mtbr member
    Jun 2006

how do YOU clean your bike?

just wondering how you guys clean your bikes. and why disc brakes sometimes make a whole bunch of nasty noises?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I hang my rig on my park stand and gently soak the bike with low pressure water from the hose. I use a soft bristle brush, dip it in soapy water and clean the dirt off of the frame (with the wheels off). I then replace the rear wheel after scrubbing the cassette with a hard bristle brush and clean the derailers, chain rings and chain (park chain cleaner). I use degreaser when needed being cautious about not getting it all over the bike. I don't spend too much time cleaning the frame as it will cake up with mud really fast here in the northeast. I concentrate on keeping the drivetrain as clean as possible without using degreaser too often, but it is hard not to with all the rain we get here.

Regarding disc brake noises, there can be many causes - warped rotors, misalignment, brake pad adjustments, frame flex, etc.

Hi!!!
    Is cleaning an All Mountain bike different than a XC hardtail bike?

This is my preferred method....
    1) Clamp bike onto repair stand.
    2) Degrease and clean chain, cassette, chainrings.
    3) Light spray over the entire bike making damn sure I don't use direct pressure on the bottom bracket, headset, fork.
    4) Bucket of suds and a sponge and give her a good cleaning.
    5) Spray off the bike.
    6) Dry it off with shop towels.
    7) Lube up chain, pedals, etc.

Yeah something like that.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

wait a minute....

from the back of my truck

i let the rain clean it

Slowest Rider

Ride through streams

I only wash my bike maybe 4 times a year, only when it's really caked badly with mud. I just rinse it down really good with a low pressure hose. I'm not sure any more washing really helps. A lot of the mud flakes off on its own

I also go through lots of streams in my rides and it helps get the bike clean too.

I use White Lightning on the chain, and it keeps the chain perfectly clean just fine without washing or degreasing. Over 1.5 years and 1800 miles on it now and everything runs fine.

I also take the bike for a full maintenance every spring after all the winter mud and water: relub hubs and crank, change fork oil, retune everything, etc.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbutt20
    why disc brakes sometimes make a whole bunch of nasty noises?

its my understanding that if you get any petroleum based cleaner on the brake pads, it makes them squeal like a pig

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=BigLarry]I only wash my bike maybe 4 times a year, only when it's really caked badly with mud. I just rinse it down really good with a low pressure hose. I'm not sure any more washing really helps. A lot of the mud flakes off on its own
    QUOTE]

You clearly don't live in the UK then!!

Wash, dry and fully lube immediately after every wet ride (i.e all winter)
    Wipe and lube chain after every dry ride. Wipe dust off shock and fork tubes and lightly lube seals.
    Generally leave the brakes alone, just rinse any mud/grit off the discs. Otherwise let them self-clean (I take it you don't clean your car brakes after every drive?)
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

pronounced may-duh
    I use the hose and a toilet brush. No soap or degreaser but you can if you like. Then dry the chain and lube the chain with oil. My area rains alot and we have lots of mud so I clean it every 2-3 rides.

I use those plastic jugs used to water flower pots.. pedro's citrus cleaner for the drivetrain, those blue dishwashing sponges with the rough material on one side for the chain.

EDR
    I don't so much as 'wash' my bike as much as I 'dust and polish' my bike.
    Pledge does a nice job
    it's all geographically dependant of course.

mtbr member
    I really only clean my drivetrain. I spray it down with de-greaser, brush it with a stiff brush, hose it off, run the chain through a rag and re-lube. But I live in a dry area, so my bike is never really that dirty.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Today i rode through big deeep ass stream to clean my bike... shame i was still a few miles away from home and ended up getting it dirty again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Good job!

With a hose

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Oops

Sorry, I meant a horse

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

oops again

Did I say horse??? I meant "hoe(s)".
    \

Freeriding Feline

Wash

Hose, no pressure except on tires for mud, towel dry, Simple Green, lube up.
    Watch the pivots. VP Free gets pivots cleared out with pipe cleaner. Sometimes little rocks get caught in the lower set.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    I used to do the hose wash thing. Now, I only do that if it's *really* caked in greasy mud. Low pressure water, simple green, dry it well, lube everything, and spray on a little pedr0's bike lust.

Recently, I started doing this

http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/art...without-a-hose

and have had good results.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Is cleaning an All Mountain bike different than a XC hardtail bike?
    does checking for broken spokes count as cleaning?

baka baka!
    - wipe off excess dirt/dust on frame and cables with damp rag
    - wipe down fork seals and stanchions and shock
    - toothbrush to the pivots/bushing and derailleurs
    - scrub chainrings and cassette with a kitchen brush
    - degrease chain (maybe once in like 4 rides)

takes like 10-20 minutes

squish is good
    If its really muddy, and ONLY if its really muddy, I'll leave it on the rack, head to the you spray car wash, and soak the bike with the car from about 7 ft away so the spray is very gentle, being careful to watch out for the sensetive areas. My apartment complex doesn't have a hose available, so its pretty much the only option short of using a tub and hand washing it, and I'm lazy. If its just dusty, or only a little muddy, I just use a damp towel.

As for the brakes, I've been using automotive brake cleaner, again being careful not to hit the paint or sensetive bearings. It's worked great for me, but I don't hear about anybody else doing this. Is this is a no no?