Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Help in seat dropper decision - down to 3!

The CB Krono - crapped itself - worked great for the first 500 miles of rides - now on its way to CB, gonna take weeks and I know what the ultimate result will be as many others have witnessed -

so - now that I'm hooked on the use of a dropper for so many reasons - ive narrowed it to 3 options:

pricepoint/value option:
    KS eten
    + for money looks great and can be had for about 139 on the web
    + KS getting raves across their new line
    - heavy and only 4"

Midrange workhorse:
    Specialized Command Post Blacklite
    + seem to be simple and durable
    - fixed positons and taint slammer return

Leader in the clubhouse:
    KS LEV
    + getting rave reviews everywhere
    + fixed cable mount is sweet
    + decent weight
    - price - local shops want $400+, online for 313.
    ... want to support the local guys but obviously don't want to overpay

Im hoping my next bike will have same seatpost size - and whatever I buy can transplant- no guarantees

any thoughts/help??

mtbr member
    I have the Command Post Blacklite and am very happy with it. It has performed reliably for almost a year and half now. It's easy to maintain and with the occasional application of Slick Honey, there's not too much to worry about. If I had to nitpick, I wish they had a fixed cable mount. I purchased a Rockshox thingamajig that's zip tied just below my seat collar and it prevents the cable from bowing when in the down position.

Would be a toss up for me b/t the KS and CP. I really like the fixed cable mount on the KS, but I also prefer the fixed height positions on the CP. 3 positions is plenty for me, and with a positive click let's you know you're in the right spot you never have to wonder or make fine tune adjustments. Probably just personal preference and I'm sure given some time on the KS I would adjust to the infinite positions.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    The CB Krono - crapped itself - worked great for the first 500 miles of rides - now on its way to CB, gonna take weeks and I know what the ultimate result will be as many others have witnessed -

so - now that I'm hooked on the use of a dropper for so many reasons - ive narrowed it to 3 options:

pricepoint/value option:
    KS eten
    + for money looks great and can be had for about 139 on the web
    + KS getting raves across their new line
    - heavy and only 4"

Midrange workhorse:
    Specialized Command Post Blacklite
    + seem to be simple and durable
    - fixed positons and taint slammer return

Leader in the clubhouse:
    KS LEV
    + getting rave reviews everywhere
    + fixed cable mount is sweet
    + decent weight
    - price - local shops want $400+, online for 313.
    ... want to support the local guys but obviously don't want to overpay

Im hoping my next bike will have same seatpost size - and whatever I buy can transplant- no guarantees

any thoughts/help??
    What size LEV are you looking for? I might be able to help you with a 31.6 if that is what you need.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    I've been running the LEV for a few months, and it's been great. Based on my experience and what I hear from the LBS, the three best choices for durability are the Reverb(new!), Blacklite, and KS LEV. Make sure to get the latest model of Reverb, as the first generation had a lot of problems. My LBS has had great results with the latest Reverb.

Also, there seems to be a problem with the KS LEV in the 27.2 size. KS is handling it through warranty, but still a pain in the a$$ when you're shelling out $300+ for a new post. The other diameters seem to be fine, with the usual smattering of problems with any seat post. Most of the issues I read about here on MTBR and in other reviews are related to installation. It's not like installing grips or a saddle. There are several steps: air pressure, saddle angle and rotation, cable routing, cutting housing, etc. But follow the installation instruction videos and you'll have no problems.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    You might consider the Giant Contact Switch Remote Dropper Seatpost , can be had for under $200.00, I really like mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer View Post
    I have the Command Post Blacklite and am very happy with it. It has performed reliably for almost a year and half now. It's easy to maintain and with the occasional application of Slick Honey, there's not too much to worry about. If I had to nitpick, I wish they had a fixed cable mount. I purchased a Rockshox thingamajig that's zip tied just below my seat collar and it prevents the cable from bowing when in the down position.

