mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Help: Trying to get my first AM bike, and then some...

Hello guys...

I am trying to get my very first bike, and frankly, I still don't know what to get.

I want a bike that can do almost everything; I can go commuting with it, take it to the trails, and also maybe do a little FR/DH with it; so basically its about everything. And I dont have much to spend, max could be $800.

I'm leaning towards the iron horse yakuza aniki, or the iron horse warrior, theyre a pretty good deal at rscycles.

Your suggestions would really help; please...

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd start leaning away from the Yakuza Aniki, for $800 you might be getting a decent frame but the components on it are pretty low end and chances are that if you start doing some aggresive trails that stuff would start breaking, busting your $800 limit. In fact, stray away from all full suspension if you only want to buy new, used bikes open up a whole new bag though.

IH Warrior is more of an XC bike, which can hinder you on the DH but will make a for a better bike for you want.

If this is your first bike, stop by your local shop and try them out, its important to get a frame that fits right with your body, not with your wallet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I see.

Ok thanks. So hardtails would really be way better for a first rig than full susp. rides?

what hardtails would be great to start off?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have done a few searches, and I thought of getting either the Iron Horse Warrior 5.0, pretty good stock components (deore/LX) hardtail, and the Jamis Komodo I.

I liked the Jamis' geom, but stock components are sram sx-4's, and brakes are tektro mech's/.

any thoughts?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    If i were you mate i'd deffo look at a nice second hand full sus rig, would be the way to go.
    Amazing how many people buy really nice rigs, dont ride them, loose a fortune on them which is your huge gain

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok, I can see your point.

Thanks for the suggestion. But for a new hardtail rig, what could you recommend?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride an 07 Specialized Rockhopper Disc, and overall, I like the bike as a whole. It has handled everything I've thrown at it pretty well. I wish it were spec'd better(shimano discs, alivio derailleurs, Rock Shox Dart 3), but if you look at the Rockhopper Pro or Comp...they aren't spec'd too bad. I have thrown some urban stuff at it(4' drops to flat concrete), some dirt jumping at it(nothing major, just some of the intermediate stuff at our local DJ park), and some single track at it. I have also ridden it on the "Advanced" Downhill line they set up at the local ski slopes for a weekend race. I didn't race, but I did have a pretty good time riding the slope with it. For the 650 dollar price tag, its not a bad entry level HT which is exactly what I got it for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I see. Thanks!

Probably I'll get a HT, ride some, try them out, see what gives the best feel...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boylagz
    I see. Thanks!

Probably I'll get a HT, ride some, try them out, see what gives the best feel...
    IMO, the best way to develop your skills and technique is to start out on a HT. Once you get things dialed in, then step up to a FS and see how you fly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    awesome... thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't know how hard you plan on thrashing it, but here are a couple things I've done on my Rockhopper. Some of the pics aren't of me, but I have done the same obstacles.

My buddy on his 06 Hardrock hucking a drop, followed by another buddy on a heavily modified Coiler.

Same guy riding the Hardrock at the local DJ's

Me at the DJ's(ended up casing the jump this time around, but I normally clear it...MORE SPEED!)

Buddy hucking his Hardrock: 4-5' Urban drop to flat

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    pretty cool. Thanks so much for the insights...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boylagz
    pretty cool. Thanks so much for the insights...
    While the 07 RockHopper Disc is not spec'd all that great, my skills are holding me back from doing bigger, more difficult obstacles...not the bike. There is only one local obstacle that I have not seen someone do on a HT, and that's an 8' drop to a very, very small transition.