MC MasterShake

How hard are you riding your PIKE? How much abuse do you think it can take?

I have 150mm PIKE on my Knolly Endorphin and I'm starting to push it a little bit to see how much it can take. I haven't take it on the lifts yet but I'm getting tempted to. I have a brand new Float36 that I was going to replace it with but I really like how the damper rides and saving 3/4 of pound is really nice too.

What's been your experience with the tuning tokens and what is your weight? I'm 155 lbs and I found that it rode nicely with no tokens but if it would dive on the harder hits. I'm running 1 token now and it feels pretty good.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    I'm 150-155lbs geared up and am still messing around with the settings on my new 150mm 27.5 Pike for my Bronson. Initially I found that with no tokens the fork rides super plush but will bottom out. Increasing air pressure helps a little but not enough. Adding one token let me run lower pressures and didn't bottom out. I tried adding the second token and absolutely hated it. Ramped up way too fast and felt jarring on rough sections of trail even when running lots of sag. I probably don't weigh enough to make use of a more progressive spring rate. I've been running minimum compression damping so far.

Temps have dropped recently and it feels like I'm riding with more compression damping than when it was warmer. Hopefully I'll get a few more days to mess with it before the cold really sets in.

For now I've removed both tokens again and am going to start over with the tuning. When I got the fork I thought it only had 5 clicks of rebound adjustment. I felt a lot of resistance on the adjuster knob and was a little chicken to force it until I read threads of people recommending more than 5 clicks of rebound damping.

I'm really impressed by how easy it is to mess with the settings. I think its pretty neat that I really could bring a spanner, pump, and token and make those changes on the trail if I wanted to. When I rode street motos suspension settings was one of the things I loved experimenting with.

Next ride I'll start with no tokens, 25% sag, 3 clicks compression, middle rebound and go from there.

I just ordered Cane Creek DB Air CS so I'll have a lot of fiddling around in my future!
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    I was wondering the same thing until I saw this regarding Stevie Smith's World Cup race bike!:
    "Word is that Stevie was actually prepared to race with a 650B-compatible Pike on the front of the bike as it wasn't clear if the new 650B BoXXer lowers would be manufactured and delivered in time for the event, but sometimes the seas can be parted and the mountains moved when you're a BlackBox racer who many feel is a strong candidate for a top placing. Stevie did tell us that would have been comfortable using a Pike if it came down to it, though, and there will surely be other racers who make the call to go with a single crown fork. "

Obviously it would have different internals but the chassis is the same so no worries whatsoever!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Took it DHing 4 or so times, including one DH race and several enduros. I'm happy with it, no issues. Does fine on big drops and jumps. I increase the compression damping so it won't dive excessively during g-outs and drops/jumps.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mountain biker
    I'm pretty much 220lbs now. I run my 26" 160 Pike they way it came (I think it has one token) on my Mojo HD. I find the harder I ride it the better it performs. In fact, it really comes into its own when speeds increase and the hits are hard. It's unbelievable the amount of control I have with it in high-speed chundery descents.

I've only ridden it twice for lift served riding, over the course of a weekend at an Enduro race at Killington, Vermont. It held up fine on their rough trails, amazing even.

However, I did just blow it up and it's in for warranty right now, not too sure what happened. I was night riding on a particularly rough trail, and hit a high-speed root-kicker that you normally have to squash in order to not land on a up-sloping transition. I hit the kicker awkwardly and dead-sailored, landed rear wheel first and slammed the front end down as the ground started rising again. I must have hit a rock or root or something at the same time, but it bottomed out hard. when I got to the bottom of the DH section I noticed I had no rebound damping left, and moving the 3-position compression adjustment did nothing, and I had a front flat. It was a hard hit. I'll update when I get it back and see what they say...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Might want more tokens!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Might want more tokens!
    Or moar shimz!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Might want more tokens!
    you may be right. but the rest of the time I'd been riding the fork I was very happy with how it performed. Stayed high in it's travel yet still got full travel when needed and i never felt it bottom out (except that one time). I guess I'm weary of making it too progressive. I'll probably try it next year.

Adding more LSC in this case isn't the solution, it would just make the fork harsh on small bumps and chatter, and do nothing for big, high-speed hits.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I know RS's goal with the Pike was to build a fork with Revelation weight combined with Lyrik stiffness. The Lyrik is a proven AM fork with a good track record and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of similarities between the Lyrik and Pike 35mm chassis. The air spring is very similar to the Revelation solo air setup but with larger/longer stanchions in mind and the addition of the token system, I don't see any issues there. The only unknown is how durable the Charger damper is, and it seems there have already been a few failures, but they don't seem to be widespread.