Aussie Rider
    Aug 2005

How does the Scott Genius MC-30 rate?

How does the Scott Genius MC-30 rate as a All MTB?
    Reliabilty with non replaceable rear dropout, linkage points etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I guess it depends on what you count as all mountain, but I won't go there if I were you. MC 30 is definetly a lightweight XC rig.

I bought an MC50 in Austraila, then moved over to the French alps, which is definately more 'All Mountain'- I built it up with some Marzocchi All-Mountains which helped, but the back end always felt a bit too lightweight and fragile for the terrain.

I also bent the hanger and a bike shop in Adelaide did a dodgy straightening job which totally buggered it up, requiring a totally new rear swingarm to be needed, which had to be sent over from Switzerland (taking 5 weeks!)- this was prior to me moving to France. I also had a few issues with the bearings and stuff which were difficult to source as the are scott-specific.

I now have a giant reign over here in the Alps, and it you just cannot compare, the reign is a perfect all-mountain rig which is just so solid and takes the hits so well.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the scott, but it is an XC rig, NOT an all-mountain bike. And yes, I had a problem with the non-replaceable mech hanger! But it depends on your style of riding and what you consider as All-mountain I guess

Dirt Displacer
    I agree with Shortarse; I looked at the Genius pretty hard while lived in Germany and was searching for a new MTB. However, though I gave the thing a thorough going-over, it didn't take long at all to peg the bike as a XC ride. Sure, it could be used as an AM bike, given the proper amount of finesse, but I wouldn't want to risk it.
    Also, there are a lot of Scott-specific bits that are only available through Scott dealers, and you'll pay a premium if said broken bits aren't covered under warranty. Replaceable derailleur hangers are a touchy point, especially with carbon frames. I've known bike gurus and builders that have sworn off replacables and favor just replacing the entire rear triangle.
    But.... The Genius is awesome as an XC bike.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]