undercover brother

Hope tech evo X2 vs. M4 vs. SLX Brakes

So I'm planning on upgrading my brakes and am leaning towards these three choices. I ride trail and some DH and these will be going on my TransAM. People who have used the hope techs, are the X2s powerful enough for moderate DH? or would the M4s be better? I've also read a lot of good reviews about the SLX brakes, and those can be had for much cheaper than the hopes. I went cheap a few months ago and got a set of Hayes Stroker Trails, and they're garbage (but you get what you pay for).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I recently installed M4's on one bike and shimano XT's (pretty much the same as the SLX's) on another.

It's hard to beat the shimano's when it comes to bang for the buck. They're relatively cheap and have lots of power. The biggest flaw is how abrupt they are. I would guess this is a side effect of the servo-wave cam mechanism. Most riders would get used to it but if you ride on really slick surfaces or have an fork setup that dives a lot it could be a deal breaker. I decided against buying another set for my snow bike for this reason.

The Hope M4's are really solid brakes. Good power (a bit less then the shimano's, IMO), excellent feel and modulation. Easy to work on and bleed. Plus they look great, unlike the shimano's. I see myself buying more Hope brakes in the future.

I've never used the X2's, so I can't comment on those.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member

Re: Hope tech evo X2 vs. M4 vs. SLX Brakes

The x2 is a solid brake, but I'm a 210lb rider and went with an m4 180mm front on my trail bike with an x2 160mm on the rear. I've had 4 sets of hopes over the last 10 years and loved all of them, but I think for anything other than pure xc the m4 is worth it in front. If weight is an issue, the evo race levers are much lighter than the tech levers. The calipers are the same. (I have m4 techs on my Nomad and m4/x2 races on my TRc.)

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    The x2 is a solid brake, but I'm a 210lb rider and went with an m4 180mm front on my trail bike with an x2 160mm on the rear. I've had 4 sets of hopes over the last 10 years and loved all of them, but I think for anything other than pure xc the m4 is worth it in front. If weight is an issue, the evo race levers are much lighter than the tech levers. The calipers are the same. (I have m4 techs on my Nomad and m4/x2 races on my TRc.)
    I'm not worried about weight really. I really want the M4s, its just hard to justify spending that cash! But, with all hope stuff, I think it will be worth it. And those frickin braided lines look so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I'm not worried about weight really. I really want the M4s, its just hard to justify spending that cash! But, with all hope stuff, I think it will be worth it. And those frickin braided lines look so good.
    Are you saying the cost between XT and Hopes?

The Hope models are fairly similar in cost to the other Hope models. They really are a first class product with first class customer service.

The calipers are the same on the Race vs the Tech. The only difference is the levers. The Techs have more adjustments and the Races are lighter (and I think cleaner when mounted on the bars). I've never opted for the braided lines on any of the 4 pairs of Hopes I've had, so I can't comment on those.

Can you link the specific models you're seeing? There is someone in the classifieds that always has all the Hope stuff for sale very cheaply.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    Are you saying the cost between XT and Hopes?

The Hope models are fairly similar in cost to the other Hope models. They really are a first class product with first class customer service.

The calipers are the same on the Race vs the Tech. The only difference is the levers. The Techs have more adjustments and the Races are lighter (and I think cleaner when mounted on the bars). I've never opted for the braided lines on any of the 4 pairs of Hopes I've had, so I can't comment on those.

Can you link the specific models you're seeing? There is someone in the classifieds that always has all the Hope stuff for sale very cheaply.
    Theres someone on PinkBike who is selling them in the classifieds. My post was a little misleading I think. I'm talking about the SLX vs the hopes. I found some reviews on the X2 (along with the suggestions on here) and I think I'm ruling those out just because I don't want them to be underpowered, much like the stroker trails I have now.

mtbr member
    Theres someone on PinkBike who is selling them in the classifieds. My post was a little misleading I think. I'm talking about the SLX vs the hopes. I found some reviews on the X2 (along with the suggestions on here) and I think I'm ruling those out just because I don't want them to be underpowered, much like the stroker trails I have now.
    the new shimano stuff gets great reviews including the slx brake. i run hopes on my bikes though as i find them easy to service and that they have decent power and excellent modulation. i run tech m4 and i have a set of the x2 on my wife's bike. i find the x2 lacking in power for me but i'm 220 geared up and was using 160mm rotors. hope has excellent customer service and their brakes are made at their own facility in the uk. i like that aspect as well.

Hope Technology Factory Tour - Video - Pinkbike

the guy has ok prices on pinkbike and i think wiggle in the uk does too and their shipping to na is free over a certain purchase cost level and quick too.

Wiggle | Hope Tech Evo M4 Disc Brake | Disc Brakes

MTB B'dos
    Andrew, I just made the EXACT same switch as you, had the Stroker Trails and for the same reason - CHEAP> Well I lik the lever and the design, but as you say, no power. I just got a set of the XT M785, with 180F/160R and honestly until then I thought I'd know what good, strong brakes were, but no comparison, none what so ever. Now I have the power I want, when I want it and as much as I want. Don't know about the either on or off, mine feel very good to me modulation wise - don't know if it's my sensitive touch, but no issues with getting just the right amount of power when I need it, no sudden ON or OFF moments, but they are quite sensative, which also leads to less hand fatigue.

As to Hope vs Shimanos, the Hopes definitely look better, but I too had a hard time dropping that sort of coin and then the XT's started showing up just over $100 a wheel and it was a no brainer for me. Paired mine up with an RT76-180mm rotor for the front and an old Avid XX 160mm on the rear. Also just got another M785 for the front of my other bike the Hayes had gone to and used back the 180mm Hayes rotor, no issue, loads of power.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewQ View Post
    I recently installed M4's on one bike and shimano XT's (pretty much the same as the SLX's) on another.

It's hard to beat the shimano's when it comes to bang for the buck. They're relatively cheap and have lots of power. The biggest flaw is how abrupt they are. I would guess this is a side effect of the servo-wave cam mechanism. Most riders would get used to it but if you ride on really slick surfaces or have an fork setup that dives a lot it could be a deal breaker. I decided against buying another set for my snow bike for this reason.

The Hope M4's are really solid brakes. Good power (a bit less then the shimano's, IMO), excellent feel and modulation. Easy to work on and bleed. Plus they look great, unlike the shimano's. I see myself buying more Hope brakes in the future.

I've never used the X2's, so I can't comment on those.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Andrew, I just made the EXACT same switch as you, had the Stroker Trails and for the same reason - CHEAP> Well I lik the lever and the design, but as you say, no power. I just got a set of the XT M785, with 180F/160R and honestly until then I thought I'd know what good, strong brakes were, but no comparison, none what so ever. Now I have the power I want, when I want it and as much as I want. Don't know about the either on or off, mine feel very good to me modulation wise - don't know if it's my sensitive touch, but no issues with getting just the right amount of power when I need it, no sudden ON or OFF moments, but they are quite sensative, which also leads to less hand fatigue.

As to Hope vs Shimanos, the Hopes definitely look better, but I too had a hard time dropping that sort of coin and then the XT's started showing up just over $100 a wheel and it was a no brainer for me. Paired mine up with an RT76-180mm rotor for the front and an old Avid XX 160mm on the rear. Also just got another M785 for the front of my other bike the Hayes had gone to and used back the 180mm Hayes rotor, no issue, loads of power.
    One of my other pet peeves with the strokers was the looseness of the levers, as they rattled constantly. I know the hopes are snug, how about the XT/SLX levers?

MTB B'dos
    Nope, no rattling and no noise. I prefer them over the SLX because of the Free Stroke adjustment they have ontop of the Lever Reach adjustment.

One of my other pet peeves with the strokers was the looseness of the levers, as they rattled constantly. I know the hopes are snug, how about the XT/SLX levers?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nope, no rattling and no noise. I prefer them over the SLX because of the Free Stroke adjustment they have ontop of the Lever Reach adjustment.
    Shimano Zent

Works for SLX too

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    An upside to Shimano brakes is that they are super easy to maintenance. Can't say the same about Hope'brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    An upside to Shimano brakes is that they are super easy to maintenance. Can't say the same about Hope'brakes.
    really?? what is hard on hopes? they are super easy to bleed, all you need is an 8mm wrench a torx screwdriver and some tubing for the fluid to drain through. pad changes are easy too.

mtbr member
    As to Hope vs Shimanos, the Hopes definitely look better, but I too had a hard time dropping that sort of coin and then the XT's started showing up just over $100 a wheel and it was a no brainer for me.
    Hope "Con": I like them so much I haven't bought other brakes in a while now.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    really?? what is hard on hopes? they are super easy to bleed, all you need is an 8mm wrench a torx screwdriver and some tubing for the fluid to drain through. pad changes are easy too.
    Then tell me why the Hope bleed kit cost twice as much as the Shimano kit?

mtbr member
    Then tell me why the Hope bleed kit cost twice as much as the Shimano kit?
    why would you need a bleed kit? it is an open system just like a car's. you need a piece of tubing and an empty coke bottle plus an 8mm wrench and a torx screw driver. uses dot fluid you can buy at any automotive store. the price if their bleed kit is hardly indicative of how easy they are to service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGQpS6fd3E

Workshop: Bleeding Hope Disc Brakes - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don't think the shimano's are different than the hope's in that regard. The shimano's are quick and easy to bleed with their bleed kit and the hope's are even easier to bleed without a kit (just bleed like a car/motorcycle).

One thing I really like about the hope's is that all the parts are available and reasonably priced. Every seal, every o-ring. Not so with shimano.

They're both good brakes, neither sucks. The shimano's are a tremendous value with great, one finger stopping power. They look really bland but that doesn't effect their performance. The hope's look great, modulate like they're wired directly to your brain, and have a quality feel that reminds me of good motorcycle brakes.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.