mtbr member

How long do computers usually last on your bars?

So I picked up a cycle computer today, a Filzer dB4l if anyone wants to know. Once it was mounted up I noticed ho it just kinda sits there up on the bar.......wanting to get torn off. I have a feeling its not going to last long. All I really want it for is to record my trip distance as I train for some late summer/early fall epics.

-mike-

Vita brevis
    Mine usually last about a year no matter how expensive or cheap they are.

neutiquam erro
    Clearly, you require an "All-Mountain" computer. Nothing less will do.

Cheers, Chris

EDIT: OK then, all joking aside, it should be fine as long as it's secured well. It's just a little bike computer, not like a GPS unit or something, right? I don't use them anymore, but when I did in the past, I never had a problem with them staying put.
    Last edited by Chris130; 07-22-2007 at 07:38 PM.
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Clearly, you require an "All-Mountain" computer. Nothing less will do.

Cheers, Chris

ya ya ya, thanks for bumping your post count.

the goose is loose!
    mine lasted about a year. it's the sun that did mine in. it survived numerous crashes, but where i had it wasn't too vulnerable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ...until the battery wears out then I always assume it is broke and throw it away only to buy a new one realizing that the old one most likely was just suffering from a worn battery...cycle repeats...dumbass...d'oh!

squish is good
    I paid $50 for a fancy Specialized computer and promptly destroyed it on the first ride when it fell off on the descent and crushed it between my rear wheel and a rock.

Went to Fred Meyer and bought a $10 Bell cheap-o computer and it's lasted 2 seasons and too many gnarly crashes to remember.

Go figure, I'm all about the cheap stuff when it comes to riding computers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I paid $50 for a fancy Specialized computer and promptly destroyed it on the first ride when it fell off on the descent and crushed it between my rear wheel and a rock.

Went to Fred Meyer and bought a $10 Bell cheap-o computer and it's lasted 2 seasons and too many gnarly crashes to remember.

Go figure, I'm all about the cheap stuff when it comes to riding computers.

Amen. I've had a cyclometer for five years (no joke) that cost 20 dollars and the only maintanence I do on it is I replaced the batteries once.
    Riding and loving it

mtbr member
    I not concerned about it wearing out, I more concerned about losing the unit off the handle bar when I bite it. I do AM riding on the freeride side of things and can definitely see it getting destroyed pretty quick.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a fixler DB4W with cadence, had it for 2.5 years, desplay died, cause of the sun.

You twist the mount so that it sits behind the bars over top of the stem, almost sitting on the stem. No way it can get torn off, unless the bars go too.

My rise is enough that up side down on the bars the display dosn't touch the ground.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I've never had an issue with breaking computers. But my battery died and I am seriously considering taking it off. Think I'd rather just buy a GPS unit that does all of the same stuff and plots my course and carry it in the camel back. I only ever look at the computer after the ride anyway. Gps is gonna be more accurate too.

I already rode that
    Till the batteries die out but then replacing them just extends the life of it. Only if I take it off my bike and forget it somewhere then I replace it which I havent done in quite a few years now.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Scuffed
    I have a Topeak Comp150 which I've used for 2 years now and 3000kms. I'm the master crasher. It has a great bracket which I have positioned so it lays flat on top of the stem. Have never had any issues there and it's out of the way. Have replaced the battery's in the wheel sender unit only once.
    [SIZE=4]NO REIGN NO GAIN
    ......MMmmmm
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I lost my $20 Schwinn computer somewhere on the trails last weekend........I had it about 6 weeks

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jetta_mike
    So I picked up a cycle computer today, a Filzer dB4l if anyone wants to know. Once it was mounted up I noticed ho it just kinda sits there up on the bar.......wanting to get torn off. I have a feeling its not going to last long. All I really want it for is to record my trip distance as I train for some late summer/early fall epics.

-mike-
    I put a computer on my all mountain bike a few years ago, on one of the 1st rides I went over the bars, and then no more computer.

I've been thinking of putting one on my DH bike though, maybe that will give me a better time that those fudgeheads at RedRocks Timing Company....
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.