mtbr member
    Dec 2017

How can bikes be manufactured so cheap?

I was curious and looked for the wholesale value of Walmart bikes, ones that typically range from $250-$200. And you can buy them from wholesale for around $50 per bike.

I wouldn't personally buy a bike that cheap especially if its a mountain bike. But I am curious if someone did and was a serious rider how long will that bike typically last until its junk?

I'm with stupid
    some pretty entertaining you tube videos on just this subject

Dirt Bound
    The cost to manufacture a widget is not truly the cost of a widget.

To answer your question you will need to get one of those BSO's and thrash it. When you recover, please report back.

I'm #87!
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisDoes View Post
    I was curious and looked for the wholesale value of Walmart bikes, ones that typically range from $250-$200. And you can buy them from wholesale for around $50 per bike.

I wouldn't personally buy a bike that cheap especially if its a mountain bike. But I am curious if someone did and was a serious rider how long will that bike typically last until its junk?
    It would start out Junk and get worse from there.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I've wondered the same. We're not talking about value. They're amazingly cheap even if they're complete junk. How do they obtain the material, form it into a complete bike (frame, bearings, wheels, tires, brakes, drivetrain...), and ship it around the world for such a low price? That's a lot of materiel and parts even if complete junk. I'm familiar with some of the details, but it still amazes me.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Couple of reasons:

1. Cheap materials. Many of these bikes use cheap, and heavy, hi-ten steal.
    2. Cheap labor. Need I say more?
    3. Geometry? Sizes? Nope. You get one size. Adult.
    4. Marketing? Brand ambassadors? Customer Service? Here at Kent KZR, Inc. we don't know what you're talking about.
    5. Spare frame parts? For what? Just but another one. NEXT!
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    While I'm not sure of the business part of the OPs question, I do know that one of those type bikes used correctly is a phenomenal value.

I bought my at the time 20yr old daughter a $150 Schwinn MTB from Amazon and it has been great for her. She is an occasional rider who rides light single track, dirt roads and beach boardwalks.

I loved the price as it was all the bike she needs, and she loves the bike because of its color....... seriously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I was 12 or 13 years old I saved up for a 91 Kona fire Mt. It was stolen within 4 months at the mall.

Didn't have much cash saved up for a.replacement and bought a Murray. I had worries that it wouldn't hold up well. Within 2 weeks of riding my normal bumpy downhill logging roads I had flatted both tires and severely bent both rims. Braking was downright dangerous and shifting was laughable.
    I returned it for a refund with the knowledge that it was better to wait and save than waste good money on garbage. I learned my lesson young and it still holds true today.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisDoes View Post

Actually, that cheap bike - the frame will outlast most other expensive bikes you buy. The costs are low as most are made in China, where labor costs are extremely low. I know a guy who has a company that makes large metal shipping containers. These sell for over 120,000 euros. They are made for less than 1,000 in china.

But somehow this is working for China as the wealth there is amazing. I think the bridge between the mainland and Hong Kong is one of the most impressive things I have ever witnessed.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.