Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    464

    How much does it cost to build a bike?

    So I am looking into buying a second bike for some more xc/am style riding. My other bike is a vp free. So I am thinking of starting with a frame and building one up. If I start with a frame and rear shock, how much will I need to spend to build a decent 30 lb bike.

    I realize there are a ton of x factors in my question. I have the tools to put together a bike, but have not done it before, which is one of the reasons I want to do it. Assume that I would be buying the parts online or on sale. Recessions suck.

    Thanks for the advice
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

  2. #2
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    too many variables.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,903
    way too many variables..

  4. #4
    R12
    R12 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    62
    As ^^^^ said, too many variables and will also depend on how much prices have changed given the current environment. I would Google the frame and major components to get a rough idea.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G4VNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    356
    Start by picking and naming a frame......people will tell you whats best for it then.....

    No doubt!
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

  6. #6
    Infidel
    Reputation: KYMtnBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    414
    $3827.23

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G4VNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by KYMtnBkr
    $3827.23
    haha
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markw1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    527
    You could probably build something reasonable around the £1000-1500 mark... but like the above said - Hard to offer any advice without knowing where you're starting from.

    One thing that I've learnt when building bikes is that no matter how many times you've done it before, you still end up fiddling about with things like different stems, parts, etc. This can be costly, so make sure you budget for a contingency - there's always ebay to flog the old/new bits as you go. Also, it depends whether you want to build it quickly and then start to replace bits over time (as more cash becomes available)...

    If you've never done this before, don't forget to budget for tools. Although you can do many things (like beat a headset in with wood blocks - I know I've done it), you really should consider investing in the proper tools.

    Hope these thoughts help.

  9. #9
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,047
    Fork - $300+
    Wheels - $150+ [XT hubs]
    Tires - $50+
    Shifters - $50+
    Brakes - $150+
    Cranks - $100+
    Pedals - $15+
    Seatpost - $30+
    Seat - $20+
    Derailleurs - $50+
    Bar - $20+
    Stem - $10+
    Grips - $4+
    Headset - $15+
    Assorted bit and pieces - $20+
    Hex Keys - $10+
    Hacksaw - $10+
    Locking Pliers - $10+
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Total - $1000+ of new parts

    It's often more cost-effective to buy a used bike, strip everything you can off of it and swap the parts onto the FS you want. A 3-year old Stumpjumper hardtail will have disc brakes, decent shifters and may cost as little as $500. Sell the frame to help offset the cost of the build.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: string's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    I would say for a decent build you are looking at $1200 - $2000 depending on how hard and patient you shop for deals with $1500 being a good target.

  11. #11
    Força Barça
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    I don't know where you are getting your figures, but according to my calculations it should be $3,728.23
    All I have is my dreams and my LandCruiser

  12. #12
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,007
    Rolling your own is satisfying but expensive.
    You could pick up last year's model, would be much cheaper than buying the parts separate.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nagatahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Fork - $300+
    Wheels - $150+ [XT hubs]
    Tires - $50+
    Shifters - $50+
    Brakes - $150+
    Cranks - $100+
    Pedals - $15+
    Seatpost - $30+
    Seat - $20+
    Derailleurs - $50+
    Bar - $20+
    Stem - $10+
    Grips - $4+
    Headset - $15+
    Assorted bit and pieces - $20+
    Hex Keys - $10+
    Hacksaw - $10+
    Locking Pliers - $10+
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Total - $1000+ of new parts

    It's often more cost-effective to buy a used bike, strip everything you can off of it and swap the parts onto the FS you want. A 3-year old Stumpjumper hardtail will have disc brakes, decent shifters and may cost as little as $500. Sell the frame to help offset the cost of the build.
    realistically I would double that to $2000 for quality parts.
    I just updated my old frame and replace almost everything including discounts/ tax and shipping:
    XTR/ Mavic wheelset w/ XTR rotors $700
    XT crank $290
    Fork Pike 454 ut turn. $450
    Seat WTB Rocket V Ti $110
    Thomson Masterpiece Seat Post $140 ( no discount)
    Shimano 424 pedals $60
    rear derailuer LX $30
    Rear shock Fox DHX 5.0 coil $300
    FSA stem $30
    tires. tubes, handle bars and grips notwithstanding.
    $3728.23 to be exact!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: delnorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,237
    You could buy a closeout 08 with good parts brand new, not have to build and save way more $ than building and buying each part individually. Unless you're really into picking every single part, I'd just buy an entire new 08 bike and save lots of $ on parts.

  15. #15
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,350
    I finished my Yeti build last month. It came in around $2200. The frame was $1200. Half the fun was scouring the web for great deals. Building from the ground up was a very satisfying experience. I doubt I'll ever buy a complete bike again.

    2008 Yeti 575 - size large ano black

    Rear shock - Fox RP23
    Fork - RS Revelation dual air @ 140
    Wheels - Cane Creek Zonos tubeless
    Brakes - Formula ORO K24 180 mm front 165 mm rear
    Shifters X9 trigger
    Derailleurs - X9
    Cassette - Sram PG 980
    Cranks - Truvativ Stylo 24-34-bash
    Bars - Easton Monkey lite carbon w/ODI lock on grips
    Headset - Cane Creek S3
    Saddle - WTB Pure V
    Stem - Sette Edge
    Cables - Sram Flak Jacket kevlar
    Pedals - Tioga MX Pro Platform Pedals
    Tires - Panaracer Rampage 2.35
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 03-20-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    No moss...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    realistically I would double that to $2000 for quality parts.
    I just updated my old frame and replace almost everything including discounts/ tax and shipping:
    XTR/ Mavic wheelset w/ XTR rotors $700
    XT crank $290
    Fork Pike 454 ut turn. $450
    Seat WTB Rocket V Ti $110
    Thomson Masterpiece Seat Post $140 ( no discount)
    Shimano 424 pedals $60
    rear derailuer LX $30
    Rear shock Fox DHX 5.0 coil $300
    FSA stem $30
    tires. tubes, handle bars and grips notwithstanding.
    $3728.23 to be exact!
    XTR wheels,XT cranks, ti seat, Fox DHX coil......LX rear deraileur?!?!

  17. #17
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,223
    I built up a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR to 27.83lbs for ~$2300. The frame and fork were used, but everything else was new. I have the specs listed in my profile - it's a pretty high zoot in my opinion.
    Axle Standards Explained

    Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

  18. #18
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56
    So I am looking into buying a second bike for some more xc/am style riding. My other bike is a vp free. So I am thinking of starting with a frame and building one up. If I start with a frame and rear shock, how much will I need to spend to build a decent 30 lb bike.

    I realize there are a ton of x factors in my question. I have the tools to put together a bike, but have not done it before, which is one of the reasons I want to do it. Assume that I would be buying the parts online or on sale. Recessions suck.

    Thanks for the advice
    Anywhere from 1,500 to 5,000+

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigtymerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    206

    I am in the middle of build right now

    Curtlo Custom Steel Frame
    White Brothers Fluid 135mm 20mm axle Fork
    XT derailleurs, chain, cassette and shifters
    Avid Code 5 disc brakes 185mm rotors
    White Industries M16 rear hub 36
    White Industries front hub 20 thru axle
    DT Alpine spokes
    Salsa Gordo rims 36
    WTB Laser V saddle
    WTB Weirwolf 29x2.55 tires
    Race Face Deus XC riser bar 31.8
    Thomson X4 stem 31.8
    Thomson 31.6mm seatpost
    HSC long cranks w/Race Face chainrings 215mm
    White Industries BB
    Chris King headset
    Oury grips

    Price $ 3388.00 rollin out the door.

    I will probably switch a couple components but this is the price I was quoted for this setup. I will probably switch out the fork with the Magic 110mm 20mm axle and the bottom bracket with a Phil Woods, the fork should drop the price about $200.
    Last edited by bigtymerider; 03-21-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Typo
    Live Large

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    86
    Too many variables.

    I gave myself a budget of $2500 6 months ago. 6 months later I am 5k deep.

    But I love it!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: luckynumber9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    582
    i gave myself a 1k budget, i finished at nearly 2k. to be honest i wish i would have never done a custom build.

  22. #22
    uhhhhhyea
    Reputation: lpranal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    284
    If you're just building from scratch, then like has been mentioned before... way more cost effective to go with a previous year closeout.

    If you have a significant amount of parts to work with, it gets into a grey area. but you WILL go over budget, so pad your estimate!

  23. #23
    Huh?
    Reputation: airs0ft3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    344
    What I do (and would do in your case) is just start saving up until you could buy the lowest end parts. By the time you have the money, the lowest end parts are newer and upgraded because of how quickly MTB technologies advance these days.

  24. #24
    rides with camera
    Reputation: sherijumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    895
    Aywhere from $ 1000 - $ 10000
    Fu(k cancer

    thelonebiker.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    851
    I built up my Yeti 575 for $1450. I got the frame used for $500, and I also got a Rock Shox Pike used for $300. Here is the rest:

    XT RD, FD, Shifter
    XTR Crank (re-use)
    Mavic 717 rims with XT rear hub (re-use) and Hope Pro 2 front hub
    Thomson Seat Post
    CK headset
    Race Face bars & stem
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Yeti seat, & lock-on grips

  26. #26
    hithard
    Reputation: lou_b_83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    155
    I built up a Kona Coiler and it cost just over $2000. Did I mention that was after I had the frame.
    Specialized Pitch for the win!!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    23
    Hey people, i'm new here and this is my first post. I'm in the process of building my own bike right now. I haven't rode seriously in over 10 years but i'm now ready to get back into the game. My starting point (frame) believe it or not is from a Jeep branded full suspension bicycle that I bought about 4 years ago and have never really ridden. The reason I bought it because the frame looks amazing, and got for dirt cheap. Its all aluminum with no paint, just clear coat on aluminum, with a front disc brake and rear disc ready. My intentions were to always strip her down and build it with quality parts, which I finally started 2 weeks ago. I figure i'd post my process with pricing of everything here since its a suited topic. Here's where I am as of now in the order of purchase, keep in mind I live in Canada so all prices are in cdn dollars without tax factored in.



    1. Michelin All Mountain gray/black tires to match the colour scheme of course. $105/pair
    2. 2009 Shimano Deore XT rear v-brakes. $45 I figure i'd continue with a vbrake setup for now and upgrade to disc at a later time.
    3. Sun Rims Rhino Lyte rear rim w/shimano deore xt hub, hub is disc ready. $157
    4. 2006 Manitou R7 Super 100 front suspension w/ remote lockout. $280
    5. Ritchey Logic WCS headset. $50
    6. YASUSU Dual Adjustable Rear Shock / Compression & Rebound Adjustable / Preload Spring Coil. $132 w/shipping. Yes you've never heard of them before, I did some research and this company makes springs for Yamaha motorcycles. Figured i'd try it out since the price was good. Also the color matches perfectly with the front fork (black & anodized red) Its being custom made for my application as I speak, should be ready in a few weeks. This was an ebay purchase.
    7. SHIMANO FC-M542 170MM MOUNTIAN BIKE CRANKSET W/BB. $94 from ebay w/shipping. Non-series. Being shipped now.
    8. Avid BB7 mechanical front disc brake. $70.

    Item i'm bidding on ebay and hope to win;
    1. Shimano XT M772 Shadow 9 speed Mountain Rear Derailleur
    2. Shimano Deore XT ST-M760 Shifters V Brake Levers

    So far i'm at $933 with the above plus 9 speed cassete (mostly likely will go with Sram PG-950 11-32), front derailleur, lighter handlebar (Likely Bontrager Race Lite for light weight & cheap price), chain, and new seat still to come for now. All other parts not mentioned i'll upgrade throughout this season. I'll keep you updated.
    Last edited by murda; 03-22-2009 at 05:51 PM.

  28. #28
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    the $30 frame will hold you back
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saxon9598's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    I built up my Yeti 575 for $1450. I got the frame used for $500, and I also got a Rock Shox Pike used for $300. Here is the rest:

    XT RD, FD, Shifter
    XTR Crank (re-use)
    Mavic 717 rims with XT rear hub (re-use) and Hope Pro 2 front hub
    Thomson Seat Post
    CK headset
    Race Face bars & stem
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Yeti seat, & lock-on grips
    I'm on my 4th bike build this year (I have an addiction) they are all completely different but still cost at least $2500 and that's for the hard tail, all new bling parts. Biggest expenses are the fork, wheels and brakes so if you can get those used, it will help a lot, Green Fish and Price Point have nice build kits that are more than OK and make it easier on the shipping cost (it will add up). You will also need to factor in the initial cost of tools, at a minimum, bottom bracket and a cassette tool. the rest you can get away with using regular tools. don't get an expensive saddle at first try some out. I ended up using different saddles for different bikes, my hard tail is perfect with a $35 WTB saddle that I hated on my AM, that saddle on the AM sucked big ass on my XC bike. so experiment. Stem length, handlebar with and saddle will make the biggest difference between a crappy ride and a perfect one on the same bike so go with cheap components at first if you are not sure. Settee from Price Point is an awesome resource for that, cheap as hell but well built. All said and done, you will learn a lot by building your own bike, in the end you will have the knowledge and tools to repair and trouble shoot your own bike so huge savings in not having to go to an LBS to get work done. Do it, you wont regret it.
    F88me самолюбивый член

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    23
    Just added a photo from the blackberry to my previous post.

