• 08-18-2008
    clvlc4door
    High performance trail tires what kind?
    Man I am soooo excited fall is right around the corner :thumbsup:

So I have been riding on Specialized Enduro Pro D2's which I loved simply cause it stuck to everything no matter how fast i was going and if it did break free it had predictable drift cause of its really big outer nobs. I bought some new tires from specialized they turned out to be crap so I am never buying tires blind again. What should I get guys?

What I am looking for in a tire:
    Wide 2.3 or higher
    Predictable Drift
    Really good traction on just about everything
    Fast DH is what I ride a lot of
    Not super heavy cause I still got to climb

Thanks for any help! :)
  • 08-18-2008
    Bradfly85
    Man, I've been running the Kenda Excavators which are Eric Carter's signature tire and I love them! The seem to last longer than the Blue Groove and the Nevegal and at 2.35 they're pretty big...bigger than the Nevegal. I run them on my AM bike and the 2.5 in the rear on my DH rig (would run in front if they offered a 2.7)
  • 08-18-2008
    DannyC21
    I like the WTB Weirwolfs. I think they grip well, corner well, and stick to the trails extremely well. No complaints there.

Also, I know a few DH riders who really like the Maxxis High Rollers, and the Kenda Nevegals seem to be pretty popular too.

But my real advice is to try and get another set of the Specialized Enduro Pro D2's. If you "loved" them then why try something else? Unless Specialized stopped making them (not sure if that was what you were trying to get across in you post).
  • 08-18-2008
    tomsmoto
    any reason you want to move away from the eduro pro d2's?

for wide rims (alex supra d's)i really liked my rampages. for narrower rims (wtb speediscs) the 2.35 rampages sucked, i couldnt believe how unstable they were. i put a 2.1 nevegal dtc on and its doing awesome. if i had a wider rim id go back to the rampage 2.35's though!

i ran hutchison pythons and barracudas out back and really didnt like either. no traction, no knobs, no protection.. i guess they were light and might be good for hardpack racing, but im not racing, and dont ride hardpack.
  • 08-18-2008
    CharacterZero
    which tires did you buy blindly?

also, i know of a guy with a 2.4 and a 2.2 enduro (non-ust) for sale, will fwd you his information if you want it.
  • 08-18-2008
    taterbug
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    which tires did you buy blindly?

also, i know of a guy with a 2.4 and a 2.2 enduro (non-ust) for sale, will fwd you his information if you want it.

Big Betty 2.4 front and Fat Albert 2.35 rear. Best tires I have ever run. You will stop buying tires after trying this combo
  • 08-18-2008
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by taterbug
    Big Betty 2.4 front and Fat Albert 2.35 rear. Best tires I have ever run. You will stop buying tires after trying this combo

Heh...I have a BB2.4 on the way...I will be reluctant to take off the Enduro 2.4 that is on there!

From all accounts, the BB last forever (as do the Enduros), so the expense is offset - unlike the Nevegal/BlueGroove that need replacing every 3 months due to knob shedding.
  • 08-18-2008
    taterbug
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Heh...I have a BB2.4 on the way...I will be reluctant to take off the Enduro 2.4 that is on there!

From all accounts, the BB last forever (as do the Enduros), so the expense is offset - unlike the Nevegal/BlueGroove that need replacing every 3 months due to knob shedding.

I was running a Nevegal 2.35 front/2.1 rear until the BB/FA combo. Now, I no longer swap tires out like I used to. :thumbsup:
  • 08-18-2008
    amrgb
    I find the Nevegal to be an unpredictable tire. In one run it hooks fine, next run at virtually the same speed and line it lets go.
  • 08-18-2008
    Uncle Six Pack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    any reason you want to move away from the eduro pro d2's?

They don't make them anymore. I lucked out and got a brand new Enduro Pro 2.4 included with my used bike, then I found a new matching 2.3 on eBay for the rear. Sweet combination, but there won't be many new ones left anymore.
  • 08-18-2008
    clvlc4door
    Yeah I would love to have a fresh set of D2's on my bike before the fall but specialized did stop making like 2 months ago I should of gotten them then :( I bought the escatar controll 2 bliss and man it sucks on high speed turns. Only reason I am moving away from them is cause I have worn these things wayyy down and the sidewalls are pretty fugged up. Yeah send me that info and I will check it out,

How are the Kenda Excavators in high speed turns in dry conditions? and in wet?
  • 08-19-2008
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clvlc4door
    Yeah I would love to have a fresh set of D2's on my bike before the fall but specialized did stop making like 2 months ago I should of gotten them then :( I bought the escatar controll 2 bliss and man it sucks on high speed turns. Only reason I am moving away from them is cause I have worn these things wayyy down and the sidewalls are pretty fugged up. Yeah send me that info and I will check it out,

How are the Kenda Excavators in high speed turns in dry conditions? and in wet?

PM Sent.

FWIW, the Chunder looks like more of an Enduro-replacement than the ESkar (running one rear now)
  • 08-19-2008
    clvlc4door
    So your running the chunder? how is it?
  • 08-19-2008
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clvlc4door
    So your running the chunder? how is it?

Nope, not available at the LBS in Austin...we aren't eXXXtreme enough.

I am running an Enduro 2.4UST F, Eskar 2.3 R. I have a Big Betty 2.4 UST that arrived today, but haven't decided how to rotate these thru.

I would try a Chunder if I could get it in true UST - the 2bliss means I have to run about 40psi to not flat...lame!
  • 08-19-2008
    CA_Descender
    A buddy of mine recommended me some Syncros Point-N-Chute's, 2.35, so I put one one the front a while ago. So far it has been very predictable and has good grip on the trails around here, hard pack, loose top soil, slick rock and they get a good bite in deep sand. They also seem to be wearing very well and take a pounding pretty good.

I will be getting a set of the Point-N-Chutes in 2.5 to try on the DH bike and see how they perform ...