Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

High Volume AM tires: 2.3-2.5 (true width) with great grip for rocky stuff?

I just got a Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 for the front to replace my 2.4 Specialized Evil Twin Roller (a heavy DH/FR tire that rips, but sucks to lug uphill).

Wow, that is the smallest 2.3 ever! It rolls really fast, but I got my AM -azz kicked on some rocky uphills that I normally clear pretty easily. What is this crap, having to choose all my lines again?! That is so XC

What's something good for the front that'll hook up nicely with aggro (taller with big side lugs) tread in the 2.4-ish category?

mtbr member
    Kenda Nev or Blue Groove 2.35 to 2.5 Stick-E...

Your bike is incorrigible
    WTB moto raptor 2.4. big knobs and high volume at a low weight. personally, I like the 2.24 for rear and the 2.4 for front.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Kenda Nev or Blue Groove 2.35 to 2.5 Stick-E...
    BGs are shite, Nevs tear their side lugs off on rocky terrain. Plus, they roll slow and wear out really fast.... and they suck in sand. Oh, and they are expensive. Other than that, great tires...

My bike came with Mutanoraptors 2.4s. They perform equal or better than the Kendas, roll WAY faster, cost 1/2 as much, last twice as long. Theyre also lighter. They are a dry condition tire, not for mud. The Nevs did climb a little better, I'll give them that...

If you want more aggressive tread, Guyechka might have a good suggestion. I ordered another set of mutanos for $23 ea. thru Cambria...

I ride front range, so I know all about rock...

mtbr member

i use a mutano 2.4 for the rear also and like it....

Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    BGs are shite, Nevs tear their side lugs off on rocky terrain. Plus, they roll slow and wear out really fast.... and they suck in sand. Oh, and they are expensive. Other than that, great tires...

My bike came with Mutanoraptors 2.4s. They perform equal or better than the Kendas, roll WAY faster, cost 1/2 as much, last twice as long. Theyre also lighter. They are a dry condition tire, not for mud. The Nevs did climb a little better, I'll give them that...

If you want more aggressive tread, Guyechka might have a good suggestion. I ordered another set of mutanos for $23 ea. thru Cambria...

I ride front range, so I know all about rock...
    and I've used the Mutano 2.4's for front and back.
    however, he did ask for
    "What's something good for the front that'll hook up nicely with aggro (taller with big side lugs) tread in the 2.4-ish category"
    The BG's 2.35 i run in front have not torn off any lugs, sticks like glue to rocks and rolling resistance and wear is not as much of an issue for the front tire is not as critical for the front as for the rear... Also, the Mutanos are more like a high volume 2.25 than a true 2.4.
    Like the front range, we have a scattering of rocks and sand here in the high desert...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    kenda gluegroove/nevegal combo, allthough slow rolling, will stick to an inverted wall of a cave in granny gear. well, maybe not, but exceptionally grippy.
    for true tire width/weight stats, visit
    www.mtbtires.com
    that guy knows a lot more than most of us on this!

Motion activated
    Word is that Schwabe Big Betty 2.4's have more grip than the 2.35 nevs, and roll better. They also weigh more, but are more like the size of the 2.5 Nev.
    Last edited by Steve71; 06-14-2006 at 04:58 PM.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

whatever she says gueuze.

tires

Kenda Nev. are nice for 700+ grams but if you want something a bit lighter and not paper thin, I'd recommend Nokian NBX 2.3's and Motoraptor 2.25's. Both are about 600 grams +/-. They're light and pretty tough for AM.

Made in China
    Jan 2006
    Maxxis DH minion 2.35 or 2.5 for the front and mutanoraptor 2.4 for the rear. Great combo!

The minion rolls fast and awesome grip in loose and hardpack, mutanoratpor climbs well and rolls really nice rocks and hard pack....and it's pretty good in soft stuff even.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 is fricken' huge. I love them.

I've also had good luck with a 2.5 Blue Groove, though only used it in the front.

And some of the Specialized offerings in the 2.3-2.4 range are nice and big. I picked up some super cheap from a local shop that had some hanigng around from new bike purchase take off/swaps. Been pretty happy with them, too.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

VooDoo user.
    While I liked My DTC nevgals they wore fast and the outer lugs are tearing off. They roll slow and the one regular Stick-E I have on the rear is a joke.

My Big Betty's should be here any day.

Can't friggin wait. GOOEY GLUEY BETTY

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    While I liked My DTC nevgals they wore fast and the outer lugs are tearing off. They roll slow and the one regular Stick-E I have on the rear is a joke.

that was exactly why i ran the BG on the front; figured it would get shredded very quickly on the back.

running sticky rubber on a rear tire for me isn't happening unless i decide to race with them, or someone else is paying for them!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run Azonic Vigilante 2.5 (760g) in the front and an Azonic Refugee 2.3 (600ish g?)in the rear. I ran 2.4 Motoraptors & Mutano's and coudn't stand the lack of traction. The Azonic's work great as AM trail tires up & down, I even ran them for DH but the thin sidewalls are not made for heavy rockgardens.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i just got the kenda nevegals at performance for $12 each, so i bought 4....i like em so far, seem skinny for a 2.35 though....yup $12, who cares how fast they run out...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

banned
    Take a look at IRC Trail Bears. Nice volume in 2.35 and 2.5. Can usually score them for 20 bucks a piece. Oh yeah, thier 700-800'ish grams.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Kenda Cortez 2.4's work nice, DTC for stickier handling, L3R for most long wearing.

+2 on the WTB MotoRaptor 2.4's - a little heavy but solid tires that just keep rolling.

Last year's Spec Adrenalin Pro 2.2's work well too, but seem to wear more quickly than I prefer.

Cont Diesel 2.5 worked very well last spring in Moab, works okay in central Texas, held up well, but buy don't ride them in the wet around here ( Austin ) - apparently their forumation is not good for wet limestone. Blerg.

A couple people around here are also liking the Cinder 2.25's - good 'n tacky 'n grippy tread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    Maxxis DH minion 2.35 or 2.5 for the front and mutanoraptor 2.4 for the rear. Great combo!

The minion rolls fast and awesome grip in loose and hardpack, mutanoratpor climbs well and rolls really nice rocks and hard pack....and it's pretty good in soft stuff even.
    The Minion rolls fast compared to what? A 3 inch Gazzaloddi?

I put my Minions back on my Slayer for ride last week and they felt like boat anchors.
    Mind you, I have been riding Fire XC 2.1’s for a while now (580 grams) and the Minions are about 800 grams, but they are coming off the bike again ASAP.

I know the OP said he rides a lot of rocks, so the Minions might be better there, but they are horrible on soft dirt as they pack up with mud or dirt.
    I brought half the trail home with me last week.
    They are Super Tacky, as the label states.
    Last edited by Swerny; 06-15-2006 at 08:13 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Chillin the Most
    Another vote for the BG/Nev combo. Been on these tires for @3 yrs now, ZERO issues.

One note regarding all these guys tires wearing out too fast or knobs ripping off, stop dragging your fricken brakes. As stated previously I've been using Kenda tires, DTC, LR3 Pro & Stick-e, for @ 3 yrs and never ever had any issues with knobs tearing, but then again I don't drag my brakes. Just seems a logical connection.

Spec'd enduro 2.4. they work really great as a front tire.. very aggressive, always bites.. and rolls pretty well imo. I have the mutano 2.4 in the rear.. they are good enough for me on climbs, but i really like them just because they are fast.
    I would NOT think twice about getting the enduros up front again...just awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Word is that Schwabe Big Betty 2.4's have more grip than the 2.35 nevs, and roll better. They also weigh more, but are more like the size of the 2.5 Nev.

Schwalbe Big Betty is a great tire! With the Gooey Gluey compound it sticks to wet roots, mud, loose rock and what not! The best I have tried! Gives great confidence on the trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Big Earl's

Check out Bontrager Big Earl's...

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by KrankMan
    Schwalbe Big Betty is a great tire! With the Gooey Gluey compound it sticks to wet roots, mud, loose rock and what not! The best I have tried! Gives great confidence on the trail!
    Can't wait for the tubeless verson.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Big Betty

Quote Originally Posted by moment

I'm interested in this tire...where did you order them from and how much?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Try Nokian NBX 2.3's if you can get a hold of them. Great grip, low resistance, banged them on some harsh rock gardens on my hardtail, never flatted out. Way better than those POS Conti Gravitys that pinchflatted every ride. Plus they're pretty good in the wet stuff too.

mtbr member

Smile

I have the Panaracer FR 2.4 front and back and they really hook-up on steep & loose chutes. I have more confidence in them than my older Kenda Kinectics 2.35's plus the .05 difference between the two looks more than that. The FR 2.4 has almost the same width as a maxxis minion 2.7 DH. They do suck in climbing long fireroads, but are acceptable in short loose technical uphills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast