unrooted

How many months To afford your bike?

How many months of saving did it take for you to afford your bike? How much was it?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I had to take a second job, to get my 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro sooner. In three months of waiting on tables...the $3500 bike was in my hands!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

EDR
    I worked overtime last year to pay the $~1100 for the opportunity to replace my fully warrantied broken '08 frame to a shiny new '12 frame w/shock. Some cost was for new headset, front der, and shop labor costs. Took about less than 5 days working min 10 hr days....while filing "exempt", lol. Now, if I could only make that money on a regular basis

unrooted
    I'm thinking its gonna be a good 6 months before I can buy a new bike, unless taxes are different than I'm expecting.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Sold everything I had on EBAY!

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I'm thinking its gonna be a good 6 months before I can buy a new bike, unless taxes are different than I'm expecting.
    Taxes could go either way, yikes! I sold every old bike part, and my GT Carbon Marathon, XTR level. Sold grips, bars, used tires, and anything that wasn't nailed down to buy new Turner 5 Spot last summer. Some items were new spares I bought cheap (9 speed stuff). A lot of items were $15-$35. Sell 10 of those, and it adds up. Never told wife about magic PAYPAL account. Secret money! Boo-ya!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Some over time and I can pay £2k for a bike in two months. Although my bike has taken since Nov 2011 to get where it is now with upgrades.
    But I think bike companies now have a duty to start reining in the silly prices for bikes and equipment. All the rubbish they come out with about wanting the world to cycle. But they want to charge you enough to buy half of africa for the privilege. I have spent £4k on my MTB and £2k on my road bike. That don't include clothing for both, lights, consumables and other equipment or future upgrades and replacement parts.

Fat-tired Roadie
    With the new Real Job, I set aside some money one pay period, when I was starting to think about a new bike, put the whole thing on a credit card and paid down about half of the balance the next pay period, and then finished paying it off the following pay period. So a month and a half, I guess. I could have done it faster but I wanted not to spend down my checking account as much, and I didn't leave a balance on my card long enough to pay interest, so no harm done.

I still had to take a deep breathe when I paid for the bike. Fourth most expensive thing I've ever bought.

I spent a lot less on previous bikes. One ended up taking a long time to pay for because I bought it right before losing my job. I also used to be fond of keeping the cost of a commute bike inside a day's pay.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

gravity fighter
    Are you trying to determine the average monthly disposable income of all mountain riders?

Merendon Junkie
    ".000001 months to save for my mountain bike®

Bill Gates

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm currently building a new bike and I've estimated that it will take me 4-6 months. Doesn't really matter since winter is coming. The bike should be ready for next spring, and I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Tough one. I got birthday cash to put $1000 seed money. Then saved 3mos to pick up enough to finish a build with a combo of used and new parts.

A year later I picked up new front wheel and fork.

Another year and I scratched enough cash for a new frame, all new maintenance pieces.

I sold some stuff on Craigslist to put together enough to buy parts to build a new rear wheel.

My steel hardtail probably cost me $2800 to put it together over the course of 3years. I doubt there would have been any way to just plunk down $3k for a bike build or a new bike. Nor could I have waited 3 years to ride what I did...
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    ".000001 months to save for my mountain bike®

Bill Gates
    lol you cracked me with this. Unfortunately not everyone is that rich. I had to wait 6 months before I finally saved $3k for my bike.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    It was $960 and it took a little over a year. But now with upgrades it cost a little over $1600.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Trail Ninja
    I just save up over time, and then splurge when I get enticed by good deals. Worked years before buying a nice bike, buying stuff when I find that I have more free time. With more free time recently, I ended up buying another new bike 2 years after that, and then another a new bike in a year. Cost went from $1200, to $2000, to $3800, to $4400, back down to $1200 (for just a frame) and buying higher end parts piece by piece throughout that time. Can't keep this pattern up due to running out of funds, so maybe in another few years a similar pattern will start-up again.

I blame my splurging pattern on extra free time and demo'ing super high end bikes, which spoiled me. My old bikes just didn't feel that great anymore once I was exposed to better, which I apparently thought were worth the price.

mtbr member
    I save up for everything ahead of time. So, buy a bike, start saving for the next one.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The real question is how long did it take for your wife to find out how much you spent on your shiney new ride.

Luckily I just sold a car to recoup the cost. I have lots of hobbies. The amount of investment just shifts between them.

Chubby Chaser
    I didn't want to drop $3000 all at once so I bought a frame and planned on building it one expensive piece per month. Well.... that didn't happen. I ended up finishing the build in less than a month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My KHS I got for $20 and another bike so no saving was involved.
    My Mongoose Beast was just under $200 and I got the money from bike flips and selling a moped I paid $50 for. For me bikes are a self supporting hobby. I buy them cheap (Normally from the local scrapyard), fix them up, and sell them for profit.

fan of maple syrup
    Get a shiney new credit card with zero annual fee, buy bike, get another shiney new credit card offering 6 months zero percent on balance transfers and zero annual fee, transfer balance, close first card, pay off bike in less than 6 months, close second card.

I think it cost me about 39 bucks in interest on the first card. And zero months waiting time.

(Note: this is very poor financial advice, unless it works, which it did for me precisely once)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Closing a credit card account is not smart if you like having a good credit score. Other than that, the above advice works if you have self discipline, which the average American doesn't seem to have when dealing with anything financial.

perpetual pucker factor
    took me about 2 years, plus a good chunk of a tax return check. Total cost was around $7500, but it was worth every penny saved and day waiting.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got a refund check for $1700 from my university for a post grad program that went sour, at that time I decided to replace my 8 or 9 year old Raleigh M80 with a 2012 Stumpy. I paid about $1850 so it worked out well.