mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Help picking a new ride!

I'm planning to get a new bike this spring. I currently ride a 2012 Giant XTC Composite 29er and I'm ready for an update. I don't think I want to go fat bike but I want the option of a little more oversized tire...maybe a 3.0 or so. My biggest dilemma is FS or hard tail. I'm a recreational rider, I do not race. I ride on average 3 or 4 times/week anywhere from 10-60 miles at a time, all trails. I've looked at the Trek Stache 7. Other recommendations? Any input is appreciated. Thanks,

mtbr member
    My best advice, just hit as many bike shops as possible and test ride, test ride, test ride. Only you know whatís best for you. Not I, mike or Ike. YOU will know when you ride the perfect bike.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McCree View Post
    I'm planning to get a new bike this spring. I currently ride a 2012 Giant XTC Composite 29er and I'm ready for an update. I don't think I want to go fat bike but I want the option of a little more oversized tire...maybe a 3.0 or so. My biggest dilemma is FS or hard tail. I'm a recreational rider, I do not race. I ride on average 3 or 4 times/week anywhere from 10-60 miles at a time, all trails. I've looked at the Trek Stache 7. Other recommendations? Any input is appreciated. Thanks,
    It sounds like you want a more competent bike. Huge tires make intuitive sense, but giant XC 29ers are historically fairly incompetent (i haven't looked at yours specifically). I bet you could retain all that XC ascending prowess and gain the technical/descending competence you seem to want with an average trail bike, like a SC 5010 or transition scout. I'm not picking out 650b bikes specifically; they're just easy examples of bikes i like and 27/29 is an afterthought choice in today's market.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    many factors...

do you like the 29" wheels? does it ever feel too hard to throw around?

does where you ride feel like it beats you up to much?

what do you like, what dont you like about your ride?

tons of options out there

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Test riding a few is a great idea. One bike shop by me charged $75 to rent a bike for the day, but if youíre a serious buyer they only charge $25. The shop I ended up buying from didnít charge me anything, but they were a smaller shop with fewer options.

The feedback I got when shopping regarding FS v HT is you probably donít need FS, so donít spend the money. But if you need it where you ride, or if you have huge budget, then do it. But that Trek Stache 7 at $2100 will give you way more bang for your buck imo. Having just bought a Stache I bet you could offer $2000 out the door setup tubeless.

mtbr member
    Or just test ride them around the shop for free. I can tell all I need to know just by doing that and you should too. If it comes down to a couple bikes then you may want to trail test them of your not as savvy of a rider.
    Last edited by ALimon; 1 Week Ago at 12:31 PM.