Would be a toss up for me b/t the KS and CP. I really like the fixed cable mount on the KS, but I also prefer the fixed height positions on the CP. 3 positions is plenty for me, and with a positive click let's you know you're in the right spot you never have to wonder or make fine tune adjustments. Probably just personal preference and I'm sure given some time on the KS I would adjust to the infinite positions.
    +1 on this.
    Command Post Blacklite user here as well. Very satisfied!!

LCW
    mtbr member

Help in seat dropper decision - down to 3!

Rockshox Reverb - mine has been flawless with some good usage
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Thomson just came out with one but its expensive.

I have had my 150mm LEV for several months. Very happy so far.

I think theyre both on bikebling. Use coupon: 15off300

usually cranky
    never tried a lev but i cant imagine it can be smoother than a reverb.

mtbr member
    Had the Thomson for a bit now. Very smooth.
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Best post for proven long term durability is the Gravity Dropper. No other post has as long a proven a track record as the GD. None even come close.

It should tell you something that while there are loads of folks out singing praises of their posts for going 6-12 months without issue, GD is the only one you will hear people say that they have been running for 5, 6, 7 years.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Best post for proven long term durability is the Gravity Dropper. No other post has as long a proven a track record as the GD. None even come close.

It should tell you something that while there are loads of folks out singing praises of their posts for going 6-12 months without issue, GD is the only one you will hear people say that they have been running for 5, 6, 7 years.
    would that be the classic only?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Have been running a LEV on my bike for a little over a year. Works as new... It's an amazing piece of equipment. A while back I came across a guy that had a Doss on his bike. We compared same. The LEV was the clear winner. He liked the Lev so much, that he told me he was going to order one when he got home...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    would that be the classic only?
    I know the classic for sure, I have not paid as much attention to the Turbo.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I know the classic for sure, I have not paid as much attention to the Turbo.
    Kapusta is right. The GD Turbo is about as reliable as it gets. This from the owner of Reverbs, KS and someone who's binned Joplins, Kronofails.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

squish, squish in da fish
    uh, he said he's not paid much attn to the turbo. lol

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    uh, he said he's not paid much attn to the turbo. lol
    Poor phrasing on my part. I've had the GD Turbo so am vouching for it. I was agreeing with what he said about the Classic
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2013
    +1 for Gravity Dropper. I thought I wanted infinitly adjustable height, but now that I'm used to it, I think I like the 3 position better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have had the KS Lev for 2 months and love it.
    I use to have a Gravity Dropper Turbo, it was great, till my bike got stolen. Had it for 18 months, no problems at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for all the feedback! greatly appreciated. It was a tuff decision for sure - but ultimately came down to what was available in my "gotta have it now" mind once I decided. I went with the LEV - over the CP - and truly feel both would do the job. Ultimately i wanted the fixed cable position.

Have now ridden and it is smooth like butta in its operation - i know like a sus fork - proper care and feeding will help determine long term reliability.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gravity Dropper

mtbr member
    +1more for CPB. Almost 2 yrs of abuse and solid as a rock. I too prefer the 3 fixed positions for quick height adjusting - all ya need.

ragley blue pig x

Re: Help in seat dropper decision - down to 3!

Had a gravity dropper turbo multi for the last twelve months of shity scottish weather.. it works like new still..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I've been running the LEV for a few months, and it's been great. Based on my experience and what I hear from the LBS, the three best choices for durability are the Reverb(new!), Blacklite, and KS LEV.
    I guess you or the LBS haven't used a Gravity Dropper? It's ugly, but keeps on going and going and going and going. Their CS is great too. If you need a part, they are almost shipping it as you are thinking about it. (A new boot and collar seal are sometimes needed after a few yrs of many miles)
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I've never seen anyone with a GD, but I hear they're great. Clunky and weird looking, but reliable and easy to service. It was a close runner up when I was picking out the LEV.
    "Got everything you need?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast