mtbr member
    May 2008

How is the Mongoose Canaan Elite not the Best Bike under $2000??!!!

Just happened to be browsing the websites starting to consider a full suspension bike under $2000 when I found this.....

Frame: FreeDrive XC/Enduro 3.9" (100 mm) travel, butted alloy frame
    Fork: Rock Shox Recon Race, 100 mm travel, air spring, Motion Control, and rebound adjust
    Rear Shock: Fox RP2, two position ProPedal, air spring rebound adjust, (6.5x1.5")
    Crankset: Shimano XT, hollow forged 2pc, 22/32/44T alloy
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano external bearing
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty clipless
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT shadow
    Shifters: Shimano Deore XT Rapidfire dual release
    Freewheel: Shimano XT 11-32 9 speed
    Chain: Shimano HG-73
    Rims: WTB SpeedDisc XC 32
    Tires: Kenda 26x2.1 Small Block Eight, DTC, folding bead
    Front Hub: Shimano XT Centerlock disc, 32
    Rear Hub: Shimano XT Centerlock disc, 8/9 speed cassette, 32
    Spokes: DT Swiss 14/15 ga black
    Nipples: Brass UCP
    Front Brake: Shimano XT, hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotor
    Rear Brake: Shimano XT, hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotor
    Brake Levers: Shimano XT, hydraulic disc
    Handlebar: Easton EA50 Lo Rise, 31.8 mm
    Stem: Easton EA50 6* angle
    Grips: Mongoose No-Flange M-logo Lock On grip
    Headset: FSA IS-2 integrated
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Race
    Seat Post: Easton EA50 double bolt, 31.6 mm
    Seat Clamp: CNC Alloy w/bolt

MSRP: $1,999

FREAKING AMAZING!!!

http://www.mongoose.com/mtn/ProductDetails.html?id=2617&enc=mtn|6

mtbr member
    Yep.. I got my friend on the Mongoose Otero. BEST BIKE UNDER $1000! Without a doubt. Makes sense that Mongoose would make a best under $2000 also. The Otero is $900 at a LBS. The owner didn't take down a deposit for the order on the LG, "can't keep enough of them around" were his words.

squish is good
    First of all, not AM.

But yeah, Mongoose offers crazy bang for buck, check out a Khyber. Those are suhweeet!
    Bike good, work bad.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yep. It rides nice too. Same suspension concept as the I-drive, which makes sense since GT and Mongoose are owned by the same parent company. Don't take my word for it though...all the latest (higher end) mongooses have gotten good reviews.

It's definately an XC bike though. The Teocali series are really nice if you're looking for something with a hair more travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Now $1620 at Performance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's a great deal!It's a shame that the Mongoose name is stigmatized because of the Dept. store crap that gets slapped with the Mongoose label because their high-end bikes are nice and have been very well received.

I just bought an Mongoose Canaan Team frame and can't wait to build it up.For $500 I got the frame,Fox RP23 shock,FSA IS2 headset and seat collar so not too shabby.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    It's a great deal!It's a shame that the Mongoose name is stigmatized because of the Dept. store crap that gets slapped with the Mongoose label because their high-end bikes are nice and have been very well received.
    The reality is that Mongoose has two distinct lines of manufacturing/sourcing, and two distinct lines of distribution/sales, both split along the department store/mass merchant vs. LBS/IBD lines.

One can't deny that the bike biz thrives on the bling factor - it's all there is to talk about after riding itself - but once you get beyond the the marketing-psychological factor, the extra money is yours to save and the value to bask in. In fact, I'd rather keep with company who knows and would certainly appreciate this about Mongoose, than with those who would merely see the "M"-word on the downtube and sniff out of conceited multi-layered ignorance. Really, when you're talking about their LBS/IBD-line of bikes, who are the true winners and who are the "losers" for buying/not buying a Mongoose?

In a perfect world, Mongoose would have created a different brand line for the down-market line to distinguish it from core-central Mongoose. Perhaps "Weasel" would have been a starting point for names. I sure know that a lot of IBD's called them that (and much worse) in the mid-90's when Mongoose began distribution to that end.
    Last edited by Bends But Doesn't Break; 07-28-2008 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll chime in that I would not consider that model AM, but that many of their models should be considered. If you're looking at an AM-type check out the Teocali.

Pacific and their employees have been good as far as their helping our trail building efforts (in their back yard) and we occasionally ride with them and their sponsored riders to see they're making sincere efforts to sell good bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    I'll chime in that I would not consider that model AM, but that many of their models should be considered. If you're looking at an AM-type check out the Teocali.
    Definitely not AM, indeed, but the most apt description I've seen is "XC race-oriented full-suspension," with emphasis on XC. You are spot-on with the recommendation of the Teocali line for AM.

FWIW, Outdoor magazine in the 2008 Gear Guide that is currently on newsstands just listed the Canaan Elite again as a "killer value" (alongside the Ibis that's pushing $5K that made it their Top Pick - so go buy one today, no, at that price , go buy three).

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    Pacific and their employees have been good as far as their helping our trail building efforts (in their back yard) and we occasionally ride with them and their sponsored riders to see they're making sincere efforts to sell good bikes.
    Without argument, Pacific itself is down-market, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, the diametric end of the business that's in the exosphere is actually more beholden to volume-drivers like Pacific for their own survival than they'll ever admit. The volume in raw material consumption, manufacturing, and distribution that Pacific and the likes of Pacific drive provide the industry efficiencies that enable product at the high end to become feasible to produce at all, and at prices that are tenable, relatively speaking, to the cycling enthusiast.
    Last edited by Bends But Doesn't Break; 07-28-2008 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've many hundred miles on my 2008 Mongoose Teocali Super. I could not be happier with it. Full XT, RP23, Etc. for $1800 out the door. It is a killer value and a very well made bike!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    All for getting the Teocali Super lads but apparently Mongoose doesn't make their AM line in XL. What gives with that?

I would be far to cramped on the L based on their geometry and me being 6'6''. This truly is a world made for short people!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobberz18
    All for getting the Teocali Super lads but apparently Mongoose doesn't make their AM line in XL. What gives with that?

I would be far to cramped on the L based on their geometry and me being 6'6''. This truly is a world made for short people!!

Big guy aren't you?

The only suggestions I could make is to get the longest stem possible,a setback seat post and setting your saddle as far back as possible.I don't know why they don't have anything larger then a 20",some brands have 21 or 22 inch frames.

mtbr member
    I have a 2006 Mongoose Teocali comp and sometimes I find peoples Ignorant brand snobery is some times quite humorous. I recently brought my bike to a shop to see what it would cost to tune it up and mabee replace the brakes as I am heading out to the Mohave County AZ area in a month and before the mechanic even saw the bike he told once my bike was a Kmart Piece of @#$% and then he proceeded to try and convince me to buy $1300 Trek that wasn't as good of a bike over all, well the rear shock was better.

Because Pacific sells the cheap department store bikes is the reason thier higher end bikes have that bang for the buck, they probably got some bartering power with the various parts manufacturers as they got a lot of money as probably about 80% or more of bikes are bought at department stores and such. Pacific owns quite a few brands and will probably will buy any worth while company that fails if the name is worth anything.

As of now some of there brands are:

Schwinn
    Mongoose
    GT
    Dyno
    Pacific
    Murry
    Roadmaster
    Eddie Bauer
    Power-Lite
    InStep

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivisect_VI
    I have a 2006 Mongoose Teocali comp and sometimes I find peoples Ignorant brand snobery is some times quite humorous. I recently brought my bike to a shop to see what it would cost to tune it up and mabee replace the brakes as I am heading out to the Mohave County AZ area in a month and before the mechanic even saw the bike he told once my bike was a Kmart Piece of @#$% and then he proceeded to try and convince me to buy $1300 Trek that wasn't as good of a bike over all, well the rear shock was better.

Because Pacific sells the cheap department store bikes is the reason thier higher end bikes have that bang for the buck, they probably got some bartering power with the various parts manufacturers as they got a lot of money as probably about 80% or more of bikes are bought at department stores and such. Pacific owns quite a few brands and will probably will buy any worth while company that fails if the name is worth anything.

As of now some of there brands are:

Schwinn
    Mongoose
    GT
    Dyno
    Pacific
    Murry
    Roadmaster
    Eddie Bauer
    Power-Lite
    InStep
    You can also add Cannondale the the list of brands Pacific/Dorel now owns.

I totally agree with you and if a mechanic did that to me I'd be upset and NEVER go near their shop again!

mtbr member
    Yea I left, the funniest part was he looked at me like I was retarded when i explained that it was from an acual bike shop not Kmart, though he proceeded to tell me it didnt matter and when a company sells that way that all there bikes end up being low quality .

My regular I use for riding in the nieghborhood to go to the store and such is a $200 dollar Mongoose Tactic I got on clearance for $150 that has been upgraded with parts from my older bikes and is a perfectally functional bike as are many cheaper bikes if they are not assembled by idiots (crank bearings were oiled not greased ) or gonna be used for any extreme use. The cheap bike is nessasary because I live in down town Chicago and the Teocali would be stolen real quik, though i have had a few fun offroad rides on it .

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobberz18

As much as I love the Teocali, I'd shop for another frame if you're 6'6". Putting on a longer stem and setting back the seat would change the geometry too much. That is a bummer though, I would think they could sell enough XL frames to warrant production.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    if a wrench ever told me that I would tell him straight up he was full of crap and I wasn't coming back to his shop. Bike shop peeps should be knowledgeable enough to distinguish between "nice" and "sh1t" - if they can't, then chances are they'll F**k up whatever I need from them.

Mongoose is killer value. There was a period that people talked crap about their bikes, but now days it seems like they've been accepted as both awesome and cheap (especially with great ambassadors like Eric Carter, ex world champ and still killing it on a bike!). You see hardcore guys on them from XC to DH - no longer is it a fringe group of people who look like random yahoo's shredding them and trying to explain to everybody that, no, they ARE actually nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    (mis-post)