mtbr member
    May 2008

Help picking a new bike please!

I am in the market for a new bike. Currently I have a 2005 Specialized S-Works M5 Epic. Set up very light weight. Also has the Fox Terra Logic (?) suspension front and rear, so extremely efficient climber.

I'm wanting a more AM bike and am hoping to get some recommendations. I want a bike that has better suspension for the descents, but must be a good climber. I'm in the camp that believes that the descent is the reward for the climb before it. I like to climb out of the saddle on medium climbs, so a bike with geometry/ suspension design/ suspension that has the least bob would be great.

I've been out of the MB world for a bit, so I'm in the process of re-educating myself, but it's a little like drinking out of a fire hose with all the new stuff that has come out in the last 5 or so years. Ultimately I think I am probably a good candidate for a 27.5, but feeling that I want to wait a year or two for the big boys to get involved to drive down price and weight. Open to comment on that topic.

I am 6'/ 175lbs and ride in C. Oregon mostly. I'm thinking I want a 5" bike. I have $2500-3000 to spend and am typically the guy that would buy a 1 year old or so bike so that I don't take the initial new bike hit. New would be fine if I can get the right bike for the right price though.

For what it's worth, here are some bikes that have been suggested so far: Trek Fuel, DB Mission Pro, and the Specialized Enduro. Any other bikes that anyone would suggest? 2012 blowouts anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

mtbr member
    Your 3 bike suggestions are listed in order from worst descending to best climbing and vice versa. A happy medium for you would be the trek remedy or specialized stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you. Any other brands/ models to consider? Recommendations on year- ie, stay away from the 2011 model of XX bike, but the 2012 is great for the following reasons, etc.?

mtbr member

Help picking a new bike please!

I'm in a similar position as you. From the big brands I'm leaning towards a 2010+ Giant Trance or Specialized Stumpjumper. There are so many good smaller brands these days that the options are nearly limitless though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I'm in a similar position as you. From the big brands I'm leaning towards a 2010+ Giant Trance or Specialized Stumpjumper. There are so many good smaller brands these days that the options are nearly limitless though.
    That's where I'm at. There are so many choices I don't even know where to start. Hoping to narrow it down a bit with the knowledge base here so I don't have to test ride 50 bikes.

mtbr member
    My buddy just got a Scott Genius 27.5 Seems like a very nice bike. The twin loc lets you control the CTD shock with a bar mounted remote, to me that is about the best new inovation to come along in a while. Click climbs like your Epic, Click nice firm trail , click downhill Full travel.....certainly a bike worth looking at

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PitchCrew View Post
    My buddy just got a Scott Genius 27.5 Seems like a very nice bike. The twin loc lets you control the CTD shock with a bar mounted remote, to me that is about the best new inovation to come along in a while. Click climbs like your Epic, Click nice firm trail , click downhill Full travel.....certainly a bike worth looking at
    I've heard great things about that bike. A bit more than what I am wanting to spend, but who knows. Ultimately, I just want to make sure I pick the best bike for me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Should I look at any of the Santa Cruz bikes? The Blur or the Bronson worth looking at?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am narrowed down between the 29er Stumpjumper Elites and the 29er Giant Trance X0s and and would love any thoughts on one vs. the other. Best bang for the buck, performance, etc.

Also, a friend has a Turner 5.spot 26er that is really well set up that he has for sale. Any thoughts on this bike? I am hoping to ride it this week, but would love any thoughts prior to the ride, and as a comparison to the bikes listed above.

Thanks in advance.

29ers Forever
    If you don't want to look at Cannondale Jekyll or Claymore, then the Spec is the best.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    I would try a Knolly endorphin and turner 5 spot too.