Radical Rookie

Here we go again: RM Flatline, Transition TR450, Splesh Demo or Knolly Podium

Hi guys,

Here we go again. Need some opionions for a DH rig that is agile. Won't be playing hardcore stuff like ridgeline or Rampage wannabe kinda level. The typical DH trails only.

So here goes:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Transition TR450
    Specialized Demo
    Knolly Podium

And also:

What do you guys think of the Cosair Konig 78?

Thanks!

Perpetual Hack
    Define typical dh trails...

Do you ride at a lift park at all?
    You prefer flow and berms or loose and gnar?
    You like jumps and drops?
    What is your skill level?

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Radical Rookie
    My nearest downhill track is a boat ride away in Indonesia. It is a easy track as compare to those I read in Pinkbikes. It is more flowy than gnarly. Further up north at Chiangmai, there are some intermediate to advance trails with trails that are long, steep and some part gnarly. There is a bike park up north too which provides a good slections of downhill trails. Over here, our lifts are mostly vehicles but yes we do have lift service.

I like my bike agile. My own skill level is average.

Thanks

mtbr member
    For your description of non-gnarly trails I wouldn't recommend any of those bikes. A solid 160mm bike should do the trick in most situations.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    For your description of non-gnarly trails I wouldn't recommend any of those bikes. A solid 160mm bike should do the trick in most situations.
    I agree with his dudeness, you really don't need a dual crown sled. If you still want a long travel bike that can take a dual crown then get a spesh status 2, cheaper than the demo and still 200mm of travel.

Radical Rookie
    Hi all,

these are the tracks that I will wanna use the bike on:
    Cikole Bandung "Atherton Trail" - YouTube
    Downhill Mountain Biking Chiang Mai - YouTube

Radical Rookie
    Apologies if I sound blunt here, but how many of you really do ridgeline runs or rampage style hucks. I believe its only a handful here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie nick View Post
    Apologies if I sound blunt here, but how many of you really do ridgeline runs or rampage style hucks. I believe its only a handful here.
    Exactly why you get a 160mm bike. Nothing in the first video required a downhill bike, I would ride my blur TRc on those trails
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Radical Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    Exactly why you get a 160mm bike. Nothing in the first video required a downhill bike, I would ride my blur TRc on those trails
    Ok thanks, I get the idea. So I should not sell my Splesh Enduro which is 170mm for these? and save some dough hehe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie nick View Post
    Ok thanks, I get the idea. So I should not sell my Splesh Enduro which is 170mm for these? and save some dough hehe
    Exactly. Maybe upgrade the enduro if you really want to spend some cash. Or buy a new 130-170mm bike, maybe something carbon. I used to ride a 6 inch bike and while it was fine, went down to an agressive 5 inch bike because it is a much better bike for here in socal, also went carbon cause I could. Everybody wants more travel, but rarely does anyone actually need it.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Radical Rookie
    NOTF,
    I actually wanted to change bike cos I feel its an overlap with my RMB Element which I use for local trails. And the Enduro is like too much bike for normal day endurance long rides and yet not all the way there for DH trails. And I have a good deal that requires me to only top up about a grand for the upgrade to RMB Flatline (if I sell the Enduro).

For Cikole, I had even contemplated riding the trail with my Blk Mkt Killswitch but the dudes told me I might compensate the fun with lack of speed and too much concentration. So a proper DH bike will get me to really enjoy the trail more.

So does the bike arsenal part affects the decision making?