Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hitch Racks, which do you have?

Ok, I am done transporting the mtb in the back of my car. I want to get a rack, but don't know which to get. I have seen that the Kuat NV 2 bike rack has a repair stand built in which I think would be nice, but has anyone purchased one of these?

You have any other recommendations?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the Thule T2 with the 2-bike extension. It's nice, but heavy as hell. My wife has a hard time lifting the rack up when it is empty. I would have gone the Kuat route, but I got a good deal on the T2.

Wait for me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Take a look at Raxter

I've got the Raxter Tarsus and I love it. It is small, easy to operate, and only weight 36 pounds. My wife has no problems taking it off my Tahoe. Whether I'm carrying my Jet 9 with either my daughters Gary Fisher (small bike), or my wife's Cannondale, I can adjust them side to side so at no time the bikes touch. The only negative I've heard from people is that it takes too long to put on and remove bikes. I don't agree with this. The 4 velcro straps take seconds to get on and off. It also folds up very easy and compact. I can still open my tailgate with the rack folded up.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by RoverGuy View Post
    Ok, I am done transporting the mtb in the back of my car. I want to get a rack, but don't know which to get. I have seen that the Kuat NV 2 bike rack has a repair stand built in which I think would be nice, but has anyone purchased one of these?

You have any other recommendations?
    The Kuat NV is the way to go if you are willing to pay for it.

SOLID, SOLID, SOLID. And probably the only rack on the market that gets compliments. Even non-bike people recognize that it is unusual. Approaching 20k miles on mine carrying XC and DH bikes and the only noticeable "wear" is some sun fading, but I live in the desert. The rack even survived a minor rear ending in the upright position. A decent scratch and a slight wiggle was the only damage. I emailed Kuat customer service for ADVICE and 3 days later I had a new pivot/hitch insert assembly. I just bolted the bike carrying portion to the new insert, fixed. I am almost never impressed with customer service, and I feel spoiled by Kuat.

Built in bike lock (lock/key included) and repair stand, both work slick. Upgradeable to carry 2 more bikes, pricey though.

One potential drawback, not all hitch racks are super friendly with all rear door designs. If you have a tailgate style or barn door style rear door they can be in the way. The Kuat works great on my Xterra, not so much on my buddy's older Suburban (barn doors). Likely the same with other companies racks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks all.
    I ended up purchasing the NV just now from Gnarly Gear - for the Mountain and Road bike enthusiasts. I did get 10% off which paid the shipping and a little more.

I'll let you know how it turns out

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ok get this. Today I get an email from Gnarly Gear and I was expecting bad news, but was surprized.
    They were/are running a promotion for free shipping and said that they were going to tack it onto my order. They told me it was on their facebook page.

Im happy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Got the Hollywood HR1400 rack at the beginning of summer and love it. Great value for 4 bikes and is rock solid. Heavy, but you can't beat the price from Upgrade Cycle. My buddy has the Kuat and it is great and very expensive, especially if you need room for 4 bikes.

I usually use it in the 2 bike format and occasionally will add the extension on. Great versatility.

mtbr member
    1UP USA Quik Rack

/thread

mtbr member
    Amazon.com: Kuat 2 Bike NV Rack: Sports & Outdoors

You can get it a little cheaper at Amazon W/ free shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a Swagman 4 bike carrier purchaced new localy for $330 and couldent be happier with it. Ive read some negitave comments here on it but it works great for me and cant beat the price.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for Kuat. I bought the NV on sale from coloradocyclist.com for $399 a couple months ago. It has everything in was looking for: built-in cable lock security, light yet sturdy design, trail dock for working on a bike, tilt adjustment so handlebar of inside bike clears the hatch on my Honda (on the rare chance I need to open it then the bikes are mounted), US manufactured, lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. Doesn't get better than this.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.155441,-79.167115

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    The Kuat NV is the way to go if you are willing to pay for it.

SOLID, SOLID, SOLID. And probably the only rack on the market that gets compliments. Even non-bike people recognize that it is unusual. Approaching 20k miles on mine carrying XC and DH bikes and the only noticeable "wear" is some sun fading, but I live in the desert. The rack even survived a minor rear ending in the upright position. A decent scratch and a slight wiggle was the only damage. I emailed Kuat customer service for ADVICE and 3 days later I had a new pivot/hitch insert assembly. I just bolted the bike carrying portion to the new insert, fixed. I am almost never impressed with customer service, and I feel spoiled by Kuat.

Built in bike lock (lock/key included) and repair stand, both work slick. Upgradeable to carry 2 more bikes, pricey though.

One potential drawback, not all hitch racks are super friendly with all rear door designs. If you have a tailgate style or barn door style rear door they can be in the way. The Kuat works great on my Xterra, not so much on my buddy's older Suburban (barn doors). Likely the same with other companies racks.
    +1 Had mine a bit more than a year, no issues at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Doesn't get better than this.
    Yes it does. See post #9.

mtbr member
    my buddy has the Thule Roadway 4-Bike Hitch Rack, thing is solid and works great. he got at REI for $200
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Im rockin the Thule doubletrack, it is very nice and i really like it. This summer it has been taking long trips with my DH and wife's AM bikes to Northstar every weekend. At $240 shipped it was a really smart buy and does the trick. The weight limit is a bit low but if your not putting 2 DH bikes you will be fine (although i have had it 5 or so lbs over the limit with no problem). Also like to suggest Cracksandracks.com, they went out of their way to get me hooked up and even did research for me to make sure i was taken care of.

mtbr member
    You will love the Kuat Nv. I bought one this year with the 2 bike extension. and it is solid and holds the bikes great, 90 mph up the high way and down some bumpy roads and nothing even moves. But any of the name brand racks will do a good job also.

what the quan?!
    Just installed a Thule T2 916xtr on my ride. Works great and holds the 2 bikes quite securely... even when off roading a bit :-)
    Picked it up on sale for $350 bucks a week ago at rackattack (they price matched REI)... normally $440 I think?
    I guess I can always get the 2 bike add-on if needed...

mtbr member
    I also have the Thule T2 916XTR it's a great rack the bikes are super stable on it and works for all wheel sizes. I really like how easy it is to mount and dismount the bikes, it takes a few sec. way better than my roof racks. Also it folds up nicely when not in use.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

Off the back...
    +1 for Kuat. I have the Sherpa. Nice and light, easy on/off. It doesn't like 2.7 tires, but 2.5 and smaller - no problemo. Also, one of the extendo-arm things gets sticky and doesn't want to release occasionally, but some WD40 fixes it up.

mtbr member
    Ive got the Kuat Nv as well love this rack. I use my xterra for work as well as Mtbing so the extra cost was well worth it. I take my rack off at least once a week to haul my trailer or load masonry supplies.
    It's a breeze! I almost went with the Swagman but after picking one up decided it was better to get the lighter one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got my Kuat installed on the Rover and I love it. I had to buy an extension because the hitch on the Range Rover sits way under the rear bumper. I might have shop tack the extension on. But my first impressions of this rack are great! I have already used the intergraded work stand.
    The rack itself is very well built and works perfect with the clam shell rear of the Rover.

Thanks all for your advice. Iíll be shopping with gnarlygear.com again because of the fact they contacted me after the order to tell me they were shipping it for free. I am eyeing the sram xx components. I contacted them and they told me they would actually extend the 10% off if I decide to order them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I like my swagman upright xc 2 bike hitch mount.Went to Rhode island and countless other rides with no rattles,vibes or noises.Love it.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Yes it does. See post #9.

+1upUsa!!!

mtbr member
    Whatever you do, don't get the Yakima Flipside 4 bike hitch mount. We used one for shuttling last weekend and the pin that holds it up popped out and the whole rack folded over when we hit a bump in the road. All four bikes slammed into the ground on top of each other. Luckily we were going slow, so damage was minimal.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast