bearings once, due to they got a little crunchy.

I have destroyed the stock wheels (DT Swiss 430's), and now have a pair of Azonic Outlaws. Heavy as all get out, but they are tanks! They stay true, and I am 220 lbs before riding gear, and not the smoothest rider out there. Climbing is a bit more of a chore, but I like the sturdiness of these wheels.

So far no broken bones, but I did get a nice gash on my left knee once. Probably shoulda got stitches, but I am too cheap for the Emergency room...now I have a nice scar. And, I now ride with full pads and a full-face helmet.

I know there are a lot of Specialized haters on here, but so far I have been really happy with mine.

attending to my vices
    2008 Giant reign.

I went head first over the bars down a set of very steep, narrow stone stairs in the jungle. I fell/rolled approximately 20 feet with the bike going first. the stairs were about 2 feet wide max with 3' to 10' fall on each side. I landed at the bottom of the stairs, I was going only about 3-4 mph when I entered the stairs and about 20mph when I stopped. Bike was fine, I had a lot of bruises and I scratched the stanctions on my 08 36 talas!!!
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

wait...what?
    ok....for my previous story....

conditions: dry, rough ground, rocks, and a shitload of railroad ties...

I was riding pretty damn fast *who the hell knows how fast*, and I flew into a tight turn over a railroad tie, hit a sharp rock, and burst into a sketchy rock garden with very little control...I had seconds, and I tried to choose the best possible place to bail...skid....*try* to dismount, and somehow my forearm gashed on a friggin sharp rock...

scuff on frame, small damage on fork...just cosmetic....oh, and i felt like the **** i pushed out the morning......

hope that helps

I'd rather be biking...
    I have an 07' stumpy elite 5.5 front travel fox 32 talas and 5 or 4 inch rear fox trias air, and have takin it off 4' drops to flat and have hit 7-8' drops to transitions several times without an ounce of problems at all speeds, I did add extra air to the shocks to limit any chance of BO.

I believe the bike was made for aggressive trail riding with minor drops and rock gardens at any speed, not so much FR. The frame and components are taking a beating in my opinion and just keep on going. Not saying get this kind of bike and do that kind of riding 100% of the time, but when i got this bike i didnt know my riding would shift from trail only riding to trail/freeriding. Sorry no high speed crashes or anything of that matter to compare too. The stumpy will have to work until i get a bigger bike.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    On a downhill run, I really was not going that fast BUT I made a table top and the way I came down was like a perfect pumping type landing... I took of like a rocket with way to much speed and launched directly off a huge berm.

25-35 MPH (hard to say it was like slow motion) and very high in the air, now off the bike by 4 feet I cleared hay bails, rocks, a small wooded area.... and landed way down the hill on another trail, the bad part was I was in the air with plenty of time to start flapping and trying to "land".... bike was fine just needed the rear wheel trued... I was not given the OK to try walking for 6 months

Just an awkward one legged landing thing, could do the same crash over 10 times in a row and walk away

I am 215 pounds, do jumps and drops up to around 4 feet high and am not a speed freak I would rather ride tech stuff at 15-20 absolute tops, I ride a Prophet. as my leg gets better and better I am starting to wonder how "big" I can go on my bike at my weight....

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog
    I'm completing a study on the actual punishment these newer bikes can take. My target types of frames are 4-5" rear suspension scandium/carbon/light weight material/ect. Please post your make, model, and year of your bike, type of riding you do, and a short story on crashes or jumps you may have been involved in. Try to be specific like the speed you were going when you crashed, or how high the jumps were, and if there were any damage to the frame or suspension.

What better forum but the all mountain section to post the crazy sh1t you've done on your bikes. And just to make it interesting, let us know how many bones you have broken and how many stitches you have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love the pic. Hopefully I will never have to experience a mishap like that one. I am going to need more input from you guys in order to formulate stress analysis.

mtbr member
    Hey Ray, since you're a fellow PA rider I was wondering where this happened at. Not too many places around here that I know where you could get that kind of speed to hit a table top

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    2008 Whyte Designs E-120 (a carbon version of the 2008 Marin Mount Vision), Easton carbon bars. Mavic 819 rims. Hope hubs. 2009 Rockshox Reba Team Maxle Light.

Latest crash was on Sunday. Dropped off a lip on a steep descent at ~14mph. 2 foot drop only but landed the front wheel awkwardly, burping almost all the air from my front tubeless tyre. Tyre/wheel tucked under and catapulted me into a tree with the bike getting flicked over the top after. Lucky escape for me. Bike completely unscathed except for bars twisting round slightly. Surface was dry hardpack with fist sized rocks. Trees were, well, tree-shaped and hard.

Back in September I had a pedal strike on a root that launched myself and the bike sideways at 25mph, landing on loamy soil. Detached shoulder (grade 3 AC joint rupture) for me and no damage to the bike.

mtbr member
    100% my fault for misjudging the lip... I was probably going half the speed of most but unfortunately made the tables when I thought I would land on the top flat.....first one went perfect other than not being ready for the speed increase.... second one pretty good a little cockeyed and again not ready for the speed increase... but then panicked and went strait off the berm.... still no big deal BUT I had enough time to right myself "land on my feet" and probably stiff as a board ...not so smart

It was the early part of the first season at 7 springs... been back several times now, with all my bones intact I am doing pretty good and jumping again but sometimes I get freaked out on berms (I focus on what is on the other side just in case I go over)

what gets me is I could do the exact some thing over and over and walk away, I just landed absolutely perfectly wrong

Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Hey Ray, since you're a fellow PA rider I was wondering where this happened at. Not too many places around here that I know where you could get that kind of speed to hit a table top

Huh?
    Both of them only have 5" of travel, but I try to keep it as fast as possible. Hit a few trees on downhills (actually average around 2-3 trees a ride, but my fault for not liking to use brakes). I've broken a few chains. Hydraulic cables have snapped. Derailleurs have snapped. Wheels have cracked. Swingarms have bent.

Honestly, my bikes don't take nearly as much punishment as I'd like them to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    100% my fault for misjudging the lip... I was probably going half the speed of most but unfortunately made the tables when I thought I would land on the top flat.....first one went perfect other than not being ready for the speed increase.... second one pretty good a little cockeyed and again not ready for the speed increase... but then panicked and went strait off the berm.... still no big deal BUT I had enough time to right myself "land on my feet" and probably stiff as a board ...not so smart

It was the early part of the first season at 7 springs... been back several times now, with all my bones intact I am doing pretty good and jumping again but sometimes I get freaked out on berms (I focus on what is on the other side just in case I go over)

what gets me is I could do the exact some thing over and over and walk away, I just landed absolutely perfectly wrong

I only asked because I am pretty sure I witnessed that "incident" haha

I did the exact same thing early this season there. But escaped only missing a fingertip and being very bruised along with damaging a rental bike. Taught me a lesson about wearing gloves while riding though...

mtbr member
    hahah, I could not have gone down in a worse place.... almost directly under the freakin lift so everyone had a great birds eye view of my stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    I only asked because I am pretty sure I witnessed that "incident" haha

I did the exact same thing early this season there. But escaped only missing a fingertip and being very bruised along with damaging a rental bike. Taught me a lesson about wearing gloves while riding though...

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    I take this XC bike: http://www.rscycle.com/2009-Iron-Horse-Warrior-4-0 off of like 3 foot drops to flat and it isnt an AM bike. I do only weigh 90 lbs though.

rides with camera
    I beat my bikes like rented mules
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    Just noticed, there`s alot of these angry little dudes in this thread
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

bike rider
    I sent it straight to bed without dessert once. I didn't bother reading the thread first but I hope this helps. Remember, spanking just teaches that violence is okay.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Anyone out there get their fram cracked or bent on a crash or jump?

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    hahah, I could not have gone down in a worse place.... almost directly under the freakin lift so everyone had a great birds eye view of my stupidity
    Did the same thing @ 7 Springs this year. Muddy approach on a jump plus worn out Larsen TT's= Awesome landing to the right of the Tabletops on the hill as opposed to the landing of the Tabletop. Right in the mud, front tire washed out and that was it. Nice face plant in the mud. At least it was soft. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog
    Anyone out there get their fram cracked or bent on a crash or jump?
    My Dual Crown DUC32 swung around hard enough that it put a nice little dent in the down tube of my 2 month old Durance frame. Even the rubber bumpers couldn't stop the DUC in time to prevent the dent.

Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH