Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holy S#$%

mtbr member

Holy S#$%

Hi this is a HOPE PRO 2 hub (front)and rode less then 10 times . Now got a crack on the mounting bracket !!!! JUESS CHRIST is this the UK quality ? I bought it from CHAINREACTIONCYCLES. Any comments ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif 1.gif (260.1 KB, 1103 views)

more carbon=more awesome

warranty

I broke the flange on my old hope hub after a number of years and it was repaired under warranty no questions asked. Send it back, and get a new one. I'll admit it is surprising, but what the hey, things happen.

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Did you use a torque wrench installing the rotor bolts?

mtbr member
    no i used my crank brother multi tool set . i mean the bolts are from shimano should be standard and this is after 2 months ride

mtbr member
    hi bshallard do you think dt swiss is better then hope ? i mean hub. thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The torque spec for my Avid disc rotors is 55 in lb which is less than 5 ft lb. This is less than most bolts on the bike that hold critical systems so if you tighten it to feel like any other bolt it may be way too tight. Best to use a torque wrench and some blue locktite when installing rotors.

Hey, sometimes things go bad. I had a DT 240 rear hub shell crack after several years; fwiw it was still replaced by DT even though out of warranty. Like someone said, stuff happens. Return it under warranty, altho that might cost you a bit since it's from overseas if I read your location correctly. I'm not sure you could crack that with overtightening with a multi tool in any case...but a multi tool is not a good tool for installing components with either.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

more carbon=more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by ppp2520
    Dunno. Never ridden DT. But my Hope is a great hub. I've only stopped using it to mount a set of Easton Havocs which I really like.

b.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

Off the back...
    **** happens. Hope are pretty good with their warranty service. Write them a polite e-mail with pics included, and they'll likely take care of the problem immediately.

mtbr member
    Wow, I am surprised to see that. From what I have seen, Hope hubs have a reputation of being pretty tough. I have a set of XC Pro hubs (the previous version) that has about 15,000 off-road miles and are still like new.

banned
    I have both, ProII, and DT 240s and one 340. Just call Hope and give them a chance to resolve it. No, this is not common, but it happens. These are really popular hubs, and there have been few complaints.

mtbr member
    That sucks dude..... sorry about your luck. Hope my new bike is better constructed.

the fat kid
    next time, torque wrench
    I ride faster than I should.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313
    next time, torque wrench
    You really don't need a torque wrench. Just don't reef on the thing, it's got 6 bolts, you don't need to crank on it. I prefer to use a torx head screwdriver to install those bolts, nearly impossible to over-torque and easy to install/remove quickly.
    Bike good, work bad.

wait...what?
    heluva crack...no, wait....here it comes....THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!

3 "fiddy" for short
    My guess is too much torque, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    First thing that came to my mind was too much torque.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

mtbr member
    I think 2 much torque will only strip the threads and the bolt is not cone-shaped

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think 2 much torque will only strip the threads and the bolt is not cone-shaped
    Well, too much torque CAN strip the threads, but that's hardly the only thing it can do. If you're over-torquing your discs, you're putting a set of forces into play that the hubs were not designed for. Sometimes you'll get lucky and nothing will happen. Other times, there will be failure. Hopefully they'll help you out with a warranty. Best of luck.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I would just use a bit more loctite on that particular bolt, torque it and keep riding. Or just leave it out, I have a wheelset that had a stripped brake rotor hole when I bought it several years ago. Five bolts do a more than adequate job.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I would just use a bit more loctite on that particular bolt, torque it and keep riding. Or just leave it out, I have a wheelset that had a stripped brake rotor hole when I bought it several years ago. Five bolts do a more than adequate job.
    I would agree, ride it with 5 bolts. Hell I know people who run their bikes with 3 and still don't have problems. Due to the potential high cost involved here with rebuilding the wheel and having to send it back to the UK for warranty, it's probably better to just leave it.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My guess: there was trash in the threads and the bolt was over-torqued. Its a pretty common way to cause that type of failure. My experience with hope has been great. Give their US technical department a call and see how they can help you out.

trail waggler

Just don't...

Brake so hard....

That sucks that it cracked, but, like Ventanaramamaramamaammaaa, said, just use 5 bolts, I doubt that you'd shear them off...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

mtbr member

Wouldn't go that far

I had a dt hub split flange to flange, which could have been from the wheel building machine overtorquing it, just like your Hope could have been from overtorquing the rotor bolts.

www.derbyrims.com
    Looks like over torque to me. Probably wouldn't be warranteed. Torque for rotor bolts is typically 50 to 55 in/lbs. That's so light that it would be easy to over torque when using a screwdriver handled torx tool. Use a light guage torque wrench and fresh blue Loc-tite anytime changing rotors. Uneven torque or missing bolt could cause brake howl. BUt try riding it with 5 bolts, it's not unsafe, hopefully it won't be noisy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast