mtbr member
    Apr 2009

How is heckler vs gt idrive vs mongoose freedrive?

Has anyone ridden the above bikes as well as the heckler? I just had to service my links and wasn't that fun. Thinking of going simpler. The freedrive doesn't have lockout so feels spongy and soft I stiffen it with air, and the gt is a bit stiffer and not as soft and I occassionally have to look down when I'm on long pavement rides because it feels like I have a flat tire but I dont, they're both ok, the freedrive I can feel it working on the bumps, the gt not so much, it works on the bumps though but I think it's more subtle. How do they compare to heckler if anyone has ridden both. BTW, I can't test ride from where I am right now. Thanks for your help.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have completely different experiences with I drive and mongoose. Makes me wonder how your bikes are set up and what condition they are in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I like them and ride the heck out of them, hence I just re-did the links. But I wouldn't mind adding a heckler to the rotation if it's decent like the others and can get input on how it rides. I notice, the more I ride, the stiffer I like setting the shocks.

I'm with stupid
    I thought the I drive was the best all around for suspension, its just heavier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I thought the I drive was the best all around for suspension, its just heavier.
    Is Idrive the best? I don't know as I've only ridden the two bikes above. I do like both bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mike007 View Post
    Is Idrive the best? I don't know as I've only ridden the two bikes above. I do like both bikes.
    I think it depends on which I drive you have. I have the original design I drive (2000 xcr2000) and I think it is nice. It is heavy of course, but I weigh 290 pounds too though. I have not ridden the redesigned I drives though. I have read the Santa Cruz superlight is nicer feeling than the later I drive design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    bump