GOD SPEED # 58 RIP

Hope head doctor

Has anybody here tried hope head doctor instead a star nut?

Hope Head Doctor | eBay
    GOD SPEED # 58 YOU'LL BE MISSED

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I tried to use one with a rigid Surly Instigator fork without success. It kept sliding up the steer tube, I could not get enough tension in to it to pre-load the headset. It will ultimately depend on the inside diameter of the steer tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a few and they work great. I can only imagine that Saddle Up must have not installed his correctly if he had problems with it. If your fork fits a standard star nut it will fit a Head Doctor.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Hope head doctor

What is the benefit over regular star nuts?

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The benefit is that you don't have to use a regular star nut, which can be a pain to fit. Plus, when you switch forks, you just take the complete assembly out of the steerer and you put it in your new fork.

Also, the cap and cap bolt can be used with a star nut. But you can't use the nut or cap separately, they have to be used together.

I believe that you could use a regular bolt + cap on the head doctor steerer assembly.
    Last edited by krt; 02-08-2013 at 01:12 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use an Azonic Head Lock. Works awesome. These are designed for 1 1/8" forks so to use for a tapered fork I got a washer at the hardware store that fit perfectly over the bottom flange of the Headlock and fit the outer diameter of the bigger tapered steerer tube.

Hope head doctor-azonic-headlock-standard.jpg
    Last edited by skidad; 02-08-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Expander plugs such as the Hope Head Doctor are useful if you have a carbon steerer, as you can't use a traditional star nut.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had a Azonic Head Lock on a bike for a long time. Worked great and I really liked it. Would buy again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    I have a few and they work great. I can only imagine that Saddle Up must have not installed his correctly if he had problems with it. If your fork fits a standard star nut it will fit a Head Doctor.
    Wrong, dude don't imagine anything about me okay! When I mentioned it to the distributor, he was not surprised, it's not that uncommon.