  31. #31
    it's....
    Reputation: Strafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by murda
    Just added a photo from the blackberry to my previous post.
    You may get a flood of replies on the sanity of your build.

  32. #32
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    realistically I would double that to $2000 for quality parts.
    I just updated my old frame and replace almost everything including discounts/ tax and shipping:
    XTR/ Mavic wheelset w/ XTR rotors $700
    XT crank $290
    Fork Pike 454 ut turn. $450
    Seat WTB Rocket V Ti $110
    Thomson Masterpiece Seat Post $140 ( no discount)
    Shimano 424 pedals $60
    rear derailuer LX $30
    Rear shock Fox DHX 5.0 coil $300
    FSA stem $30
    tires. tubes, handle bars and grips notwithstanding.
    $3728.23 to be exact!
    Quality parts? That's what all the + signs were for.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

  33. #33
    Seeeriously easy Livin
    Reputation: Flystagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,864
    I'm sorry to say that after you dumped $1000 dollars worth of parts on that frame, it still looks like a wallmart bike. I suggest you go test ride a few full suspension bikes down at your lbs, to get a baseline for comparison, because you will probably find the frame is the next part that needs to be upgraded, even if it does look amazing.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    I'm sorry to say that after you dumped $1000 dollars worth of parts on that frame, it still looks like a wallmart bike. I suggest you go test ride a few full suspension bikes down at your lbs, to get a baseline for comparison, because you will probably find the frame is the next part that needs to be upgraded, even if it does look amazing.
    You don't say?! Actually I wen't to several lbs, looked at and test rode a few "Wal-Mart" looking bikes, and there were several, and came to the conclusion that going about it this way is more fun. If all else fails i'll just slap a sticker on it of a reputable name, and come up with a bs story about how its some crazy limited edition frame. Then everyone will think its cool.
    Last edited by murda; 03-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    55
    Murda go for it Y bikes are going to make a come back

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vk45de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    looks like a wallmart bike
    It IS still a walmart bike

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nagatahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondback_hardtail
    XTR wheels,XT cranks, ti seat, Fox DHX coil......LX rear deraileur?!?!
    Yeah I know!! Thanks for reminding me.: ( I will purchase an XTR set up later.

    My bike came with a Hone axle mounted rear derailuer, Hated it! I wanted to switch to a normal set up. My lbs only had the LX in stock so I told them the install it after they assured me the LX would shift normally and crisply.
    It does!! so far so good. For now I'm just riding the bike and breaking in the new, shock, fork and springs. the bike handles soo much better now!!!

    Utimately I want to replace the frame to match the components. I like the Titus FTM, Turner 5 spot, and Felt Compulsion 1. I can get a deal at my LBS on the Compulsion but I really like the Titus. I'll see what I can wrangle on the Titus...
    Last edited by nagatahawk; 03-23-2009 at 08:54 AM.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by murda
    If all else fails i'll just slap a sticker on it of a reputable name, and come up with a bs story about how its some crazy limited edition frame. Then everyone will think its cool.

    Dishonesty..... Now that is the way to go

  39. #39
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by murda
    You don't say?! Actually I wen't to several lbs, looked at and test rode a few "Wal-Mart" looking bikes, and there were several, and came to the conclusion that going about it this way is more fun. If all else fails i'll just slap a sticker on it of a reputable name, and come up with a bs story about how its some crazy limited edition frame. Then everyone will think its cool.
    Nahh... the best is somebody things its an old Trek. Personally, I think you would go better with a new bike than put a lot of money into that frame. You would spend a lot of money, but still get to ride an wallmart bike.

  40. #40
    offroader
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,189
    At least $1000 include the price of the frame.

  41. #41
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Way too many variables for the beginner's forum.

    Or you could always build a bike with Dreambikes:

    ellsworth/dreambikes

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ToneyRiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    397

