mtbr member

Help: a tall rider needs to choose a better fitting bike.

To make a long story short. I bought my first full suspension bike last year. it is a transition bottle rocket and it is too small for trail riding. i am a long 6'2" with about a 36 inch inseam and long arms. i have an xl 29er hard tail that is a little too big but very stable. i have been riding this since 2010 and i now want a bike to cover a bike park and trails as well. i live in philadelphia and my dealer sells transition, but doesn't have any covert frames in stock.

the bottlerocket is great at dh, but terrible on the trail due to the short top tube and seat tube. i couldn't fit on it until i put a 70mm stem on it.

here are my wants: a 6" or plus bike(150-180mm); can handle a dh bike park and pedal trails as well (i have little jumping skill; just started mb in 2010, no bmx experience); a heavier duty shock than rp23; and the ability to take a 27" wheel and tire combo.

i want to swap components from br over to the new bike except for the fork. i believe i can sell the frame, headset, rear axle and fork for a better price than selling the whole bike and buying a new build.

my 4 only bike choices: pivot firebird; knolly chilcotin; banshee rune; transition covert. i will buy a used travel adjust fork like a fox 180 talas or lyric 150-180.

pros: banshee and knolly have adjustable geo. banshee, knolly and pivot have an xl option or long larges. transition takes a 31.9 seat post.
    cons: the covert stops at large 24" tt and 19" st. . knolly and pivot dealers are an hour away. no banshee dealer near me. won't be able to test ride any of them.

do any of the other bikes take a 31.9 seat post?

i have been reading forums and builds. i know that a lot of knolly riders think the chili is better than the firebird, but i am looking for advice from riders of these 4 bikes that are close to my height.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

mtbr member
    I just finished my Rune and I can tell you its amazing. I'm 6'0 and the large fits like a glove. The Chicotin looks like an amazing bike too. I jave a buddy that rides their Endorphin and is mega stoked on it. He's your height too. Never have ridden the Firebird, it may be awesome but it's the only Pivot bike i don't like looking at.

My Rune sits at 31.3lbs and is pretty easy to clmb. Not the greatest because its slacker than other frames bit its by no means a chore to get to the top of the hill. Especially if your fork has travel adjust and your shock has a lockout or can be firmed up. I have a CCDBa and it works quite well on climbs.