Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

How big is the Timberwolf 2.3?

How big is the Timberwolf 2.3? I'm looking for a new front tire for my "AM" rig, and I want something about as big as a Nevegal or Blue Groove 2.35. I've read that the 2.5 is massive for a 2.5, just wondering if the same is true of the 2.3.

Thanks.

mbtr member
    2.3 timberwolves came as the stock tires on my marin. the front one rubbed a little bit on the inside of my RS tora, but not enough to worry about. it's beefcake. I like it a lot for a front, but it wasn't the greatest rear tire- breakaway was kinda abrupt. I'm saving the back one to move to the front when i need it.

Its a real slow roller too
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I am using them and they fairly weak sidewalls. Not weak in that they tear easily, but weak in that they allow for more frequent pinch flats than other tires I have used. All in all though, they have been a fairly good tire with decent grip.

Unshaven Yak
    I ran 2.5 T-wolves for about a year and they are huge. A friend of mine runs the 2.3 on the front of his trailbike and it seems to be quite a bit larger than your standard Kenda or Maxxis 2.3 size. I think the casing might be the same size, but the mega-knobs on the t-wolf make it appear more like a 2.5. The 2.5's were a close thing and did occassionally rub the inside of my arch on an '04 Zoke Z-1, but the 2.3's seem to fit just fine with no rubbing issues. I also agree that they are much better on the front than the back.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Not sure what your style or terrain is like but you might be able to find a better AM ft tire. I live on the rocky, rooty, mid east. I run those tires on my FR bike and love them. I have another pair in the wings waiting, they're great. But I did try them on my AM and felt that they were a bit slow, accellerating and steering, the side walls are wimpy but with freeride tubes it helps. On my FR bike I run 28-30 psi and I am 230 w/armor. Check out some blue grooves for the ft or some panaracer rampages. Those tires are like velcro to the trail though! If you will load them properly and trust them they'll hold the line. Just be careful on the street, they'll slide out in a heartbeat!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    Not sure what your style or terrain is like but you might be able to find a better AM ft tire. I live on the rocky, rooty, mid east. I run those tires on my FR bike and love them. I have another pair in the wings waiting, they're great. But I did try them on my AM and felt that they were a bit slow, accellerating and steering, the side walls are wimpy but with freeride tubes it helps. On my FR bike I run 28-30 psi and I am 230 w/armor. Check out some blue grooves for the ft or some panaracer rampages. Those tires are like velcro to the trail though! If you will load them properly and trust them they'll hold the line. Just be careful on the street, they'll slide out in a heartbeat!
    Thanks for the reply. I have used a Blue Groove on the front and I now have a Rampage I am trying out for the front but I bought it for the rear. I liked the BG OK, but I generally like a more square profile, especially here on the East Coast, even if they squirm a little on the smooth clean hard pack (which I see little of). I've never worried too much about how slow a front tire is, just the grip. To give you an idea of the type of tire I like, my absolute favorite of all times was a Survival Pro 2.3. In my book nothing in that size (more like a 2.1) has ever come close. Actually,I don't know that any tire has been as good in the front, but the size was limiting. It was a tractor tire with very large, meaty, well spaced, and well supported knobs. Possibly the slowest rolling tire ever, but even for long xc rides it never bothered me on the front. In the back it felt like I was dragging another bike.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    I went back and re-read what I wrote and I was unclear at the end. The Timberwolves are like velcro, not the other tires. If all you want is some bite, then by all means, this is your tire! Long live the Timberwolves!

EastBaySteez
    my 2.5's are huge. People keep asking me if they are 3.0's (silly people..)

I love um.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think they are about 2.3 inches

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dazle
    I think they are about 2.3 inches
    Do you have a reason for saying this?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Timberwolf 2.5's are my favorite "Mammoth Mountain" front tire to date. They grip well in the loose pummice & sand, & have no fit problems in my Zoke all mountain 1. Pannaracer's 2.4 are a close 2nd., bout the same size, slightly lighter, but the rubber compound is a little harder & they don't grip as well on hardpack

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    How big is the Timberwolf 2.3? I'm looking for a new front tire for my "AM" rig, and I want something about as big as a Nevegal or Blue Groove 2.35. I've read that the 2.5 is massive for a 2.5, just wondering if the same is true of the 2.3.

Thanks.
    Well, I got my answer. I got a Timberwolf 2.3 mounted on my front wheel yesterday. I got out the calipers and compared it to the Panaracer Rampage 2.35 I have on the back (both mounted on the xm321 rims). The casing of the Timberwolf is about 3mm narrower than the Rampage, but the tread is about 1mm wider. I believe my old Nevegal measured up the same as the Rampage.

The knobs on this thing are HUGE, and I like the squarish profile. The Rampage looks like a round semi-knoby in comparison. I only have one short ride on it, but it involved a good mix of hardpack and lose conditions (some pretty steep). I really like the traction, and I don't notice the extra rolling resistance. It is a little squirmy on hardpack corners, but not bad for a tire with big-@ss side knobs. WAY better than the Specialized Enduro D2 2.4 it replaced in this respect, which was why I was getting rid of it. I do wish it had just a tad more volume as I got used to running the Enduro 2.4 at a lower pressure than I feel comfortable running a tire of this volume (the Enduro 2.4 was huge in volume, and the casing was very supple).

I think what is ultimately going to determine is this is the tire I have been looking for is if I can run it at a low enough pressure without flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Do you have a reason for saying this?
    Well, he is correct.

I would guess a 2.3 is larger than a 2.1 and smaller than a 2.5.

All kidding aside. The Timberwolf tires look much larger than the stated size. My 2.5 looked like a 2.8 to most people.

BTW, great tire when new!