View Poll Results: Which Tires set up

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conti Trail King UST Black Chili 2.2 and 2.4

12 60.00%
  • Hans Dampf Trailstar front pacestar rear

8 40.00%
    I'm with stupid

New question here. Help! Tire set up you would run?

Have a "enduro" Race coming up this weekend, I cannot seem to decide on which set of tires to run. Its over mixed conditions from loose to hard pack and rocky to deeper gravel and sand. Which would you choose.

Trail king Black chili 2.2 Ust rear and 2.4 Ust front. Heavy but pretty quick rolling.

Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar front and Pace star rear. Comes out about 3/4 to a whole pond lighter then the TK but rolls slower.

Both have great traction but I cant decide which I would like better.

No known cure
    After double flatting in the Ashland 12 Mile Super D several years ago one mile in, and having to walk the rest of the way to the finish, I over tire. Old school Michelin DH 16 up front and Conti Rubber Queen out back. Both tubeless. I haven't even bothered to take them off since last year's race and use them for daily trail rides.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    if I were racing this weekend I would want a tire I know. and at pressures I know. I don't think you can loose with either. theres also the minion 2.5f front @850g.that tire runs good at really low pressure. its probably the narrowest of the three but pretty tall also.
    that 2.4 tk is pretty heavy. but I don't know, they make some pretty big claims about the black chili compound. any of um will be good. which are a you itching to try the most?

the damf has the most transitional tread and is the priciest. they also claim a technical made compound.

Huffy Rider
    I have no experience with the Hans but I run TK UST's out here in AZ and they hold up quite well. Traction is real good and they hold air for quite a while when set up tubeless. I don't have anything bad to say them.

mtbr member
    Its hard to beat a tough fast rolling grippy tire like the trai king. Hans dampf i would only use if traction was really poor. Do you have both sets now do you ride em both? Nothing is worse then trying somthing new for a race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Have a "enduro" Race coming up this weekend, I cannot seem to decide on which set of tires to run. Its over mixed conditions from loose to hard pack and rocky to deeper gravel and sand. Which would you choose.

Trail king Black chili 2.2 Ust rear and 2.4 Ust front. Heavy but pretty quick rolling.

Hans Dampf 2.35 Trailstar front and Pace star rear. Comes out about 3/4 to a whole pond lighter then the TK but rolls slower.

Both have great traction but I cant decide which I would like better.
    If dry, I'd probably run the HD PaceStar front, Conti Trail King 2.2 rear.

How does that Trail king measure? Enough volume for you?
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

I'm with stupid
    I have both sets here and have used them before. So its just a matter of last min what should I do with the bike for the race thing.

Bholwell why the pacestar instead of the trail star up front? Wouldnt the stickier tire help out with cornering in the hard pack and on rocks as well as wet? The volume is ok for the 2.2 rear but I do think it is a bit small but it brakes decent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I have both sets here and have used them before. So its just a matter of last min what should I do with the bike for the race thing.

Bholwell why the pacestar instead of the trail star up front? Wouldnt the stickier tire help out with cornering in the hard pack and on rocks as well as wet? The volume is ok for the 2.2 rear but I do think it is a bit small but it brakes decent.
    Because it's a race. You want the fastest tires that offer enough grip. In the dry, soft sticky tires are only marginally more grippy than soft tacky compounds, Except for maybe Moondust over granite.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    I've never used either tire, but why go with the same front and rear? If you look at the recent pro racers in the enduro competitions the majority were running grippy front and faster rears. Some combos I saw here 24 Bikes of the Enduro World Series - Pinkbike

F= Maxxis HR2/Minion/Ardent> Rear = Ardent/Larsen TT

F= Schwalbe Hans Dampf> Rear = Nobby Nic

Some others I'm thinking about Minion/Monorail, Hans Dampf/Smart Sam.

mtbr member
    Fat Albert 2.4 Front with HD 2.3 rear is what I would use...we have same kind of dirt here and they grip like a MOFO ! if you want go with a smaller rear like a Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic in 2.25 if it has flat section where you need to pedal...otherwise just point it down and hold on...

I'm with stupid
    Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up running the Hans dampf combo since it rained big the day before the race. Sadly the gound sucked it up like a sponge and it dried out and the Hans setup felt supper slow on the pedal parts of the race. I ended up 2nd in my class ( 21-34 cat1 and cat2). Lost the race on the last stage by 30 second due to a crash and being beat down and the guy being a super strong pedaler. Pretty close field 30 second gap with over a hour of "race" time plus the transfer stages. Lessons learned for anyone reading this, faster rear tire is a must!!

mtbr member
    Oh wow....big tire set up. But looks like you were pretty strong if you kept up with the guy in front to lose by 30 sec. If you had a Racing Ralph in the back you probably would have won...The Fat Albert/Hans Dampf I use is a hard combo to pedal effeciently but super grip on the DH section. like I said try running a racing Ralph and in fact they have 2 new tires that are perfect for the rear that you might like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ardent 2.25 rear. whatever you like slightly bigger up front.

gotta get up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Moondust over granite.
    which we actually ended up riding on at times, 2.5 muddy mary front / pacestar hans dampf rear kept me upright given the race stages/conditions (at least when the trail pointed down.... other wise yeah that combo was pretty slow rolling) congrats to HTRN on 2nd place, musta picked a decent combo!