mtbr member
    May 2009

Help with squeaky Top Fuel 110

My 2005 Trek Top Fuel has developed several sqeaks. They seem to come from everywhere. I have rebuilt the suspension pivots, the bottom bracket and cleaned/tightened the skewers. Anyone else have the same problems?

mtbr member
    Are you sure there isn't a crack somewhere in the frame. Also when does it seem to squeak...ie... coasting only, cranking hard up hills etc...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have looked for a crack till I am cross eyed and cannot find one. It seems to happen under horizontal tension such as climbing or cornering. Several times after a ride, I have cleaned the rocker pivots. This seems to help but about 15 min into the next ride the creak slowly starts to come back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To find a creak/squeak associated with suspension movement, with the bike on a stand, remove the shock and cycle the suspension. This should tell you if there is a pivot or linkage bearing problem, but like you said, if it only happens under load, it can be tricky.

Sometimes, a shifter cable housing or brake hose rubbing on the frame can cause noise too.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by brlongley
    I have looked for a crack till I am cross eyed and cannot find one. It seems to happen under horizontal tension such as climbing or cornering. Several times after a ride, I have cleaned the rocker pivots. This seems to help but about 15 min into the next ride the creak slowly starts to come back.
    Lube one pivot at a time till the squeak goes away, that way you can at least isolate where its coming from...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the advice, i will try that this weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had a similar but less extensive issue 2 years ago. My mechanic lubed all the pivots with Tri-Flow and it actually got worse. After cleaning the pivots of the tri-flow I found it was the rear skewer causing the issue. I raced the rest of that year with no more issues. In spring of 2008 I rode the bike in Hurricane, UT and Grand Junction, CO and have been plagued with the noise ever since. I have since replaced all the bushings, which seems to have had minimal effect.