mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Help picking Drivetrain!!

I have a big BMX backround and just bought my first dirt jumper (2009 Jamis Kromo). Needless to say I'm I'm hooked! I'm now planning on building myself a new bike for park and dj stuff and am wanting to convert the kromo into kinda of like a AM hard tail. The frame has derailer tabs and chain guide mounts but as you can probably tell I don't know a ton about mountain bikes. Can you guys help me figure out what to get or at least where to start looking? Price range is pretty open. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    if youre planning on building a second bike u should think about just keeping the kromo for the dirt jump stuff and maybe building up a different bike for the trail duties. The kromo is a dirt jumper and not sure how it would handle on the trails ( although im sure it would be fun it would probably not climb too well) If you're gonna put gears on it u could go 1 x 9 which would be a single ring up front with a chain guide and 9 in the back. Im a big fan of sram but all this is really personal preference. There are a ton of threads in the drivetrain forum that will go in depth if you want info. just do a search

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ya, im planning on going 1x9. i know it wont be an ideal climber, and it does way about 30 lbs, but for me its more important to have an AM bike that has similar enough geometry to feel and ride like my dj bike. Again I'll emphasize the fact that I'm new to the MTB scene and still plan on demoing a lot of stuff. I may find I'd enjoy riding an aggressive AM/FR bike like the scratch or reign x or somthin, but at this point I want something that will feel a lot like a dirt jumper.