Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

how far do you ride your AM bike?

What's the longest ride you've taken your AM machine on? The more I ride my Enduro, the more I'm impressed with how well it pedals and climbs. The weight is definitely noticeable, but I'm not in as good a shape as I would like, so in one way, the extra weight is good. It really helps me focus on how I pedal.

I was out on a local trail the other day and a group came up behind me and there was a guy on a Nomad having no problems keeping up with his buddy on a Yeti AS-R. I'm sure on the downhills he's smokin him! Just curious how you ride your ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Usually do about 15 to 20 miles at a time when I am out on the local single tracks in my area. Trail rides on tar I usually do about 25-35 miles depending on which way I head.

mtbr member
    What do you ride?

mtbr member
    I have a Heckler and an S-works enduro - I ride them 15-20 miles each time.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Titus Quasimoto marz 66 fork, 8" avid discs, just over 2000 miles on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    From my home deep in the bowels of Kitsilano over town to and over the 2nd Narrows bridge up Mtn. Hwy to and up the service road to the top of Mt. Fromme.
    Beer. Burger. On the deck.
    Down the front side ski run thence onto "Lost Airman" trail down down down to Baden-Powell then east in the waning light to junction w/top of aforementioned Mtn. Hwy then down and over 2nd Narrows bridge again across town to home.

40miles +/- riding a stock 18.5" Ritchey Equipe.

I was so much older then, when I was young.

R12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    On shorter solo rides I'll normally do 10-15 miles; on longer stints or group rides around 30 miles. Will depend on weather and family schedule. I ride a Kona Dawg.

Ride and Smile

xc no more

Generally, the xc folks who climb faster are the race crowd. So keeping up or passing most of the folks on xc bikes on the climbs is standard.
    In technical climbing the AM bikes climb better and faster (at least i'm faster). I only have one bike and ride it 1 to 6 hours at a shot.
    I really see no use for any other kind of bike unless it were a dh rig

banned
    Ride slow and climb for hours. Reward at the end of the day, then make it home in time for dinner.

link

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    What do you ride?

'08 Iron Horse MkIII

Riiiiiide...
    I ride a 6x6 for day rides. Up to over 1000m altitude all day rides. The bike is built up @ 38lbs with downhill tires and a generally robust build.. great fun. Took a little while to get used to, but not having to worry about railing it makes it all the worth while. Just put on a new fork and front wheel.. should have pics up soon!!

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    The more I ride my Enduro, the more I'm impressed with how well it pedals and climbs.
    Im pretty sure that you're actually impressed with how your strength and technique has improved!
    Thats good stuff.. just keep that rythym and dont let your fitness level go down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    short ride is usually around 10miles normal 20-25miles longest ride 60miles,

Heckler 34lb, or SL 25lb ride both the same places and distances, thinking of selling the SL, as I ride nearly as quick on my Heckler .

I'd say a typical ride is somewhere around 15-25 miles with 2-3000' of climbing depending on where it is and what the terrain is like. Longest ones I tend to do are 40-50 miles with 4-6000 ft of climbing; think the absolute longest was a bit over 60 miles and around 6000 ft of climbing. On a Heckler or Nomad.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Not really a question of how far but how fast. 4x4 xc bike was 25 lbs, 6x6 trail bike is 28 lbs had to drop down one gear in my pedal stroke, 7x7 AM bike is 34 lbs and have to drop down another 2 gears. There is no hill the 7x7 can't do that the 4x4 did, only does it slower.

mtbr member
    My Pitch Pro climbs aswum........i keep a little in reserve for the descent.....common sense!

average 15 - 20miles
    Last edited by G4VNJ; 02-09-2009 at 01:33 AM.
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Foes FXR - 46 miles - 7800ft climbing. Crazy epic loop we made up 12 years ago. Typically 15-20 miles and 2-4000 ft of climbing.

mtbr member
    All over mountain.

mtbr member
    between 40-50km.
    longest continuous climb: 16km (imagine the descent!)
    as for the total mile count, I don't really care, I just know I've ridde nthe hell out of it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    longest was 73 miles in an 8 hour race. the norm is 20, but once every 2 months or so i will crank out a 45 or so mile day with close to 10k climbing. all on a 33 lb nomad with a 36T single ring. all about going slow and pinning the DH
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Longest was ~89 miles - on my old Diamond back XTS. 9 Hours, and maybe 3,000 feet of climbing. Did that one twice. Would do it again too, but that was almost 3 years ago.

Nowadays, most rides are 15-25 miles, with maybe 1200 - 2000 ft of climbing. Ride a Giant Reign, not set up very light either. But I don't limit my riding/trail selection based upon the bike really, I'll ride it anywhere...

Hitek79, what's your longest ride? No fair just asking for others'...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Its got what plants crave
    I dunno, 20 miles maybe? Recently my "AM" Coiler has become a little too freeridey to want to ride long distances. I prefer pointing it downhill these days, and riding my XC bike anywhere that doesn't have aggressive terrain to ride.

mtbr member
    On my AM bike, my longest ride up and down is maybe 10 miles. That's why I was curious. I was out on a 20 mile loop on my XC bike and saw plenty of guys riding big bikes. I wasn't asking to brag, and I asking looking for inspiration!

mtbr member
    10 miles? wow dude, you need to do longer rides!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast