ibis Mojo
    yeti 575
    Santa Cruz nomad
    Ellsworth moment
    iron horse 6point4

i am going to put a fox 36 talas and a fox dhx air on the bike

i weigh 120pounds and height is 5feet 7inches

the bike has to be really light

I'm going to use this bike for very steep climbs, technical rocky terrain, single track, and very rocky technical fast descents.

which one would you recommend and why?

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Those are quite different bikes.

The Ibis and yeti are trailbikes (rough XC, rocky trails, small drops/jumps etc). They will be nippy-feeling and XC-ish but with some strength to hit the rougher trails.

The Nomad and Iron Horse are much bigger, burlier bikes which will handle the big jumps and rough riding better (light freeride I guess), but be heavier and less lively on the more XC-based stuff.

I would suggest looking around the forum for a while. Try to find posts with pictures/descriptions of how those bikes are being used. See which best matches your local riding. It sounds like you don't need more than the Ibis/Yeti, but it's hard to say.

The manufacturer-specific forums are probably best for this, although be prepared to sift through lots of biased crap!

edit: if you're going to put a Fox 36 on the bike I would go with the Nomad/6 point, since they are designed around this length of fork. The Ibis is designed around a 140mm fork. It would be strong enough for the 36 but it would change the geometry. My feeling is that if you really NEED the 36 then go Nomad/IH.

workin' it Administrator
    If you want light go with the Ellsworth or the 575.

If you want burly and strong go with the IH.

If you want in between go SC.

Can't say much about the Ibis.

You also have 3 types of rear suspension listed from the Linkaged single pivot Yeti to the DW linked bikes IBIS and IH to the VPP bike Santa Cruz to the 4 bar Ellsworth. All have differing characteristics in regards to climbing-descending-braking-compliance.

Determine what your terrain requires and this will guide your decision. Don't base your purchase on light. This will just give you a bike that won't live up to what you want it to do.

Based on your state goals for the bike I would side towards the heavier bikes with around 6" front and rear. I suspect that the FOX36 may void the warranty of both the IBIS and the Ellsworth. I would check before committing to either of those.

Best bet is to test ride all the bikes that you can before making a decision. Just a ride around a parking lot maybe enough to convince you that you might not be suited to a certain bike.

Worked for me with a Nomad. Hated it the minute I rode it yet in my mind it was the ultimate bike for me and then loved a DW link BMC that I thought I would hate. Felt natural the first second I threw my leg over it.
    Try this: HTFU

respect the wildlife
    1. Join MTBR
    2. New thread: "What bike should I get?"
    3. New thread: "What fork should I get?"
    4. New thread: "What's the lightest bike?"
    5. New thread: "What bike should I get?"
    6. New thread: "What bike should I get?"

Please just buy one already, and spare us the pains of your buyer's agony. When you outgrow it in a year, you can start another half dozen threads on what to do next.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher

You seem to know a lot about these bikes. I have two questions for you:
    When you say "Can't say much about the Ibis" why is that? I'd like to hear your opinion of the Ibis.
    Also, when you suggest that the Ellsworth or the Yeti would be good choices to go light, wouldn't that depend more on the actual build? I've seen Mojo's that are 23 pounds and Mojo's that are 32 pounds...same frame, different build.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

jones'in
    Get a Reign and forget about it.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    You seem to know a lot about these bikes. I have two questions for you:
    When you say "Can't say much about the Ibis" why is that? I'd like to hear your opinion of the Ibis.
    Also, when you suggest that the Ellsworth or the Yeti would be good choices to go light, wouldn't that depend more on the actual build? I've seen Mojo's that are 23 pounds and Mojo's that are 32 pounds...same frame, different build.
    oh is just that I have no experience with them whatsoever so I can't opinion about them.

I have seen both Yeti's and ellsworths build up very light but never Nomads or IH's (of any sort really) and yes it is quite dependent on the build but the nomads and IH's aside from having much heavier frames lend themselves to being built heavier due to their geometry and suspension characteristics.

I am more of a proponent of build it for what it is designed for. I wouldn't argue that a mojo with a 36 on it and build to rock Freeride would be nice but it isn't really that kind of bike and there would be better bikes suited for that kind of activity. On the other hand I bet someone could get a Nomad into the 25lb range but it again isn't that kind of bike.

That's it.
    Try this: HTFU

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

Based on your state goals for the bike I would side towards the heavier bikes with around 6" front and rear. I suspect that the FOX36 may void the warranty of both the IBIS and the Ellsworth. I would check before committing to either of those.
    Just to clarify - the mojo takes 160mm front shocks. For example the Fox 36 Talas 160RC2 is a standard upgrade option in any of the stock builds.

I run a 6" (150mm) front fork (Pace Fighter RC41 with 20mm through axel) on my Ibis Mojo and love the feel and results.

The advice to test ride is the standard and best advice for this sort of choice.

You know my steez...

got it

oh is just that I have no experience with them whatsoever so I can't opinion about them.

I have seen both Yeti's and ellsworths build up very light but never Nomads or IH's (of any sort really) and yes it is quite dependent on the build but the nomads and IH's aside from having much heavier frames lend themselves to being built heavier due to their geometry and suspension characteristics.

I am more of a proponent of build it for what it is designed for. I wouldn't argue that a mojo with a 36 on it and build to rock Freeride would be nice but it isn't really that kind of bike and there would be better bikes suited for that kind of activity. On the other hand I bet someone could get a Nomad into the 25lb range but it again isn't that kind of bike.

That's it.
    Makes sense to me! Thanks for the clarification. BTW, cool avatar.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

40 & Fast
    For descending The moment and Iron horse are nice. The Turner RFX (my ride) is lighter than the moment and worthy of your consideration.

Since you want to climb as well check out the inbetween all mountain and xc bikes, Turner spot and Ellsworth epiphany. More than one person whom has tried all the Turners has told me that the spot is the best climber in the Turner line and that it is the best all around mountain bike Turner has ever made. I imagine that the epiphany would be comparable.

For what its worth my RFX climbs better than I expected and absolutely rips on rough trails and DHs.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Knolly Endorphin

At 120lbs and wanting a light bike I don't get the need for the 36 up front, seems like overkill.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa