mtbr member
    Apr 2012

How Much is This Bike Worth?

I am looking into getting a new bike because my trek 3900 is really holding me back. I have been searching around on pinkbike and this is on of the bikes i am looking at in my price range (1300-1800). I dont know a whole lot about components yet, but i know that santa cruz is a tough brand and that the nomad is a solid choice based on reviews that i have read. The seller offered me a shipped price of $1776. Obviously i want to get a second opinion on what i should offer to pay him as a counter offer. Here is the parts list and a link to the listing.

2007 Large santa cruz nomad x.9 fox 36 chris king - Pinkbike

2007 santa cruz nomad frame size large.
    Fox 36 talas. there is a little sharpie mark on it. cant feel it, its just color
    dhx 5.0 with 450lb spring
    x.9 rear derailleur
    shimano cranks with roller
    rear dt swiss hub with dt ex 5.1 rims
    shimano cranks
    front hope pro 2 with laserdisc trail and new wtb weirwolf
    easton havoc bars
    avid juicy 7 brakes
    odi stem
    Chris King Headset
    hope seat collar
    no pedals

Does this seem like a good option? What do you think it's worth?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    1400-1500

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Similar builds on the auction sites sell for anywhere between 1300-1500. Was actually surprised a 5-6 year old bike would hold that much value...i would have guessed in the 1000-1200 range..but what do I know. Its probably because this particular bike hasn't been affected by the 29er or 650b craze. Either way that's a solid frame and fork...hopefully you can negotiate a fair price.

mtbr member
    no more than 1200, people always highball. No one wants to accept that bikes depreciate very quickly. Put it in perspective, that bike is nearly 7 years old, imagine how much it has been ridden in that time, and by how many people.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Like people have said the bike is 6 years old and the Nomad is all mountain shredder and light freeride bike, so there is a good chance that the bike has been ridden hard!!! I would ask about the pivots and bearings in the frame, see if they have ever been replaced. Ask if ther is any play in the rear triangle? I would also ask the year of the fork and when it was last serviced? How old are the components, are the wheels true and dent free? and lastly take the bike for a ride if possible. And just be prepared to possibly be upgrading and changing out parts.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    no more than 1200,
    And $1200 shipped is kind of lowball. The bike looks clean and the guy appears to know his way around bikes. That's probably not his only ride -- maybe it was built up and he found it to be too much bike or maybe he found something he liked better. It's all speculation until you put your hands on it.

For the OP, ask questions about pivots, bearings, fork service history, brake service...any part that has to be maintained. Without knowing more about the bike, $1500 shipped would seem fair. Keep in mind, shipping(+paypal fees) is going to take a good chunk of the sellers money.