    Expensive

    I once built a bike from the frame up. It was a Santa Cruz Blur and I built it up using all the parts I wanted. It ended up costing me way more and I shopped around for the best deals. The large bike companies buy at such a large quantity that it is impossible to build a bike cheaper. I do have to say that it was a great build, but when I went to sell it to buy a new one I took a big hit on the price. If you are willing to spend the money and not get it back when you sell it then I guess it is up to you.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    23
    In all seriousness, I will probably upgrade the frame but it will be the very last thing I do and wont be this year. I'll be known as the guy with the worlds most expensive walmart bike untill then. I do have some updates for parts, my Shimano FC-M542 Hollow tech crank set arrived in the mail today, and won two more auctions on ebay. The XT Shadow rear derailleur for $94 shipped, and the XT intergrated shifters & brakes for $84 shipped. Brings the total up to $1,111. Remember this is cdn dollars so at the current exchange rate that's less than $900us. The best part of building a bike is I get to select the parts that suit my needs, I can spend more in one area and less in another. For example I don't need hydro brakes so I spend less on that and have put it towards the shadow rear derailleur which for me is more important.
    Last edited by murda; 03-23-2009 at 03:50 PM.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    851
    Do you really want to brag about that? Keep in mind you could wreck some of your nice new parts if the frame does break apart...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    23
    Brag? I'm simply stating the price of all the parts I’ve been purchasing for this build. Do I have reason to brag? The parts I’m purchasing are middle of the road parts. Not much to brag about if you ask me, especially since its all going on a walmart bike. Yes I’m very concerned about the structural integrity of the frame; I will consistently be eying the frame as I ride. If fact I even worry when I sit my 200lb cadaver on it, you just never know when a bike may split in half on a XC trail, which is all I plan on using it for.

  46. #46
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,407
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56
    So I am looking into buying a second bike for some more xc/am style riding. My other bike is a vp free. So I am thinking of starting with a frame and building one up. If I start with a frame and rear shock, how much will I need to spend to build a decent 30 lb bike.

    I realize there are a ton of x factors in my question. I have the tools to put together a bike, but have not done it before, which is one of the reasons I want to do it. Assume that I would be buying the parts online or on sale. Recessions suck.

    Thanks for the advice
    First of all, if you don't have any of the parts already to start with, you will do better buying a complete bike. Before anyone gets on here saying how you can get great deals on parts if you are patient and look around, keep in mind that with the same determination and patience the same is true of a complete bike, and you will still come out ahead.

    As far as how much for a build? That's like asking how much a new bike is. 30 lb xc bike that you won't ride hard? Well under $1000. High end 30 lb bike with 6.5" travel that is strong enough to do some light FR and still be able to do 30 mile xc rides? Over $2000

  47. #47
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,407
    Quote Originally Posted by murda
    Hey people, i'm new here and this is my first post. I'm in the process of building my own bike right now. I haven't rode seriously in over 10 years but i'm now ready to get back into the game. My starting point (frame) believe it or not is from a Jeep branded full suspension bicycle that I bought about 4 years ago and have never really ridden. The reason I bought it because the frame looks amazing, and got for dirt cheap. Its all aluminum with no paint, just clear coat on aluminum, with a front disc brake and rear disc ready. My intentions were to always strip her down and build it with quality parts, which I finally started 2 weeks ago. I figure i'd post my process with pricing of everything here since its a suited topic. Here's where I am as of now in the order of purchase, keep in mind I live in Canada so all prices are in cdn dollars without tax factored in.



    1. Michelin All Mountain gray/black tires to match the colour scheme of course. $105/pair
    2. 2009 Shimano Deore XT rear v-brakes. $45 I figure i'd continue with a vbrake setup for now and upgrade to disc at a later time.
    3. Sun Rims Rhino Lyte rear rim w/shimano deore xt hub, hub is disc ready. $157
    4. 2006 Manitou R7 Super 100 front suspension w/ remote lockout. $280
    5. Ritchey Logic WCS headset. $50
    6. YASUSU Dual Adjustable Rear Shock / Compression & Rebound Adjustable / Preload Spring Coil. $132 w/shipping. Yes you've never heard of them before, I did some research and this company makes springs for Yamaha motorcycles. Figured i'd try it out since the price was good. Also the color matches perfectly with the front fork (black & anodized red) Its being custom made for my application as I speak, should be ready in a few weeks. This was an ebay purchase.
    7. SHIMANO FC-M542 170MM MOUNTIAN BIKE CRANKSET W/BB. $94 from ebay w/shipping. Non-series. Being shipped now.
    8. Avid BB7 mechanical front disc brake. $70.

    Item i'm bidding on ebay and hope to win;
    1. Shimano XT M772 Shadow 9 speed Mountain Rear Derailleur
    2. Shimano Deore XT ST-M760 Shifters V Brake Levers

    So far i'm at $933 with the above plus 9 speed cassete (mostly likely will go with Sram PG-950 11-32), front derailleur, lighter handlebar (Likely Bontrager Race Lite for light weight & cheap price), chain, and new seat still to come for now. All other parts not mentioned i'll upgrade throughout this season. I'll keep you updated.
    Wow, I've heard of polishing a turd, but you've built a shrine to this one.

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    I can't imagine that post with the pic of the bike is serious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •